coronavirus

I guess some movement on the moanometer from we ain't doing enough... to... we are over reacting and being too restrictive.... watching some of the news items...

I need to get back to not watching the 24hour news... but it is sort of compulsive

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, new advice is:

1 - No pubs, restaurants, clubs etc. 

2 - No non-essential travel - what does that mean? Nipping for a walk, or air travel?

3 - No non-essential contact - again, pretty vague.

4 - Work from home where possible

5 - 14 day quarantine for anyone with symptoms

6 - Anyone living with somebody with symptoms to be confined for the 14 days too

Anything else?

48 minutes ago, shrek said:

Having wondered into Tesco earlier, I left with pretty much everything I intended to - 1 bottle of whisky, two packs of dish clothes, a 4 pack of soap, three tins of chill, two backs of tortillas and some grated cheese.  (yes its a very lazy tea!!!).  But we tend to buy for no more than a couple of days at a time and haven't changed that habit yet.

But couldn't help but observe, there was no loo roll, no tissues, no nappies, no kitchen roll and forget it down the tinned food aisle unless you wanted chilli or tinned curry.  What surprised me most though was my usual pondering of what whisky we'll tackle next was limited to either Balvennie, Talisker or blummin Bells, who the chuff is stock piling scottish whisky?

When I was in Tesco on Friday, they had Laphroaig 10y/o at £27 a bottle, I got two as that's a very good price. I already had a couple in the house of other types. I have more bottles of unopened whisky in my house now than I probably have had for years.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

When I was in Tesco on Friday, they had Laphroaig 10y/o at £27 a bottle, I got two as that's a very good price. I already had a couple in the house of other types. I have more bottles of unopened whisky in my house now than I probably have had for years.

I quit the drink this year (well technically last year) I think I picked the wrong year, I could murder a large Brandy right now

10 minutes ago, ckn said:

Nobody likes a showoff!

Just now, shrek said:

Nobody likes a showoff!

Natural antiviral in high enough quantities. Although by then you'll be dead and the virus won't want you...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

15 minutes ago, ckn said:

Very nice whisky that. I'm an Irish man myself, I've got a bottle of 12yr old Bushmills in the cabinet which I'm trying not to open. You can only get it from the distillery itself so I'm trying to save it for as long as possible. Bloody lovely whiskey that one!

10 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Very nice whisky that. I'm an Irish man myself, I've got a bottle of 12yr old Bushmills in the cabinet which I'm trying not to open. You can only get it from the distillery itself so I'm trying to save it for as long as possible. Bloody lovely whiskey that one!

You're hallucinating again , you're a goose ?

if we all look out and look after each other with consideration and simple human kindness and selflessness  ,whether its towards family, friends or total strangers , this will be over quicker than a sneeze -however if we turn in to rabid vermin its gonna be a long process 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I do think in the main though that is what is happening. Clearly there are some barmpots out there, but I genuinely believe it is the fringe cases. It is no coincidence that the examples of the news are always at places like Costco where people buy in bulk as standard. Doubling up on those huge loo rolls suddenly fills a trolley and then a front page!

My experience is that people are buying some extras of many things to fill their cupboards - but everyone doing this is having a huge impact. 

The main evidence we have of uproar is a few photos of people taking huge amounts of toilet paper, but it is not impossible to get and it does not take much to empty the shelves.

The other evidence is some videos of women fighting. I suggest that if it really was a case of chaos, we would at least have gone to the point of sending the men to do the fighting, it is far from zombie apocalypse.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You're hallucinating again , you're a goose ?

We cannot be sure people are who they say they are on the internet. It might be a gander, or even a medium sized swan.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

48 minutes ago, ckn said:

My local Spar was emptied of spirits over the weekend. Not sure if folk are planning to drink themselves into oblivion or have started to wash in the stuff!

12 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The other evidence is some videos of women fighting. I suggest that if it really was a case of chaos, we would at least have gone to the point of sending the men to do the fighting, it is far from zombie apocalypse.

In the days before the internet, Grattan was Britain's biggest mail order catalogue firm and sold off returned goods in a shop next to the warehouse HQ. My partner of the time worked in the shop and there were always squabbles amongst women as to who saw what first. There was physical contact but I don't think it went beyond shouting and shoving. Apparently it was always entertaining. 

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

My local Spar was emptied of spirits over the weekend. Not sure if folk are planning to drink themselves into oblivion or have started to wash in the stuff!

Doctors are saying that the handwash solutions are only effective if they have at least 50% alcohol.

Well 60% ethanol has a flash point of 21degrees Centigrade which is room temperature. Is the government  (purposefully?) not mentioning the fire risk.

A professor at the University where my teaches has just sent an email out to his team suggesting they all log on to work at 6:00pm on Wednesday and have a glass of their favourite tipple at hand and set up a virtual pub.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Doctors are saying that the handwash solutions are only effective if they have at least 50% alcohol.

Well 60% ethanol has a flash point of 21degrees Centigrade which is room temperature. Is the government  (purposefully?) not mentioning the fire risk.

The main concern I have, and I wrote this a few weeks ago, is that many people think hand sanitiser is effective. It is almost certainly not. Alcohol works as the evaporation dries the area out. This is less effective against viruses anyway, and also even more ineffective on a hand.

Where there is a tap available, a hand sanitiser is a bad thing. The exception might be with nurses where time matters and effective hand sanitiser is available.

Where it is a good thing is where a sink is not available.

Read this, show it to your boss and note who it’s coming from (just click on his name in the tweet)

14 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I’m off to Liverpool for St Pats day. They’ll need the gestapo to keep us out of the pub. 

I'm going on a short shift. Scarlet Heights reunion gig in the Ginger Goose is a must but the beer's electropap anyway so I'll have alcohol-free bottles, then a couple of proper pints in the Lord Clyde.

Semi Final of a Quiz competition in the evening so will have have to be soberish anyway.

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

2 things: 1, In times like these It might be better to drink it while you still can!

2, Shouldn't you be drinking Grey Goose?

Archived