Match Thread: Batley v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 2nd February 2020

28 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Leeds threequarters all through pre-season have been Newman and Handley on the wings and Liam Sutcliffe and Hurrell in the centre. Rhys Evans is in their squad and also a threequarter.

I think Briscoe and McLelland will be in Leeds' 21 regularly as you can't make late changes barring drastic situations to the 21 and given their lack of backs they will need to include them as a precaution in case of late injury/illness.

Fair do's. Forgot about Sutcliffe at centre.

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

His Twitter strongly seems to suggest he's playing tomorrow. Wonder if that means Harrison's dead leg is going to keep him out, and maybe Cooper's not fit yet either.

This is a good early example of why the new 21-man squad rules will be good for coaches, but not so good for us fans. They often won't narrow things down enough to be very informative.

52 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

His Twitter strongly seems to suggest he's playing tomorrow. Wonder if that means Harrison's dead leg is going to keep him out, and maybe Cooper's not fit yet either.

Or if we want to be mischievous Leeds DR players get preference when it comes to our line up.......

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

That would be a change from previous years imo, we've always been told that's not the case and to be fair I think the evidence has backed this up.

It's an awful system, but we've really made it work and the lads who've played for us have given their all for Fev and been terrific. But I can't think of many times when a Leeds player has made the 19 then not made the 17 (injury and late Leeds call notwithstanding).

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

It's an awful system, but we've really made it work and the lads who've played for us have given their all for Fev and been terrific. But I can't think of many times when a Leeds player has made the 19 then not made the 17 (injury and late Leeds call notwithstanding).

Agree, if they are named in the squad they tend to play, but his place in the squad here might be due to one or two of the other lads named not being fully fit. If a couple in that 21-man squad aren't fit, we don't really have too many other realistic options (especially in the pack) at the moment with Davies, Day, Render, and Minns all injured.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Agree, if they are named in the squad they tend to play, but his place in the squad here might be due to one or two of the other lads named not being fully fit. If a couple in that 21-man squad aren't fit, we don't really have too many other realistic options (especially in the pack) at the moment with Davies, Day, Render, and Minns all injured.

Agreed. As I say, it was mischievous of me to suggest otherwise 

If McLelland is available I would "rest" Jouffret for next week because of the three likely half backs he is the only one who will definitely be available for the Fax game. If he played tomorrow and got injured it would be disastrous. Tough on the lad but with the ambitions for this season you have to look at the bigger picture. 

5 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

If McLelland is available I would "rest" Jouffret for next week because of the three likely half backs he is the only one who will definitely be available for the Fax game. If he played tomorrow and got injured it would be disastrous. Tough on the lad but with the ambitions for this season you have to look at the bigger picture. 

If you're going to worry about someone getting injured you'd never play them. Time on the pitch for any new player (particularly a half back) is absolutely vital.

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Plus he'll be gagging to play against his old club.

True, it will be a difficult choice if all 3 are available. It depends on which way Webbo weighs it up. 

Well not a bad performance for the first competitive game of the season.A few errors by both teams but we stretched Batley when throwing the ball about.What can you say about Chizzy?another 80yard interception.His reading of the game and ability to take an opponents pass are something very few players can do so often.Batley gave a spirited display and look a touch quicker than in the last few seasons.We will improve when the players gell so we can look forward to another exciting Championship season.Glad the rain that was forecast kept off.

Right Robin it was. It lead indirectly to 2 on their tries, the other was the only mistake Chizzy made  by missing that tackle.I thought the team just did enough to win , which of course they did. However I think if Batley keep on improving they could do OK.

Batley played well and threw the ball about. Much improved from last season. Think Chizzy was the difference and apart from a missed tackle he looked class. We will miss him for next three games. What Ive seen of Jouffret though he wont let us down. Blackmore looks strong. Hall looked class when linking and special mention for Parata for his defence. It blew the cobwebs away. Good start.

On 02/02/2020 at 18:18, Robin Evans said:

Discipline was sheeite at times

On 02/02/2020 at 18:35, haskey said:

Right Robin it was. It lead indirectly to 2 on their tries, the other was the only mistake Chizzy made  by missing that tackle.I thought the team just did enough to win , which of course they did. However I think if Batley keep on improving they could do OK.

Agree re the discipline, two of Batley's three tries followed double penalties in the same set. Batley played pretty well but we didn't help oursleves by inviting them into our territory a few times with penalties.

Chisholm's tackle attempt for that breakaway try was a poor one, but I think the main problem there was perhaps Ferres' unfamiliarity with Championship players - James Brown was one on one with Bussey, who seemed to have him covered. However Ferres edged in to help and created a gap, perhaps unaware that Brown has a good passing game for a prop, and Chisholm had to leave his own man to try and make the tackle (not very well it has to be said).

Otherwise Chisholm was very good with several excellent moments, and Ferres had a good game too apart from that.

A key moment came early in the second half. Batley were passing the ball from right to left and both Hardcastle and Briscoe tried to jam in to stop the overlap but both missed their man. However, McLelland and Harrison showed great hustle to get across and cut off the overlap - their centre should still have passed to the wing but Harrison was at least in position to make the tackle had he done so. Two plays later Chisholm went 90m for the score and we never looked back from then.

Susino proved once again what a valuable workhorse he is going to be, played for all bar the last six or seven minutes. It's going to help a lot with our interchange options having him and Lockwood who can both do big minutes in the middle. Think the interchange rule continues to have a big impact on games, think the reason we started with Bussey at 9 was probably so Parata could come on after about 25 mins and play 55 minutes without needing to use two interchanges.

Think overall it was a solid rather than fluent performance, think we will improve steadily in the opening weeks as the players get more accustomed to each other - I think Hall has now passed the ball into touch four times during passing movements, which hopefully will improve as they get used to playing more with each other, though Chisholm's suspension won't help in that respect.

Archived