Israel Folau

fevnut

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The arguments FOR Folau on this thread are the same drivel we see on football where results are all that matter and no-one gives a damn about the morals of the players, the crowds or the financial supporters.

Rugby league is better than that. Players can openly come out as gay in our sport and only the knuckle-draggers get upset about it.

By bringing Folau in, we've allowed the sport to go back to the days where homosexuality was considered something distasteful and to be hidden away.

Do we REALLY want to be seen as having a lower moral standard than union?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

28 minutes ago, ckn said:

I wonder how they're fitting that into their salary cap. That's a lot of "marquee" players...

Interesting question. Is their salary cap in Euros? Genuine question I don't know. Presumably they got him way below his true RL player value, given his total lack of options.

1 minute ago, ckn said:

The arguments FOR Folau on this thread are the same drivel we see on football where results are all that matter and no-one gives a damn about the morals of the players, the crowds or the financial supporters.

Rugby league is better than that. Players can openly come out as gay in our sport and only the knuckle-draggers get upset about it.

By bringing Folau in, we've allowed the sport to go back to the days where homosexuality was considered something distasteful and to be hidden away.

Empty Words

If you want morality go to a Church Mosque Synagogue Temple

Irony is SL is sponsored by a betting/gambling company

How ironic....

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Apparently so. May divert some of the outrage about Toronto back onto the other foreigners though.

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

Correct. 

Just now, ckn said:

Yeah god forbid rugby league became more like soccer 

Lets just stay in our small.bubble.where.nobody knows about the game 

But at least we didn't offend anybody 

You sound like he's a mass murderer he isn't 

He's just an idiot who made 3 stupid posts on Twitter 

2 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Interesting question. Is their salary cap in Euros? Genuine question I don't know. Presumably they got him way below his true RL player value, given his total lack of options.

Union player exemption

It's only a one year deal 

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Just posing the question...

Do Catalans have a moral obligation or do they have an obligation to win, as long as its within the rules?

How is he banned in the NRL and not in SL? Whats the difference?

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

Keep beating that drum, CKN you might actually get some people to believe it. 

Regarding Folau, I've not seen anyone saying they agree with his beliefs - personally I found them abhorrent. But some posters have very strange double standards, which is...interesting at best. 

Also , when you look at his posts it wasn’t just anti-gay . It was a proper off the scale 16th century Puritan fire and brimstone rant . We were all in there somewhere , all hell bound . Really he sounded like a total fruitcake . And saying ‘ well I’m a Christian ‘ as some sort of mitigation was even more bizarre . So am I but I was never taught all that , more the opposite really . So in more than one regard he’s off the wall . And he’s just said he won’t repeat it ... not he’s revoking any of it . He’s just keeping his trap shut for now to get a gig somewhere . All in all I’m not sure all this baggage is gonna do the dragons any good in the long run or in the wider context 

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

Just posing the question...

Do Catalans have a moral obligation or do they have an obligation to win, as long as its within the rules?

How is he banned in the NRL and not in SL? Whats the difference?

End justifies the means is very much how it's done in football. If they clamped down on their thugs in their crowds then it'd damage their revenue source and that's all that matters. I hope our sport never goes that way.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Also , when you look at his posts it wasn’t just anti-gay . It was a proper off the scale 16the century Puritan fire and brimstone rant . We were all in there somewhere , all hell bound . Really he sounded like a total fruitcake . And saying ‘ well I’m a Christian ‘ as some sort of mitigation was even more bizarre . So am I but I was never taught all that , more the opposite really . So in more than one regard he’s off the wall . And he’s just said he won’t repeat it ... not he’s revoking any of it . He’s just keeping his trap shut for now to get a gig somewhere 

Yes I forget 

He hated atheists drunks as well 

That's me going to hell

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

This guy lives a far purer life than most of us can ever imagine , I think as a society we are in danger of the tail wagging the dog ! If that makes me a knuckle dragger so be it

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

10 years since he played league I believe - not sure how that effects how much he takes on the cap though? Be interesting to find out. 

Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year.

Really disappointed with this signing.

Fascinating stuff!

It really is a difficult topic. I understand the arguments about other people being allowed play after committing seemingly more serious offences, no matter how crassly they are put across. I also see the negatives in welcoming someone with such openly abhorrent views, who continues to spew hate in a public forum despite repeated warnings and sackings.

On balance, we need to live in a society where people can atone for their errors, serve their punishment and have a chance at redemption. I think that's why people can stomach people like Lodge, Hardaker, Bird etc. They have served some sort of punishment and committed to change. Whilst I find their actions disturbing, they deserve a chance at redemption.

This is where the Folau situation is a little difficult. He hasn't committed a crime but has clearly gone beyond the boundaries of acceptability for most decent people in society. At this point it seems sport has stepped in to dish out the 'punishment' in lieu of an actual crime being committed. He clearly hasn't heeded the warning and doesn't seem capable of change. He is a toxic presence, no matter what you think of his ability (some people here seem to think he's the messiah and above reproach).

I think of it this way: If there was some extreme Imam saying all non-muslims should be killed playing the game, would that be acceptable? It's only his opinion after all. Hate speech emboldens bigots and the darkest elements of society, some of which it appears we have on this board. It shouldn't be tolerated.

I'm disappointed in Catalans but I agree that they should have the right to sign him and would strongly advise they control his social media output.

On the non-hate speech front, I would temper the delusion with a few points:

• He's no doubt a good player but there is no guarantee at 30 years old and several years out of the game that he will be worth all this hassle. He should be good but there's a chance he will be pretty average.
  • It will have negligible impact on crowds for Catalan.
  • The media will show some interest up front but that will not translate to more coverage for RL in the UK.
  • If he does fire, then an already impressive looking Catalans will be a serious contender. This will however, hardly solve their problems with traveling and some of the culture issues they have.
  • It certainly adds some added intrigue to an already intriguing season.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Archived