The UK games thread

TboneFromTO

Alright everyone, I'll try my best to update this thread with information on UK games, featuring where to sit (taking info from sandy Shipley's twp in the UK groups) where to get drinks before/after the matches and anything else I come up with for each UK game!

So Far we have the opener at Leeds Vs Cas, twp fans are encouraged to sit in section H or the Tetley South Stand (standing).  

For the Salford game there is no Toronto Wolfpack specific section, but most people appear to be getting tickets in W03 (lots of room in row E with me if you fancy!)

More info to come!

Excellent i will give you updates too when I travel to the games. After attending a dozen games at Lamport I'm an EU Wolfpack fan now.

Will be in the Tetley south standing for the Headingley games.

Will arrive in Leeds bus station at around 12.30. not sure how to get to the station by public transport, the only 2 times I went to that stadium was by car.

Waiting to hear from wolfpackUKfans about the pregame pub.

31 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Excellent i will give you updates too when I travel to the games. After attending a dozen games at Lamport I'm an EU Wolfpack fan now.

Will be in the Tetley south standing for the Headingley games.

Will arrive in Leeds bus station at around 12.30. not sure how to get to the station by public transport, the only 2 times I went to that stadium was by car.

Waiting to hear from wolfpackUKfans about the pregame pub.

Awesome! I'll maybe see you there, it's a big standing section though haha

You can take the 508bus towards Halifax (takes 25ish min). There's a train that takes 15min too 

Since I'll spend this Saturday in Manchester and that there is not much RL activity on that day, with a game in Perpignan, not televised, does any of you know if the Wolfpack are training on that day in their Hopwood Hall facilities or somewhere else? Would be interesting to visit anyway.

Weather update: it rained a lot last night across the M62 with a lot of wind. The wind seems weaker now and BBC forecast a bit of sun between 2 and 5. Temp. Max 10. Ideal February rugby weather.

On my way to Leeds now. Feels like my road trip to Lamport on May 06 2017. HISTORY.

Nice game, Leeds Rhinos fans cheered with us most of the time. 

I think physically they were up to the task, but like we say in French "finition" was lacking. It's gonna come with time. Speaking of French, Hakim had a great game.

Can't wait for my next trip.

IMG-20200202-WA0003.jpeg

IMG_20200202_143237433_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

They need to clean up the ball handling and discipline.  Dropped balls killed them today.

Overall though, not a terrible first outing and I still saw some good things in that game.

Its a beginning and a wake up call...had to start somewhere.   Scoreline was not that bad but we have to have better ball handling....lots of drills on the ball handling this week.   Need to calm down and not appear as frantic either.  Patience and steady...it will come.

Any injuries today?

There was some good and bad.

The good: 

The first 5-10 minutes when they scored the first try and were building pressure towards another try, only for the ball to go to ground and be run back the other way for a Castleford try.

The 2nd half effort - game could have really gotten away from them after the first half.

The ball movement looked sharp at times

Good games overall from some players. Miloudi made some errors but looked pretty good otherwise - made some nice plays. Sidlow, Dixon and Singleton were solid. Wallace played well, especially being that he was out of position at fullback

Not a terrible result given that Tigers are a good team and we were not close to full strength. Sets them up for a more focused crack at Salford next week. 

No apparent injuries?

The bad:

The defence in the first half was well off the pace. They had no line speed in defense, especially off their own line, allowing some soft tries. At times the Tigers looked like they'd score on every possession. The lack of line speed meant that the Tigers forwards made the advantage line every time and often made lots of post-contact metres and stood in tackles rather than ending up on their backs.

Tigers made good ground each set compared to the Wolfpack who lacked go-forward from hard running big men. It left the Wolfpack without the platform to let their creative players go to work, leading to attempts to force plays that weren't on.

Tons of handling errors - especially passes behind the runner. Also some silly penalties. The handling will improve in time as combinations gel. All the errors meant that they never built any sustained pressure or maintained any territory advantage. 

Not enough involvement from players like Russell, Kay, Leutele and others running out of dummy half. These guys didn't seem to make an impact until the 2nd half. 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

There was some good and bad.

The good: 

The first 5-10 minutes when they scored the first try and were building pressure towards another try, only for the ball to go to ground and be run back the other way for a Castleford try.

The 2nd half effort - game could have really gotten away from them after the first half.

The ball movement looked sharp at times

Good games overall from some players. Miloudi made some errors but looked pretty good otherwise - made some nice plays. Sidlow, Dixon and Singleton were solid. Wallace played well, especially being that he was out of position at fullback

Not a terrible result given that Tigers are a good team and we were not close to full strength. Sets them up for a more focused crack at Salford next week. 

No apparent injuries?

The bad:

The defence in the first half was well off the pace. They had no line speed in defense, especially off their own line, allowing some soft tries. At times the Tigers looked like they'd score on every possession. The lack of line speed meant that the Tigers forwards made the advantage line every time and often made lots of post-contact metres and stood in tackles rather than ending up on their backs.

Tigers made good ground each set compared to the Wolfpack who lacked go-forward from hard running big men. It left the Wolfpack without the platform to let their creative players go to work, leading to attempts to force plays that weren't on.

Tons of handling errors - especially passes behind the runner. Also some silly penalties. The handling will improve in time as combinations gel. All the errors meant that they never built any sustained pressure or maintained any territory advantage. 

Not enough involvement from players like Russell, Kay, Leutele and others running out of dummy half. These guys didn't seem to make an impact until the 2nd half. 

Thats a good synopsis PackAttack...its coming but its a steep leaning curve...it will all come together.

I'd say they were beaten by a better team but they were not overmatched and they can play better. Probably not to playoff calibre but so long as they stay up I'll be satisfied. 

Besides, that will drive the naysayers absolutely NUTS!

1 minute ago, TIWIT said:

I'd say they were beaten by a better team but they were not overmatched and they can play better. Probably not to playoff calibre but so long as they stay up I'll be satisfied. 

Staying up while building the brand has to be the only goal.  I don't want them to put any effort in to the Challenge Cup at all.

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Agree 100%. I do not understand the Brits' obsession with these secondary competitions.

It's a legacy competition from previous era when League Tables were of secondary importance and the gap between clubs was far smaller.

Super League and modern professionalism really eliminated the requirement for these competitions.

The FA Cup is of declining importance as most clubs would rather see their clubs focus on Champions League, etc.

https://www.dailysabah.com/football/2020/01/07/empty-stands-absent-stars-a-sign-of-fa-cups-decline

Rugby Union used to also have a Cup Contest but got rid of it in 2005.  It still exists in some form and is called the English Premiership Cup but it is used as a development competition for fringe and academy players.

11 hours ago, TIWIT said:

First game but there were many positives.....I'm sticking with my prediction on finishing in the top 5....team will gel, you could see that the potential is certainly there.  We have enough now to sign Quinn and one other youngster (we need a hard hitting forward, quick off the mark).  Depth could be our problem but all the rest is there already.

Naysayers were overjoyed at the loss so wait until the wins start to come...I can hear the whining already...the ref, luck, etc. etc. etc. etc.

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

First game but there were many positives.....I'm sticking with my prediction on finishing in the top 5....team will gel, you could see that the potential is certainly there.  We have enough now to sign Quinn and one other youngster (we need a hard hitting forward, quick off the mark).  Depth could be our problem but all the rest is there already.

Naysayers were overjoyed at the loss so wait until the wins start to come...I can hear the whining already...the ref, luck, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Before the season my pick was middle third. Lack of player depth is a concern if a run of injuries occur. The main thing in season one at the top is stay up. The squad will improve for 2021 I would think as it should each year.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

17 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

It's a legacy competition from previous era when League Tables were of secondary importance and the gap between clubs was far smaller.

Super League and modern professionalism really eliminated the requirement for these competitions.

The FA Cup is of declining importance as most clubs would rather see their clubs focus on Champions League, etc.

https://www.dailysabah.com/football/2020/01/07/empty-stands-absent-stars-a-sign-of-fa-cups-decline

Rugby Union used to also have a Cup Contest but got rid of it in 2005.  It still exists in some form and is called the English Premiership Cup but it is used as a development competition for fringe and academy players.

With Regard to the RU English Premiership Cup, If you are planning to attend the game on Saturday at 2pm against  Us (Salford red devils) at the AJ Bell  stadium and wonder why the Pitch looks a Bit Cut up It'll be due to the Lodgers AKA.  Sale Sharks playing on Friday evening against Saracens (The Salary cap Dodgers Who have been relegated for there dishonest financial affairs by the Inbred Right-wing morons at Twickenham.    SEE YA ALL SATURDAY. As you may or might not say in Canucky land.

1 hour ago, Frankie Z said:

With Regard to the RU English Premiership Cup, If you are planning to attend the game on Saturday at 2pm against  Us (Salford red devils) at the AJ Bell  stadium and wonder why the Pitch looks a Bit Cut up It'll be due to the Lodgers AKA.  Sale Sharks playing on Friday evening against Saracens (The Salary cap Dodgers Who have been relegated for there dishonest financial affairs by the Inbred Right-wing morons at Twickenham.    SEE YA ALL SATURDAY. As you may or might not say in Canucky land.

If I was going to watch the other code, I certainly wouldn't watch the Premiership.  They play an incredibly boring brand of Rugby and I think it's fair when RL fans call Union Yawnion in ref to RU.

Super Rugby on the other hand, I can dig that, especially my Jaguares.  

Too many mistakes in ball handling, the  tackling on the line was terrrrible, needs to be man and ball not round the ankles.The game was all but over at halftime.Big improvement in second half.At least now they know where they stand and should be a big improvement in the next game.

Archived