land mines at peasholme park may deter the funseekers

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

A direct failing of the government there who will not remotely care how many poor or 'weak' people die.

High murder rate as well . Rate down a little in 2019 lowest numbers for 12 years . Only 41 thousand plus ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, henage said:

High murder rate as well . Rate down a little in 2019 lowest numbers for 12 years . Only 41 thousand plus ?

Probably ran out of bullets

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

45 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Come on lighten up, Corrie and 'enders are coming back......

I would be scared a crossing road in enders.Too high risk.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, silverback said:

I would be scared a crossing road in enders.Too high risk.

Yes, I thought that after posting - risk getting Corona or living in Albert Square? Tricky decision...….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

This morning, I watched a live-streamed funeral for the first time, although there were technical problems. The full recording will be made available for those who had problems connecting.

He was a very young man who'd been working for us for only a few months, before catching COVID-19 while in hospital.

That's sad.

I went to the funeral of my godmother this morning who died of Covid in a nursing home (she was a lifelong friend of my Mum, who didn't go, but the funeral director kindly stopped the hearse outside Mum's house so that Mum could say her final goodbye).  That too was live streamed.  St Helens Crematorium do the live streaming themselves.  Was that the case at the facility where your colleague was taken?

The funeral this morning almost didn't happen because the funeral directors had to close the whole operation down in St Helens due to every staff member testing positive for Covid last week.  That's 28 people in a single cluster.  Yikes.  It seems even hazmat suits don't fully protect a person.  

Edited by Saintslass

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Not seen it covered on the TV but seeing reports from police social media ... Camber and other local beaches are apparently 'overwhelmed'.

Joy.

The BBC showed two beaches on the news this evening, one of which was Brighton (can't remember the other one).  Both were busy but people were in little clusters separated from each other.  The problem came with the queues, for the toilets (I would go home before going to a public loo at the moment!) and for the ice cream stall.  Everyone forgot to social distance.  They must have been too preoccupied to remember.

On 18/05/2020 at 10:31, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

FC Seoul had some different spectators.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52702075

_112331948_seoul.jpg

Update: 

A South Korean football club has been fined 100m won (£66,500, $81,500) for filling empty seats with "sex dolls" at a recent home match.

FC Seoul put 30 "premium mannequins" in the stands, with fans unable to attend because of coronavirus restrictions.

The club said they did not know the dolls were adult products and apologised on Monday.

"The incident has greatly insulted and hurt female and family fans," a K League statement said.

Just returned from Sandilands beach, 8 pm  Crowds flooding back: there were maybe 10 people squeezed into about 2 mile of beach.  Maybe another 10-15  walking dogs on promenade.  

• Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

The comparison graph I didn't post yesterday was the number of cases reported daily.

This is even more damning and would seem to imply that the death toll in Brazil is likely to explode in the next week to 10 days. It could well double in that timescale and overtake that of the UK.

image.png.a7c9e0f9a6c4c1002cc58e578030e7e3.png

If anyone was still ambivalent as to whether 'lockdown' saves lives or not, this should be the clincher. Where would we have been now without those actions? This is not over. Stay Safe. Stay at home. Save lives.

P.S. Does anyone know why the reported cases in the UK went down by 525 from 248,818 to 248,293 yesterday?

It's been going up by 3000 a day recently.

Has any explanation been given?

Had a run out to one of our local lakes yesterday , National Trust Car Parks rammed , lots of dog walkers/ramblers , families having picnics , people swimming in the lake , everybody social distancing ,no problems whatsoever .

• Like 2

• Haha 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

10 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Had a run out to one of our local lakes yesterday , National Trust Car Parks rammed , lots of dog walkers/ramblers , families having picnics , people swimming in the lake , everybody social distancing ,no problems whatsoever .

I get the feeling - based on no science whatsoever - that the problems were limited to a couple of beaches rather than a load of places.  Hopefully there will be no negative impact.

On 20/05/2020 at 20:23, JohnM said:

Just returned from Sandilands beach, 8 pm  Crowds flooding back: there were maybe 10 people squeezed into about 2 mile of beach.  Maybe another 10-15  walking dogs on promenade.  

When I worked in Skipton in the '70s and '80s, Sandilands was the local sports centre.  If it is now on the beach, then global warming and coastal erosion in Yorkshire is a tad worse than I thought!

• Haha 1

I watched the film Contagion last night. I've seen it before but watching it last night was quite eerie with what is currently going on. It is also a bit freaky on how accurate much of it is and how similar it is to today's pandemic.

More research that could reveal a chink in covid's defences https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52754280

It has been found those with the most severe form of the disease have extremely low numbers of an immune cell called a T-cell.

T-cells clear infection from the body.

The clinical trial will evaluate if a drug called interleukin 7, known to boost T-cell numbers, can aid patients' recovery.

For all you people eager to learn more about contact tracing and Covid-19. Coursea are offing a free course by John Hopkins University. I know a lot of people are interested and have time to kill so someone may be interested:

About this Course

The COVID-19 crisis has created an unprecedented need for contact tracing across the country, requiring thousands of people to learn key skills quickly. The job qualifications for contact tracing positions differ throughout the country and the world, with some new positions open to individuals with a high school diploma or equivalent.

In this introductory course, students will learn about the science of SARS-CoV-2 , including the infectious period, the clinical presentation of COVID-19, and the evidence for how SARS-CoV-2 is transmitted from person-to-person and why contact tracing can be such an effective public health intervention. Students will learn about how contact tracing is done, including how to build rapport with cases, identify their contacts, and support both cases and their contacts to stop transmission in their communities. The course will also cover several important ethical considerations around contact tracing, isolation, and quarantine. Finally, the course will identify some of the most common barriers to contact tracing efforts -- along with strategies to overcome them.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/covid-19-contact-tracing?edocomorp=covid-19-contact-tracing#enroll

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It's fine. A few days ago the Chinese media were reporting that the situation in Jilin was under control. And, if this pandemic has taught us anything at all, it's that we can trust everything the Chinese government says.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, ckn said:

In support, Saudi Arabia is opening up its skiing areas.

• Haha 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

Seems my optimism was misplaced.

My sister's fella is back in ICU.... trachy back open and ventilator back on.

For the first time the consultant has suggested he might not make it and has warned that if he does, he will be nowhere near his former self. His lungs have been ravaged by the virus. 

Anxiety is now back in place.....

• Sad 10

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

For the first time the consultant has suggested he might not make it and has warned that if he does, he will be nowhere near his former self. His lungs have been ravaged by the virus. 

That's absolutely awful news. Hoping that things don't turn out anywhere near as bad as it sounds.

20 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Oh god mate, so sorry to hear this.

• Like 2