Rugbyleague team manager 3

Always loved a management simulator game.

i think I have Rugby League Manager on my laptop somewhere but barely get a chance to play it.

these games seem so in depth these days it takes a day to complete only a handful of matches. They've come some way from Rugby Coach on the Commodore 64!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I have rugby league team manager 2 which is entertaining enough but there were a couple of things that really let it down. The gameplay was a bit samey and got a bit monotonous. The amount of unlicensed teams let it down, there were loads of American and French teams that I'm sure were made up and they were in the challenge cup and could get promoted into the English league system. All that was just irritating. The most annoying thing though was as every game week passed it updated every single teams training rotas and squad selections and there is about 200 teams in the game. It took about 10 minutes so every 10 mins or so you then had to just sit for another 10 mins while the game finished catching up essentially. I put in a good few hours on it but think I only ever completed 1 season cos it just took so long to do anything. If the loading screen thing has been sorted in the new one then I would probably get it. 

Just had a look. Immediately the match animations and menus look a massive amount better than the last game, looks a lot sleeker on the pics and videos provided. Did notice that its still only early-access though so the game isn't finished which means it will be a bit glitchy and clunky until it is developed further. Getting games in early-access can be a good idea though cos they tend to be cheaper than when they are officially released and you get the updates for free as time goes on. So if you want to buy it cheaper and just put up with the glitchy elements for now until its improved I say go for it, i think i will get it soon, as I say, just from the pics and videos provided it looks like a massive improvement on the last one.

• 7 months later...

Played over 250 hours of this, and played every version since '09. Once you get the hang of the tactics and training its a really immersive manager game. If you just want games, don't bother. This is an in depth management cycle where the onus is on planning and prep than the games themselves.

Archived