Jump to content

Recommended Posts


  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

its like - Susana  reid  on good  morning Britain via video link cos shes in self isolation even though theres nowt feckin wrong with her, not helping at all

She is doing what she should be doing and following guidance. Reducing the risk of others catching coronavirus and suppressing the spread is of course helping, its ridiculous to say otherwise. If someone in her household has it and she carries on as normal, develops coronavirus and in the process infects hundreds that would be careless in the extreme.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Damien said:

She is doing what she should be doing and following guidance. Reducing the risk of others catching coronavirus and suppressing the spread is of course helping, its ridiculous to say otherwise. If someone in her household has it and she carries on as normal, develops coronavirus and in the process infects hundreds that would be careless in the extreme.

im more likely to catch nits from kojak 

  • Like 1

they come swinging round that corner, they think they're benny goodman

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes putting people on ignore is the best option.

For everyone’s mental health.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Forget the Blitz, the UK war machine can't shout. In WW2, we bombed Dresden out of spite, not for tactical reasons. We went ito Afghanistan to help fight US election campaigns. The Welsh Guards got condemned to burn on a ship in the Falklands. The officers who made that decision got knighthoods.

What we've got now is the phoney war.

It's 12.45 on the first day of lockdown and I'm bored stupid. How teenagers are coping, I can guess. On Monday, when their parents are out working, there'll be mass meetings of them in the parks. My daughter's dogs will never have had so many walks.

Things might change if the death rate accelerates but, at the moment there are relatively few terminal cases. If no great impact, I reckon that, within a fortnight, there'll be an upsurge in adults going to each others' houses for a meal and a few drinks

I don't need any sermons from the right-on handwringers. Seriously, if I catch Coronavirus and can't survive it, so be it. Like most people, I'll be staying in till the timescale means I haven't contracted it and cannot spread it to anyone.

After that, well I'm  65 and had a good knock. If I'm not up to resisting it ... well, that's basic Darwinism. I'd rather go now than  end up with dementia and having carers attending 5 times a day like my mother did.

 

Can’t agree with that in the slightest. Just because you have the willpower of a toddler at a bar of chocolate left lying around means you’re happy to keep the virus going and kill people?

The virus will only keep spreading if people keep spreading it. If we knuckled down and did as we’re damn well told then within a couple of weeks the numbers would be slowing down to very manageable. If you keep going out then YOU are the spreader responsible for the deaths of others. 

Around 50% of cases are infectious without symptom meaning these people are spreading it without knowing. Just because you’ll wait until you get symptoms isn’t good enough. 

I never thought I’d have to do this since I left the army but I’m sending clinicians and admin folk into situations that could cost their lives and you won’t suck it up for a little while. 

Can you at least put a sticker on your coat that says “I opt out of coronavirus treatment if I catch it”. 

  • Like 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to post
Share on other sites

anyway as me and the missus are self isolating.. well staying at home in normal language and resisting visitors, well self distancing in todays language...

I just want to note ... now whilst I may not agree with all comments, and strongly disagree with some I find my occasion visit to this web site and this forum a useful distraction and adds to my social interactions...

So I hope we don't start self isolating forums like this... even if you wish you could reach out with a nasty used yard brush..

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

This is what gets me with the self righteousness on here. I have to work as I work in a supermarket where there will 300 numb nuts stockpiling on Monday. Am guilty of allegedly spreading the virus? 

Who is having a go at you for that?

  • Like 4

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ckn said:

Can’t agree with that in the slightest. Just because you have the willpower of a toddler at a bar of chocolate left lying around means you’re happy to keep the virus going and kill people?

The virus will only keep spreading if people keep spreading it. If we knuckled down and did as we’re damn well told then within a couple of weeks the numbers would be slowing down to very manageable. If you keep going out then YOU are the spreader responsible for the deaths of others. 

Around 50% of cases are infectious without symptom meaning these people are spreading it without knowing. Just because you’ll wait until you get symptoms isn’t good enough. 

I never thought I’d have to do this since I left the army but I’m sending clinicians and admin folk into situations that could cost their lives and you won’t suck it up for a little while. 

Can you at least put a sticker on your coat that says “I opt out of coronavirus treatment if I catch it”. 

You remember when you were in the Army..all the needles...they lined us up...made us take off our shirts and walk the line 6 needles in each arm....and made to do pushups after (just to work it all in they said)......some people just faint, it has nothingn to do with being tough, its just a n ingrained reaction in a certain per centage of the population.

Question:  Are Armed Forces members getting it at a lower rate?....could one of the malarial/red fever (et al.) innoculations cause a decreasein the infection rate?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

This is what gets me with the self righteousness on here. I have to work as I work in a supermarket where there will 300 numb nuts stockpiling on Monday. Am guilty of allegedly spreading the virus? 

No one has said that.

I suggest you look at the guidance and official advice and understand the difference between essential and non-essential contact. It may help you understand a little better as you seem to be struggling with the difference and are trying to lump everything into the same category.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

This is what gets me with the self righteousness on here. I have to work as I work in a supermarket where there will 300 numb nuts stockpiling on Monday. Am guilty of allegedly spreading the virus? 

You are going out to go to work, can you not see the big difference?

 

who has had a go at you for going to work?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ckn said:

Can’t agree with that in the slightest. Just because you have the willpower of a toddler at a bar of chocolate left lying around means you’re happy to keep the virus going and kill people?

The virus will only keep spreading if people keep spreading it. If we knuckled down and did as we’re damn well told then within a couple of weeks the numbers would be slowing down to very manageable. If you keep going out then YOU are the spreader responsible for the deaths of others. 

Around 50% of cases are infectious without symptom meaning these people are spreading it without knowing. Just because you’ll wait until you get symptoms isn’t good enough. 

I never thought I’d have to do this since I left the army but I’m sending clinicians and admin folk into situations that could cost their lives and you won’t suck it up for a little while. 

Can you at least put a sticker on your coat that says “I opt out of coronavirus treatment if I catch it”. 

There are a lot of people who risk spreading it, but with little choice. There are some mentally disabled, others whose circumstances are such that they have to work and others in essential services (including rubbish, telecommunications and grocery workers).

It means, for it to work, the rest have to be stricter to balance them out.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Who is having a go at you for that?

Nobody. Literally nobody.

I'm worried for people who have to go out to work. I was pleased when I made my socially distanced supermarket visit this morning (literally everyone observing the 1m rule as best as possible) that there seemed to be a huge amount of cleaning being done on surfaces and at tills. I hope everyone there got there without needing to be squashed in any kind of public transport. Nobody was hanging round to chat but I did make sure I thanked every staff member I passed and I heard quite a few other people doing the same.

Some people just want to be victims though.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

There are a lot of people who risk spreading it, but with little choice. There are some mentally disabled, others whose circumstances are such that they have to work and others in essential services (including rubbish, telecommunications and grocery workers).

It means, for it to work, the rest have to be stricter to balance them out.

yep, but it doesn't mean to say that they are fully comfortable that they themselves may spread virus even though they understand the value of their work. My daughter fully understands but her staff in their emotional discussions feel it, even if nobody has directly said anything to them.  They look at some of the reporting and read the worst of social media and start doubting themselves and if they may be causing or increasing death rates... My point is emotions don't always follow logic.

 

Edited by redjonn
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolford, good job you are not here in Spain if you are bored after one day.Only 1 person allowed to leave the house for supermaket,chemist,petrol station or bank. No going for walks,everything except the above closed even shops.Just Wednesday I was stopped by the Guardia,asked where I was going,when I told them Supermarket I had to show them the wifes shopping bill.Another 10 days officially yet of this but it will be then enforced for the next two months at least. Just today another 300 deaths in Spain. Yesterday 31 people detained and fined for walking the streets and working from home, i.e, hairdressing,chiropody etc. No social mixing at all, no visitors or visiting. The fines have just been upgraded to 600 euro for your 1st fine up to the maximum of 600000euro for persistent offenders.And you think you have it tough.Be warned it is coming to you in the U.K. in the next week or so.

P.S. Just had a phone call from my niece in Oxenhope,her son in law went to Switzerland on a stag night a week or so ago,he has just tested positive for the virus. He is 36 years old.So do not be fooled that young ones can not get it.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Forget the Blitz, the UK war machine can't shout. In WW2, we bombed Dresden out of spite, not for tactical reasons. We went ito Afghanistan to help fight US election campaigns. The Welsh Guards got condemned to burn on a ship in the Falklands. The officers who made that decision got knighthoods.

What we've got now is the phoney war.

It's 12.45 on the first day of lockdown and I'm bored stupid. How teenagers are coping, I can guess. On Monday, when their parents are out working, there'll be mass meetings of them in the parks. My daughter's dogs will never have had so many walks.

Things might change if the death rate accelerates but, at the moment there are relatively few terminal cases. If no great impact, I reckon that, within a fortnight, there'll be an upsurge in adults going to each others' houses for a meal and a few drinks

I don't need any sermons from the right-on handwringers. Seriously, if I catch Coronavirus and can't survive it, so be it. Like most people, I'll be staying in till the timescale means I haven't contracted it and cannot spread it to anyone.

After that, well I'm  65 and had a good knock. If I'm not up to resisting it ... well, that's basic Darwinism. I'd rather go now than  end up with dementia and having carers attending 5 times a day like my mother did.

 

You’re missing the point mate. I’m pretty strong and fit physically and if I got the virus, chances are I’d stick one on it and it would be gone. 

But it’s not just about the effects on you, I could be passing it on to someone blissfully unaware. Who in turn could pass it on to a susceptible relative or friend. Yadda yadda yadda. Is going for a pint *that* important? As a confirmed p-head, I say it’s not.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

You’re missing the point mate. I’m pretty strong and fit physically and if I got the virus, chances are I’d stick one on it and it would be gone. 

But it’s not just about the effects on you, I could be passing it on to someone blissfully unaware. Who in turn could pass it on to a susceptible relative or friend. Yadda yadda yadda. Is going for a pint *that* important? As a confirmed p-head, I say it’s not.

Indeed.

I had a drink with friends over Skype yesterday. Tonight, my wife and I will be having dinner with another couple over Skype. It is a little comical, but hardly a sacrifice. There are plenty who have no choice of lack the capacity to understand. We are in a great position compared to them.

  • Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You’re missing the point mate. I’m pretty strong and fit physically and if I got the virus, chances are I’d stick one on it and it would be gone.

I think even needs expanding. The chances are you'd survive. There's a 1 in 150 chance you wouldn't (roughly, give or take). That survival might be straightforward or you might be one of the many people who survives only after a period of hospitalisation or after taking an absolute pounding (and not in a good way) at home.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

Indeed.

I had a drink with friends over Skype yesterday. Tonight, my wife and I will be having dinner with another couple over Skype. It is a little comical, but hardly a sacrifice. There are plenty who have no choice of lack the capacity to understand. We are in a great position compared to them.

Yup. Having my first pint with friends online this evening.

Lunch with mum tomorrow for mother's day.

(There are some on the wrong side of the digital divide for whom this isn't possible but given that one of my friends spent part of yesterday in his mum's garden shouting instructions for how to install the right software onto her computer, most can do something that way.)

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...