Jump to content

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Many are still open.

Perhaps I was unfair on him. Perhaps he has worked on an implementation strategy and can show you how he is assessing the well thought out risks on both sides. Otherwise, he is a knob.

  • Like 2

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Many are still open.

As far as I can tell, pretty much every school is going to open in some capacity. Each with a slightly different interpretation of what they are doing and why.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Damien said:

And what about the people that have to look after the children? What about their family and their children that may have health conditions? What about the families of other children? It is far from as simplistic as you are making out and schools are really struggling with this. 

I'm not advocating anything, just showing the other side of the coin.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

As far as I can tell, pretty much every school is going to open in some capacity. Each with a slightly different interpretation of what they are doing and why.

Not sure what situation is in England. In our borough only 5 schools including mine will be open for key workers children, spread out across the borough. Some boroughs all the schools are closed totally, Swansea has loads open for kw children. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Not sure what situation is in England. In our borough only 5 schools including mine will be open for key workers children, spread out across the borough. Some boroughs all the schools are closed totally, Swansea has loads open for kw children. 

Yes, I’m really not sure. I’ll rephrase to say that I know about half a dozen schools will be open in some way and that is 100% of the schools I know anything about.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, Ive still been going into my office there’s only me working in there as ive made everybody work from home so there's only me there and we don’t get visitors really but I think ill go today and just bring everything i need home and try stay in as much as physically possible from now on, I feel an enforced lock down will be sooner rather than later

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You should be able to get the gist of this, though most is behind the paywall

Coronavirus advice being ignored by almost a quarter of 25 to 34 year-olds, poll finds 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/21/coronavirus-advice-ignored-almost-quarter-25-34-year-olds-poll/

It is absolutely ridiculous. Not helped by the persistent belief that it’s a condition you only need worry about if you’re old or already ill.

It’s why enforcement is needed.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You should be able to get the gist of this, though most is behind the paywall

Coronavirus advice being ignored by almost a quarter of 25 to 34 year-olds, poll finds 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/21/coronavirus-advice-ignored-almost-quarter-25-34-year-olds-poll/

https://chaser.com.au/national/local-man-apparently-happy-to-kill-grandparents-if-it-means-not-having-to-cancel-brunch/
 

7BBA0E5E-C857-4E48-9D4C-F04FCE3A787B.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

As far as I can tell, pretty much every school is going to open in some capacity. Each with a slightly different interpretation of what they are doing and why.

Correct. We have all been asked to keep schools open indefinitely, including holidays. We have taken that to mean 'do it' (and shall) rather than 'pussyfoot around until the numbers of dead are that high we need to enforce it'. 

I was wished a 'happy extended holiday' by one set of parents on Friday. Such naivety shows just how little some people think this problem is. Presumably, if they cant see that by me being in school everyday, working with children who seemingly barely manifest a symptom, is in any way dangerous to my own well-being and that of my family, then they won't even consider themselves a risk to others in their own community.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my grandaughters is a teacher. In the village where she works there are 4 schools.In total there are approx. 40 children eligible for school.Or,as she says on the list,but not really eligible. She has been confronted by some parents about children on the list who should not be. She has had to tell these complaining parents that it is nothing to do with the teachers it is the Education authority in the area. Next week she has to go into work to organise rosters etc. The week after she thinks that all the children will go to one school with each teacher having to work two days a week. The problem around the lists seems to be that although one parent is a necessary worker,e.g nurse,etc,the other parent is still going to be at home.Being a smallish village where everybody seems to know everbody else,s business this is causing problems for the genuine ones.Just after the closures were announced a parent who was refused going on the list rang my grandaughter to complain about her child not being on the list as he needed to be kept entertained or he became naughty. When she gave her some different ways of entertaining the child as she was at home,her reply was,that is why he goes to school so that he gets entertained there.I would imagine this is happening all over the country so surely very stringent messages should be sent around to all parents to either stop fabricating reasons why your children should be at school or stronger measures will be enforced and the schools will shut completely thus denying the N.H.S. thousands of valuable workers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fairfolly said:

One of my grandaughters is a teacher. In the village where she works there are 4 schools.In total there are approx. 40 children eligible for school.Or,as she says on the list,but not really eligible. She has been confronted by some parents about children on the list who should not be. She has had to tell these complaining parents that it is nothing to do with the teachers it is the Education authority in the area. Next week she has to go into work to organise rosters etc. The week after she thinks that all the children will go to one school with each teacher having to work two days a week. The problem around the lists seems to be that although one parent is a necessary worker,e.g nurse,etc,the other parent is still going to be at home.Being a smallish village where everybody seems to know everbody else,s business this is causing problems for the genuine ones.Just after the closures were announced a parent who was refused going on the list rang my grandaughter to complain about her child not being on the list as he needed to be kept entertained or he became naughty. When she gave her some different ways of entertaining the child as she was at home,her reply was,that is why he goes to school so that he gets entertained there.I would imagine this is happening all over the country so surely very stringent messages should be sent around to all parents to either stop fabricating reasons why your children should be at school or stronger measures will be enforced and the schools will shut completely thus denying the N.H.S. thousands of valuable workers.

Little Ginger (my older, he's 14 and attends a special school)'s school has gone from being very wishy washy to being very firm. Tell us if you think you're a key worker and we'll decide (my other son's school did something similar, seemingly without issue). One parent, my wife has shown me, has gone absolutely mental in a WhatsApp group about being told that she's not a key worker (she's really not). The difference being that it's a council taxi who takes the child to school (another infection point right there TBH) and so now it's been decided that said child does not need to attend there will be no taxi for them.

(In case you think this is cruel: said child is a very mild example of the type at this special school and, genuinely, will not be affected beyond the level other children who are now missing school will be affected.)

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gazza77 said:

How are people on here finding it personally? 

Other than very surreal times, I'm actually in a mixed, but generally good point. Being a NHS employee, I'm in a secure role, with good pay, but may end up doing tasks way outside my remit. I'm good with that, and will help where I can. Downside is I've lost over £1k in Airbnb bookings in the last 3 days, and expect more to come. 

My biggest concern is risk to family. My Dad hits about 3 or 4 out the 10 or so high risk groups. My in-laws hit a couple. I know full well that individuals will start to see loved ones pass away, and I'm scared I may be one of them. 

Being a misery guts I'm finding it great ?

Being serious, my stepson (he has atypical autism) is finding it quite difficult and although he's pretty independent he has a tendency to catastrophise. He likes getting out and about at weekends and a full lockdown might present us with a challenge to keep him sane. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

One of my grandaughters is a teacher. In the village where she works there are 4 schools.In total there are approx. 40 children eligible for school.Or,as she says on the list,but not really eligible. She has been confronted by some parents about children on the list who should not be. She has had to tell these complaining parents that it is nothing to do with the teachers it is the Education authority in the area. Next week she has to go into work to organise rosters etc. The week after she thinks that all the children will go to one school with each teacher having to work two days a week. The problem around the lists seems to be that although one parent is a necessary worker,e.g nurse,etc,the other parent is still going to be at home.Being a smallish village where everybody seems to know everbody else,s business this is causing problems for the genuine ones.Just after the closures were announced a parent who was refused going on the list rang my grandaughter to complain about her child not being on the list as he needed to be kept entertained or he became naughty. When she gave her some different ways of entertaining the child as she was at home,her reply was,that is why he goes to school so that he gets entertained there.I would imagine this is happening all over the country so surely very stringent messages should be sent around to all parents to either stop fabricating reasons why your children should be at school or stronger measures will be enforced and the schools will shut completely thus denying the N.H.S. thousands of valuable workers.

Education staff are amongst a long list of brilliant people who will keep this country going. I hope they will be rewarded with a heightened sense of gratitude and respect when all this is done. I only hope that they are all still around to receive those plaudits. People who have been spared the front-line need to get a grip and get indoors. Now. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

One of my grandaughters is a teacher. In the village where she works there are 4 schools.In total there are approx. 40 children eligible for school.Or,as she says on the list,but not really eligible. She has been confronted by some parents about children on the list who should not be. She has had to tell these complaining parents that it is nothing to do with the teachers it is the Education authority in the area. Next week she has to go into work to organise rosters etc. The week after she thinks that all the children will go to one school with each teacher having to work two days a week. The problem around the lists seems to be that although one parent is a necessary worker,e.g nurse,etc,the other parent is still going to be at home.Being a smallish village where everybody seems to know everbody else,s business this is causing problems for the genuine ones.Just after the closures were announced a parent who was refused going on the list rang my grandaughter to complain about her child not being on the list as he needed to be kept entertained or he became naughty. When she gave her some different ways of entertaining the child as she was at home,her reply was,that is why he goes to school so that he gets entertained there.I would imagine this is happening all over the country so surely very stringent messages should be sent around to all parents to either stop fabricating reasons why your children should be at school or stronger measures will be enforced and the schools will shut completely thus denying the N.H.S. thousands of valuable workers.

Our public schools in Canberra close on Tuesday. They’ve currently said nothing about looking after the kids of health care workers. My wife’s ward with now lose 30% of its staff on Tuesday. I hope they sort something out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Copa said:

Our public schools in Canberra close on Tuesday. They’ve currently said nothing about looking after the kids of health care workers. My wife’s ward with now lose 30% of its staff on Tuesday. I hope they sort something out.

It's absolutely essential to provide the childcare for the health care workers. With that in mind, it is essential over here in the UK that we quickly find a way for testing health care and school staff with the anti-body test asap. If, as most reports back up currently, this implies a degree of immunity to those staff, the possibilities then become endless given that fewer staff will be at home self-isolating with suspected Covid19.

Edited by Northern Eel
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from tesco. It was nhs only from 9-10.00. Badges were subject to close scrutiny.

I duly arrived at 8.35 thinking "I'll listen to some tunes til 8.55".... then I saw the queue. At least 50 people. I took my place in the queue and within 15 mins there was a 300m queue with hoarded of nhs workers clambering for bog roll.

I saw no-one, and I really mean no-one pay any gorm to social distancing. 

Everyone in there knows the craic. NHS staff are the ones quick to post memes on Facebook and standing in judgement on those not adopting to their vision of how to behave during to c-19 crisis. And it was nhs staff behaving astonishingly crass this morning. I could seriously test the sweat filter today

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Let me think, the major supermarket chains are absolutely loving this. 

In a financial way, they are likely to be doing very well, but people only have so much money to spend (or so we are constantly told) so they may find a significant lull in the near future. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...