Wolves to target Saracens players?

Their last convert hasn't really shown any quality yet, although I guess we should be expecting a bit more this year with a full pre season under his belt. Regardless of the cap dispensations it's always a risky investment. Always good to see big names in SL regardless of the source but I can't help but feel they could spend the money a bit better.

1 hour ago, Moove said:

Their last convert hasn't really shown any quality yet, although I guess we should be expecting a bit more this year with a full pre season under his belt. Regardless of the cap dispensations it's always a risky investment. Always good to see big names in SL regardless of the source but I can't help but feel they could spend the money a bit better.

He showed what he can do against SRD, I know it was a preseason game but the time he spent last year and a full preseason have got him in good shape. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It would be great if top Union players start moving over to League again, if anything to boost the game’s profile in the national media. 

Yes, good for profile as long as it's not my own club wasting money.

That is not to say that a big name might not encourage fans to actually spend their own money to watch them play. But are there any real big names available and would any fans turn up?

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes, good for profile as long as it's not my own club wasting money.

That is not to say that a big name might not encourage fans to actually spend their own money to watch them play. But are there any real big names available and would any fans turn up?

Owen Farrell, England Captain and Maro Itoje, probably Englands best player are the stand outs for me but are unlikely to leave. 

The most likely players to leave aren't as "big names" and wouldn't be worth the salaries imo. 

I suppose ill go back to the point I often make here on converts. Some of the very best players to play RL and tsome of the finest I have personally seen were from an RU background. 

If we can afford to take a gamble and not have them on the cap for a bit then I'm not sure there is much to lose. 

Just now, Dave T said:

I'm not sure there is much to lose. 

I know it's been a while but the numbers don't/didn't stack up for that to be true Dave.

I also think there are a lot of reasons why it would be less sure now than it ever was in the past.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

All depends on who foots the bill and how.   If Sugar Daddies Moran and Middleton want to potentially flutter away their own war chest on a RU gamble that’s fine.   I just don’t want the club to get in the habit of splashing their ‘normal’ day to day income on such stuff.

The main draw for me would be a big name player to boost both the club’s and the sport’s standing and generate a bit of publicity.   A signing of a current RU England international ‘Star’ would certainly fit the bill, but not so sure about a Saracens squad filler just for the sake of it.   Not on those sort of salaries anyway.

Of course we could just pay them a standard SL salary and offer them lucrative shares in a completely unconnected music business or stationary chain that has absolutely no association with the club whatsoever...

Might be just me but the thought of a union player who may or may not be any good at RL getting paid a lot more than our top players doesn't float my boat.

For example, I'd be interested to know what Luther Burrell is earning at Wire for not showing any real signs of being anything other than an average joe squad player (might eat my words this year but I'd be surprised).

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I suppose ill go back to the point I often make here on converts. Some of the very best players to play RL and tsome of the finest I have personally seen were from an RU background. 

If we can afford to take a gamble and not have them on the cap for a bit then I'm not sure there is much to lose. 

That was true when league was professional and union wasn't 

The money they get paid now the risks aren't worth it unless it's all salary cap exempt 

To come over they would.be amongst the most expensive players 

For the money they would want you could get a top.nrl star 

It's why the nrl doesn't poach any they aren't worth the dollars they want 

14 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Might be just me but the thought of a union player who may or may not be any good at RL getting paid a lot more than our top players doesn't float my boat.

For example, I'd be interested to know what Luther Burrell is earning at Wire for not showing any real signs of being anything other than an average joe squad player (might eat my words this year but I'd be surprised).

The problem is, if we don't, we just keep focusing on lads from a small part of the world and never get any of the diamonds from RU that we previously got. 

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

That was true when league was professional and union wasn't 

The money they get paid now the risks aren't worth it unless it's all salary cap exempt 

To come over they would.be amongst the most expensive players 

For the money they would want you could get a top.nrl star 

That is where the cap limits it though. At the moment Wire can get 2 top class NRL players on the marquee, and then 2 top class Union players. 

In a year that may have a cap value of around 300k and whilst a gamble could pay off. 

Just now, Dave T said:

That is where the cap limits it though. At the moment Wire can get 2 top class NRL players on the marquee, and then 2 top class Union players. 

In a year that may have a cap value of around 300k and whilst a gamble could pay off. 

Yeh if it's off cap I don't mind a gamble

Maybe make it for more than one year 

But for.the money  they want you'd get a much better nrl player

Maybe add.another marquee per team

Though only widdop and sbw are true marquee players and both older 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Owen Farrell, England Captain and Maro Itoje, probably Englands best player are the stand outs for me but are unlikely to leave. 

Would anyone really get excited at the thought of Owen Farrell in super league?  I wouldn't.  I respect his toughness and attitude, but not sure why he would be worth a fortune as a RL player.

2 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Would anyone really get excited at the thought of Owen Farrell in super league?  I wouldn't.  I respect his toughness and attitude, but not sure why he would be worth a fortune as a RL player.

I think it would certainly generate a lot of hype inside and perhaps most importantly outside RL circles, especially if it was a short term loan deal till Sarries sorted themselves out.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The most likely players to leave aren't as "big names" and wouldn't be worth the salaries imo. 

Forget Sarries.... I'd have Cipriani in league if I could have anyone... Would make a great 7

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

One thing he would definitely be able to do is kick goals. Worth a few points every game. Look at Frano Botica. John Monie had him in his all time team of players he'd coached for that reason alone.

Can't see what Itoji would bring to League, one of his biggest assets in Union is his athleticism and work rate allowing him to get to the ruck and win turnover ball. That is an irrelevance for League, yes he does have the ability to bosh a few defenders out the way but I doubt he could do it to the same extent in League and for the amount he would cost he will have more worth to some other Union club looking for the turnovers - i know he is not a saracens player but someone like Sam Underhill would be better, his workrate and tackling would make him better suited to continually being able to front up through an entire set of 6

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I would

Also a lot of southern union fans would be interested in how it went

I accept it would be interesting for a couple of weeks, but after some initial headlines I'm not sure how many people would be queing to hand over their money to watch someone be solid and kick goals.

Archived