Witold Pilecki

This is a fantastic story of a real hero

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/01/26/pilecki-auschwitz-polish-resistance/

" ..... Witold Pilecki was a Polish resistance fighter who voluntarily went to Auschwitz to start a resistance, and he sent secret messages to the Allies, becoming the first to sound the alarm about the true nature of Nazi Germany’s largest concentration and extermination camp. "

“When [the Nazis] are doing their best to try and atomize society and break down the bonds between Poles, Pilecki doesn’t turn inwards, he doesn’t retreat into his ethnicity or his class,” Fairweather said. “He actually does the complete opposite, and begins to reach out to those around him.”

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2020 at 20:48, Damien said:

Thanks for that. Its a great read about someone I had absolutely no knowledge about. The Poles really did suffer terribly throughout the 2nd World War and the decades after.

I would have replied earlier Damien but I thought no one was interested because it was me, sorry. Brilliant story isn't it? What a fantastic man!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2020 at 18:59, Oxford said:

This is a fantastic story of a real hero

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/01/26/pilecki-auschwitz-polish-resistance/

" ..... Witold Pilecki was a Polish resistance fighter who voluntarily went to Auschwitz to start a resistance, and he sent secret messages to the Allies, becoming the first to sound the alarm about the true nature of Nazi Germany’s largest concentration and extermination camp. "

“When [the Nazis] are doing their best to try and atomize society and break down the bonds between Poles, Pilecki doesn’t turn inwards, he doesn’t retreat into his ethnicity or his class,” Fairweather said. “He actually does the complete opposite, and begins to reach out to those around him.”

I'm half way through this book and it's a truly inspiring account of an unbelievably brave and selfless man in the midst of some of history's darkest ever days.

I'm well read on the camps and the Final Solution, but this book is a real eye-opener and jaw-dropper! 

Archived