RLWC on TV

The Paralympics have been added to the list of protected sports on free to air tv.

Several other sports have their international tournaments and World Cup protected, but we do not. Have we made any attempt to get the RLWC added to this list? I’d also like an annual Four Nations tournament to return and this too to be on the free to air list.

The revised list of free-to-air listed events is as follows:

Group A (full live coverage protected)

• The Olympic Games
  • The Paralympic Games
  • The Fifa World Cup finals
  • The European Football Championship finals
  • The FA Cup final
  • The Scottish FA Cup final (in Scotland)
  • The Grand National
  • The Wimbledon Tennis finals
  • The Rugby World Cup final
  • The Derby
  • The Rugby League Challenge Cup final

Group B (secondary coverage protected)

• Cricket Test matches played in England
  • Non-finals play at Wimbledon
  • All other matches at the Rugby World Cup
  • Six Nations Rugby matches involving England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland
  • The Commonwealth Games
  • The World Athletics Championship
  • The Cricket World Cup - the final, semi-finals and matches involving England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
  • The Ryder Cup
  • The Open Golf Championship

19 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

How do you get onto this list? Who decides if a sport is worthy? Was the 4 Nations RL 4 Nations on the BBC?

I've always said that for RL to grow it needs to be on FTA TV

We've been on FTA for awhile now ..

1 hour ago, NOS4A2 said:

LOL...I meant regular season SL games. 

That would depend on Super League selling the rights to free to air tv. This would give us fantastic exposure, but it would significantly reduce our tv income.

Regular internationals are far easier to get on free to air tv. All we need is England to play in an annual tournament.

2 hours ago, NOS4A2 said:

How do you get onto this list? Who decides if a sport is worthy? Was the 4 Nations RL 4 Nations on the BBC?

I've always said that for RL to grow it needs to be on FTA TV

Sports tend to lobby to be taken off the list 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Indeed. I don't see why it would be in the sports interest to be on the list. If the sport wants to be on FTA it can choose that path but being on the list just limits options and rivals. It would do nothing but drive down the price of rights.

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed. I don't see why it would be in the sports interest to be on the list. If the sport wants to be on FTA it can choose that path but being on the list just limits options and rivals. It would do nothing but drive down the price of rights.

Beat me to it. These lists are in the interests of terrestrial broadcasters and fans, not the sports. 

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

Beat me to it. These lists are in the interests of terrestrial broadcasters and fans, not the sports. 

Sport has reached a sorry state when the interests of the fans and the sport are in conflict with each other.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Sport has reached a sorry state when the interests of the fans and the sport are in conflict with each other.

I think this is just one of those funny quirks. Some things that are well intended don't always work out. If Sky offered £50m for exclusive Challenge Cup Final coverage the game wouldn't be able to say yes when in reality a small number of fans would miss out. 

It's a bit like Sky not being able to own all the Premier League rights has simply increased the cost for fans. 

A  lot of the sports on the two lists have a long history of being on the same FTA channel for decades before subscriptions viewing existed.

The RWC hasn't even got a history of being played at regular intervals or in the same format, let alone being shown on FTA each time (either in full or in part). I doubt it's even a remote contender for inclusion.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

56 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A  lot of the sports on the two lists have a long history of being on the same FTA channel for decades before subscriptions viewing existed.

The RWC hasn't even got a history of being played at regular intervals or in the same format, let alone being shown on FTA each time (either in full or in part). I doubt it's even a remote contender for inclusion.

The 1st ever RWC was in 1987 and that tournament features on both lists, I can see no reason why the RLWC couldn’t make the list, it’d be a good thing IMO

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The 1st ever RWC was in 1987 and that tournament features on both lists, I can see no reason why the RLWC couldn’t make the list, it’d be a good thing IMO

The first ever RWC was in 1954 and features on neither list. The first ever RUWC was in 1987.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived