New TV deal must have the Video referee at EVERY Super League game

Unlike the Soccer Premiership, the Gallagher Premiership and the NRL Super League only has the Video Referee at SKY televised games.

Last Season London Broncos players felt they were robbed in the dying seconds of a win a Huddersfield wth a "Try" that might had the Video referee been there have been given.

Let's be clear here, Huddersfield fans and fans of other clubs may also point to games in which they have been dudded by the lack of the Video referee and who knows how the season would have panned out for Broncos and a number of other clubs had the Video referee been present at all games.

Equally although referees have been making mistakes in Rugby League for over 100 years they are also part of a "team" as well and if a referee who may not have the best view of the action looks at his two touch judges and their flags stay down then he has no option but to stick with the decision on the field.

But the credibility of a league with promotion and relegation in it is damaged by only 40% (sometimes 60% if M Arbiter is at a Catalans televised game) of matches having access to the Video Screen and the rest not. It's not a new issue within Super League as Bobby Goulding raised this when he was still playing at Salford.

Therfore I put itnto this forum that if Super League wishes to be seen as the same "big time sport" as the ones listed in my opening sentence. it needs the Video screen to be available at EVERY Super League game and the next TV deal should include provision for this.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Do I agree with you? Yes one hundred percent!  But isn't this an issue for the league and not the broadcast partners?  The only thing stopping that from happening next week is that SL havn't put the pieces in place.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I've always been of the opinion that it should be at all games or none.

I’d agree with this . And with the none TV games , they’re all filmed so at worst I guess you could have a paired down system of a VR watching the coverage in comms with the ref ?

1 minute ago, Moove said:

Take it out of the money they've held back from TWP?

I'm sure that cash has been spaffed away long ago.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d take it a step further and say the next TV deal should have all games televised (spread over Thursday to Sunday) even if not all on Sky - they’d all have VR, of course.

That would be the ideal. Not sure if it’s possible as it’s not really done with any sport over here even football. 

7 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

That would be the ideal. Not sure if it’s possible as it’s not really done with any sport over here even football. 

A man can dream.

If the powers that be are still thinking of a 10-team Super League then, it seems to me, it would be very doable.

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d take it a step further and say the next TV deal should have all games televised (spread over Thursday to Sunday) even if not all on Sky - they’d all have VR, of course.

And when Sky says "No, we're okay with what we're showing. If we wanted more, we'd have got it years ago", what then?

If we are talking ideal world scenarios, why not go for every match televised FTA and the sport gets twelvety squillion pounds a week.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Unless you’re playing at Batley 

PS I know they’re not in SL but it was an open goal 

Rugby League players don't know they're born. Another glass of Chateau le Chasselet, Obadaiah?

soccer_field_on_a_hill.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Why stop there?

Why doesn’t the RFL confiscate yawnion assets and turn Twickenham into a Dobbies garden centre?

Reduce the TW2 Reichstag to dust, then plough radioactive waste into the ground, so it cannot be used for thousands of years. Of course, there are some people with unacceptably extreme views, but I disassociate myself from them.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can't think of any UK domestic sport which shows every league game on television, so I very much doubt that is a realistic and even positive demand.

I'm always on the fence regarding video referees. The on field decision made by the referee shows that on the vast majority of occasions, they get it right first time. That's not just based on the lack of overturns, but seeing the replays with your own eyes. However, there are some times when the video referee prevents howlers being made.

I do wonder if we will soon see a more interventionist approach as we see in football. Having not had video referees before, football fans often see that system as killing the moment or interfering too much, but compared to rugby it is far less so.

16 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I can't think of any UK domestic sport which shows every league game on television, so I very much doubt that is a realistic and even positive demand.

Rugby league has a proud history of being a pioneering sport so the fact nobody else does something In this country doesn’t count for much in my book.

As a TV punter I’d be delighted for every game of a 10-team Super League to be screened live.

If I’m honest I’d rather see Wigan play Saints three times a season in a 10-team SL than Huddersfield vs Wakefield once in a 12. 

Archived