Countdown to the new season

jroyales

Really looking forward to the new season. Obviously, with some trepidation looking at the main task of just staying up.

I feel Diskin  has to pick the games that we have a realistic chance of winning and avoiding losing players through injury in the others. The ones to target, I feel, have to be Batley, Swinton, Whitehaven and Dewsbury. I can't see us getting much change out of the rest. However, it still won't stop me being there, including a trip to Toulouse in a couple of weeks.

All the best to the Yeds supporters and who knows  it could be a great season with lots of great memories.

1 hour ago, tandle said:

do I detect a lack of interest, sad times a head I sense. I have to go now to feed the fairies at the bottom of my garden .

That's what I was thinking. If you look through the forums in general they seem pretty quiet compared with what they used to be. But yes on this forum it does seem quiet these days. I suppose the attendance figure's will tell us if people are interested. 

Can't wait for the start of the season myself. Pre season has been a bit stop start with the Rochdale game being the only major worry. Going from Naylor to Diskin may have some teething problems at the start of the year but I think it was necessary for us to kick on in the Championship. We are trying to promote the ball more which has looked slick at times and at others has looked extremely sloppy but we had to change to have a chance at staying up.

We know we don't have the squad numbers at the minute for the whole of the season but the 17 we put out on Sunday is good enough to win. Widnes will bring a fair few fans so this should be a cracking atmosphere to start the new season and whilst they may think this game might be a easy start we won't make it so.

Some of the new lads look extremely promising especially Abram and Fletcher who look like they can really add quality to our team.

Loved going to the Fold in 2016 and 2017 and can't wait again to go to every game there this season.

Come on the Yeds

I too am looking forward to the season, though I know it won't be easy and we'll probably lose more than we win, but who knows.  I'm also looking forward to going to the Fold again as it's a great stadium for RL. 

As Brooksy says, we did need to change our style of play to stand any chance in this league and hopefully the players will get used to the open play that Diskin is trying to promote.

Come on Oldham!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

12 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

According to the championship forum on the main board the bookies are giving us 8 points start against Widnes.  They're expecting a close game. Might put half a crown on us.

Half a crown, you say ?  Forsooth, good sir, would that I could participate in your financial optimism.  For this particular game, based on our pre-season contests, I fear that I could not wager (or afford to lose) more than 1 shilling and 3 pence.

However, I sincerely hope my reluctance to wager a significantly larger sum and subsequently accumulate a most pleasing pecuniary reward does not, based upon the final result, come back to haunt me. 

Or words to that effect.....

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

According to the championship forum on the main board the bookies are giving us 8 points start against Widnes.  They're expecting a close game. Might put half a crown on us.

How much real money is half a crown worth?

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

How much real money is half a crown worth?

In today's money 'half a crown' would be worth GBP 12.5 pence.

10 minutes ago, ArthurO said:

In today's money 'half a crown' would be worth GBP 12.5 pence.

So a crown is a 25 cent piece..what we call a quarter or two bits over here.  And here me thinking all this time it was the top of a rugby pitch.

9 hours ago, ArthurO said:

Half a crown, you say ?  Forsooth, good sir, would that I could participate in your financial optimism.  For this particular game, based on our pre-season contests, I fear that I could not wager (or afford to lose) more than 1 shilling and 3 pence.

However, I sincerely hope my reluctance to wager a significantly larger sum and subsequently accumulate a most pleasing pecuniary reward does not, based upon the final result, come back to haunt me. 

Or words to that effect.....

Was going to go with a couple of bob. But then I thought why not round it up from a florin and add a tanner. 

23 minutes ago, jroyales said:

What's most of the above got to do with the coming season and importantly the first three games. Losing these badly will reflect badly on home attendances and the rest of the season with even less money to spend.

It's got to do with the bookies not being as downbeat and miserable as some people. The bookies are not in the business of losing money and seem to think we have a better chance than we are being given. 

6 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Was going to go with a couple of bob. But then I thought why not round it up from a florin and add a tanner. 

I'm very confident, so will be having a couple of guineas on.

Anyone change one of these here big white fivers?

10 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Cal me mad, but I know we are going to pull off at least one shock this season. So why can't it be the first game ?

No reason why not, particularly if they've been reading the odds and think they just have to turn up.. 

1 hour ago, FailsworthYed said:

No reason why not, particularly if they've been reading the odds and think they just have to turn up.. 

As long as the Roughyeds turn up there's no reason why they shouldn't stand a good chance of winning. As Henry Ford said, whether you think you can or you cannot you are probably right so let's have some positive thinking. A first game win should give a confidence boost to build on for the season with the added bonus of being a poke in the eye to the doomsters and naysayers.

Good luck for a successful season.

Archived