On 26/04/2020 at 20:46, GeordieSaint said:

Quite enjoying the ‘lockdown’ to be honest.  Spending quality time at home with the family. The pace of life is significantly better and simpler. 

Other than the 13 month old not being able to go out, i would agree.

I work dynamically as it is, but will certainly look to continue when we're all 'back to normal'

Christ, i miss the pub though

• Like 1

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I think the 5000 is the total excess deaths, and 2000 is the ones attributed to corona.  

From the ONS there have been 9000 'extra/excess/above average' since march, but only 3000 have been put down too corona.  So there is a gap, that some might think is due to corona.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

Some are worse off but some are far better off. I even know people furloughed who are far better off as whilst on 80% pay they don't have the expenses associated with working.

That’s about where we’re at at the minute. Our outgoings are significantly reduced when we’re stuck at home.  

47 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Aren’t you someone’s stressed out wife? ?

I've nothing against homosexuality but, just as with gin, I've never felt any urge to try it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Up here, gin's only essential for stressed-out women. Did you get it for your wife?

No, us southerners are proper soffistikated and drink Gin and beer without bubbles on top

1 hour ago, Niels said:

I read an article by Piers Morgan saying that after the Covid is over people will have money to burn and we can have a ve style celebration. (It's not a Political comment, just about this comment)

I thought this was incorrect. The reality is that food prices have risen as the special offers are no more. Also we can't shop around anymore. Bills are higher because of home working.

Also I know a lot of friends, staff on 80% pay now.

I don't have money spare after food and bills anyway, so I definitely won't have money to burn.

I think we are all probably the same. 

I know your making a serious point but at the risk of me being flippant...

We're saving a small fortune on my missus hairdressing bills... it was a real shock when I noticed how much a cut and colour was when I once checked the bank statement...

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, redjonn said:

A bit worrying is the news reports that the German infection rate has crept up to near 1 again... it was reported as being around 0.7 earlier this month.

Bit concerning regarding relaxing restrictions...

I have to assume that there is an acceptance that the number would increase though as things relax? Is it about trying to keep it at 1 or below though?

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I have to assume that there is an acceptance that the number would increase though as things relax? Is it about trying to keep it at 1 or below though?

just reading the news report... it doesn't expand.  Just warnings about being careful with relaxations.

I guess as the regions have autonomy that central government are rising a warning not to relax too much too soon.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The plan will be to keep it as far below 1 as possible but with the acceptance that it is likely to rise as restrictions are eased. The trick is to do so in a carefully controlled and monitored way as the real danger is once it starts rising you can fairly quickly lose control (again).

• Like 1

That last graph regarding the Global Death Comparison in the Daily Update and the number of deaths in all settings was quite stark. Taken from BBC latest news:

Global death comparison

Global deaths
UK governmentCopyright: UK government

Finally, Prof McLean shows the comparison of the UK to other countries when it comes to deaths from Covid-19.

There are two lines for the UK - one is hospitals only, and the other is for deaths in all settings.

Edited by Damien
36 minutes ago, Damien said:

That last graph regarding the Global Death Comparison in the Daily Update and the number of deaths in all settings was quite stark. Taken from BBC latest news:

Global death comparison

Global deaths
UK governmentCopyright: UK government

Finally, Prof McLean shows the comparison of the UK to other countries when it comes to deaths from Covid-19.

There are two lines for the UK - one is hospitals only, and the other is for deaths in all settings.

The figures are utterly brutal in how many people have died.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On the R number, it wants keeping as low as possible but it has to stay below 1. Once it goes above 1 the virus starts to spread exponentially again and we all might just as well have stopped in the pub the last six weeks.

its reported 2 thirds of the british public want to keep lockdown in place - I think mainly this is because most people are glad to see other peoples lives become as stale and boring as their own in a strange psychological sort of sense of social comparison 

they come swinging round that corner, they think they're benny goodman

The submarine commander who allowed his lads to have a BBQ has been sacked

Naval sources told the BBC that Cdr Lewis had been advised both by his senior officers on shore and some of his own officers on the submarine not to go ahead with the party.

A senior defence source said it was one of a number of instances that had undermined trust and credibility in his command.

Cdr Lewis will remain in the Royal Navy but will be assigned another role.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52464885 

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The submarine commander who allowed his lads to have a BBQ has been sacked

Naval sources told the BBC that Cdr Lewis had been advised both by his senior officers on shore and some of his own officers on the submarine not to go ahead with the party.

A senior defence source said it was one of a number of instances that had undermined trust and credibility in his command.

Cdr Lewis will remain in the Royal Navy but will be assigned another role.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52464885 

Not impressed 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

heard the local massage parlour opens back up next week- as long as everyone wears surgical masks and rubber gloves - which is fine by me as I usually have to pay extra for that.

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

they come swinging round that corner, they think they're benny goodman

53 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

its reported 2 thirds of the british public want to keep lockdown in place - I think mainly this is because most people are glad to see other peoples lives become as stale and boring as their own in a strange psychological sort of sense of social comparison 

I would imagine it is because they see the death figures and are very reasonably scared.

I don't want the lockdown to stop.  I experienced incredible strain before the lockdown when I could sense how things were changing and yet I still had to protect my mum while going to work on an overcrowded train into an overcrowded office.  I don't want that strain back again; I don't want to be in a position where I let my guard down for a moment and accidentally bring the virus to my mum.  My brother has had it and my mum's lifelong friend has today died of it.  I don't want the lockdown to end until the death rate is negligible.  

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not impressed 

If he'd been advised in advance not to have the BBQ party, his punishment is more understandable. I still don't think much of the decision, but the fallout makes more sense.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)