• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

Worrying news:

NHS doctors have been warned to look out for a rare but dangerous reaction in children that may be linked to coronavirus infection.

An urgent alert sent out to GPs said that intensive care departments in London and other parts of the UK have been treating severely sick children with unusual symptoms.

This includes "multi-system inflammation" with flu-like symptoms.

Some, but not all, tested positive for coronavirus.

It is unclear how many children have been diagnosed with the new syndrome, although the numbers will be low.

The alert, which was issued to GPs in North London by their clinical commissioning group, said there was "a growing concern" that a coronavirus-related inflammatory syndrome is emerging in children in the UK or that there may be another, as yet unidentified, infection linked to these cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52439005

• Sad 1
34 minutes ago, Damien said:

Worrying news:

NHS doctors have been warned to look out for a rare but dangerous reaction in children that may be linked to coronavirus infection.

An urgent alert sent out to GPs said that intensive care departments in London and other parts of the UK have been treating severely sick children with unusual symptoms.

It is unclear how many children have been diagnosed with the new syndrome, although the numbers will be low.

The alert, which was issued to GPs in North London by their clinical commissioning group, said there was "a growing concern" that a coronavirus-related inflammatory syndrome is emerging in children in the UK or that there may be another, as yet unidentified, infection linked to these cases.

That would be a game changer although at the moment the numbers are too low to make any real judgment. 

Our child had stomach pains at weekend and we did see a doctor but fortunately it was just a bug. 

But I think even though the chances are low, when its your child with symptoms it's very worrying. 

The overall figures are down again today which is good news.

Edited by Niels
9 minutes ago, Niels said:

That would be a game changer although at the moment the numbers are too low to make any real judgment. 

Our child had stomach pains at weekend and we did see a doctor but fortunately it was just a bug. 

But I think even though the chances are low, when its your child with symptoms it's very worrying. 

The overall figures are down again today which is good news.

Don't get your hopes up too much. As pointed out before, Sunday and Monday's figures have been significantly lower than trend every week. 

45 minutes ago, Damien said:

Worrying news:

This should never have been released to the public in this way and the person who initially leaked it to the HSJ (Health Service Journal) really should be ashamed. It was an advisory note to GPs to tell them to be cautious about something that's not evidenced but is suspected. It could genuinely be coincidence given the VERY small numbers (<5 at last count). It's such an untested and unproven issue that it's limited to the one corner of London who sent out the caution note.

The idea of such notes is to allow medical professionals to make better decisions and be aware of risks. It most certainly isn't something that the public should be presented through journalists in this manner as all it does is generate fear with the blunt clinical language without the context of what it means for patients.

• Like 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

redrow  sites planning to re start as they are sure workers can observe the distancing laws, WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have  the people who gave this the nod never been on a building site? - scaffolders bricklayers plasterers etc all work in gangs often travelling to site together, sharing the same welfare facilities and smoking areas etc- utter madness - I would rather take my chances in the locals beer garden for an hour or 2 rather than risk it on a site all week

• Like 1

they come swinging round that corner, they think they're benny goodman

55 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

redrow  sites planning to re start as they are sure workers can observe the distancing laws, WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have  the people who gave this the nod never been on a building site? - scaffolders bricklayers plasterers etc all work in gangs often travelling to site together, sharing the same welfare facilities and smoking areas etc- utter madness - I would rather take my chances in the locals beer garden for an hour or 2 rather than risk it on a site all week

A lot of those things can be changed though. Maybe they have considered some of these things over the last 5 weeks. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

I’ve been working on site for 3 weeks without a problem observing social distancing rules. All plots You’re only allow one person inside people are going in their own van and only allowed one person in the toilet block at a time. As for canteen only go in there to boil the kettle rest of the time on brews and dinner we are sat away from each other at the back of the van. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’ve been working on site for 3 weeks without a problem observing social distancing rules. All plots You’re only allow one person inside people are going in their own van and only allowed one person in the toilet block at a time. As for canteen only go in there to boil the kettle rest of the time on brews and dinner we are sat away from each other at the back of the van. 

Indeed. There is also the trusty thermos flask, but the problems highlighted are really simple to fix.

Things will be different. If people accept that we can tweak a hell of a lot to make many things work.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Indeed. There is also the trusty thermos flask, but the problems highlighted are really simple to fix.

Things will be different. If people accept that we can tweak a hell of a lot to make many things work.

We are roofers so would need 3 flasks each to get through the day we have one but it needs topping up a couple of times. . Things are definitely different as you’d expect as it stands it’s working fine but has got busier in the last week. If it gets so bad we don’t think we can stick to social distancing anymore we would just knock it on the head until that part of site was empty again. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ckn said:

There’s still over 15,000 people in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.

Just for context - what’s our ICU capacity at a normal time? ie is 15,000 an exceptional number of people to be hospitalised with a high risk condition (of whatever nature) at one time?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just for context - what’s our ICU capacity at a normal time? ie is 15,000 an exceptional number of people to be hospitalised with a high risk condition (of whatever nature) at one time?

The average is around 1/4 of COVID hospitalised patients are in ITU, the rest are in either normal wards or high intensity beds. That’s still just shy of 4000 patients though in ITU. 

Prior to COVID, we had 3700 ITU beds. 

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its interesting to look at the data from Google on how people's mobility has changed. It really is staggering to see the difference. For anyone interested you can look at the link below at your region and literally any country in the world:

https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

It does strike me how the UK compares far more favourably than Demark, and Liverpool has been far better behaved than Copenhagen. I mention this as it goes against stereotype.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There are over 100,000 acute and overnight beds in England.

In December NHS England figures showed 83% occupancy.

There are actually 5,900 ICU beds I have attached a link for information.

All of the coronovirus patients won't be ICU, not at the same time certainly.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/nhs-hospital-bed-numbers

25 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It does strike me how the UK compares far more favourably than Demark, and Liverpool has been far better behaved than Copenhagen. I mention this as it goes against stereotype.

That is interesting and the UK is closer to France and Spain that has much stricter lockdowns. Sweden's figures as a result of their more relaxed policy is interesting too.

1 hour ago, BryanC said:

BTW - Doing a sterling job of keeping me on "ignore" old lad.

Pathetic.

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well have been this damn virus, and he had to look after the entire forum on his own.

Go find another site to troll.

Goodbye.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

• ckn unlocked this topic

Unlocking the thread again to allow for this morning's content to be discussed off the more toxic politics threads.

A number of posts removed, haven't gone back more than last night as we have jobs to do. Have fun in a slightly sanitised thread free of the dross of politics.