Match Thread: Challenge Cup Round 2

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I don't know what others think but these challenge cup games are a lot more exciting that a lot of Super League games are. 

Not for mine. To be honest that game was essentially a war between the middle forwards with precious little attacking structure.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can enjoy both, without denigrating either.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

30-10 West Hull FT.

No flattery in the scoreline. West Hull pack very dominant, St Pats very poor.

West Hull  derived the win: slicker, better organised. At times WSP looked al at sea. Different divisions?  

My son's favourite games to ref were in the NCL.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

West Hull  derived the win: slicker, better organised. At times WSP looked al at sea. Different divisions?  

Yes they are in different divisions now. Wigan St Pats at open age level suffer really from being a victim of their own success at youth levels and all the players they lose due to getting signed for pro clubs.

14 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Are all these guys playing free agents? Do the pro teams scout them and sign anybody that looks promising?

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: yes, but there's often quite a bit more to it than that and you may need someone with more knowledge of the community game to explain what's actually going on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Are all these guys playing free agents? Do the pro teams scout them and sign anybody that looks promising?

Check the thread  'NCL players to the pro game 2020 ' on the NCL forum.

Every player in the NCL is a non contract player and free agent. The NCL does not allow dual reg. All players are amateur and it is a fertile breading ground especially for Champ  and League 1 sides ,occasionally even up into  SL  , Alex Walmsley being just one example.

The player movement works both ways. I think the West Hull halfbacks today are both ex pro's on amateur registration and therefor  signable into the higher leagues.

Buffering... buffering... buffering... and off I go to the Barrow/Worky match stream.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived