1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

A public shaming...I thought we had left the Dark Ages a long time ago...its in poor taste.

This isn't Game of Thrones.

I don't understand why you'd take issue with standing up to homophobia?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Look, if you're uncomfortable with standing up to homophobia, just say.

It's going to be fabulous.

I have always stood up to homophobia...but publicly shaming someone is not the proper way to stand...you actually kneel down to their level.  It has the potential to become a mockery.

Its poorly done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kayakman said:

I have always stood up to homophobia

It kinda looks like you're not. It looks like you're more bothered about what "the religious right" think.

It kinda feels you'd like to stand up to homophobia by being completely quiet and hoping the mean man goes away.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Given that Lenegan was on the radio earlier saying Wigan actually looked at signing him but couldn't fit him under the cap, I'm not sure their moral position on this is quite as high as being made out. Although I do agree with the end result

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

I have always stood up to homophobia...but publicly shaming someone is not the proper way to stand...you actually kneel down to their level.  It has the potential to become a mockery.

Its poorly done.

Correct , although I look forward to the first club to declare their match against Les Cats as ' Atheist pride day ' 

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If I was Robert Elstone right now I’d be worried about the reaction of sponsors and potential sponsors/investors. 

It's ok, we don't seem to be bothering with sponsors any more. This is the first year I have known where we haven't announced any new SL deals in the lead up to the season. I do accept they have two days left. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't understand why you'd take issue with standing up to homophobia?

Every single one of us should stand up to homophobia. It needs to be confronted.

The issue here is whether homophobic 'opinion' - which is unpleasant but not criminal - should result in the holder of that opinion being barred from pursuing their profession. Moreover, the individual in question here has not incited hatred in any legal sense, nor claimed that gay people should be discriminated against. He has said that he believes (knows?) that they are condemned to hell.

That isn't the same as wanting them there (he doesn't) or launching an unprovoked assault.

IR is bonkers. But that's it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It kinda looks like you're not. It looks like you're more bothered about what "the religious right" think.

It kinda feels you'd like to stand up to homophobia by being completely quiet and hoping the mean man goes away.

Not at all; you could not be further off the mark.  Of course you voice you thoughts in a kind, open way, an accepting way even if they don't want to hear/see it.  

You show the homophobe pity, you display an example of acceptance, even of him, which shows him the proper way of handling these situations.

You are in control of the situation, the situation is not in control of you.

20 minutes ago, eal said:

Israel Folau has not encouraged violence against homosexuals. He has said he believes they are condemned in the afterlife. If you disagree with his theology you will think that isn't going to happen so no big deal. It would be different if he was calling for the public execution of homosexuals.

The majority of young homosexuals are being raised in religious households. Too many of them are already full of self loathing and think about suicide or other unhealthy activities to help them deal with life. To have Folau then, in a very public manner, really stick the knife in is totally irresponsible.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 2

Am I missing something? Guy believes in God so he's bought into all sorts of nonsense that belongs in a bygone era. As far as I can see his 'crime' is saying homosexuals will go to hell. It's the equivalent of saying if you pull a face and the wind changes it will stick that way. Utter tripe and not worth the attention it's getting.

If we really want to start vetting players based on their views on a range of topics we are heading down a dangerous route. As far as I can tell he hasn't broken any laws and as such I don't think the RFL legally can ban him. It would be different if he was contracted by the RFL and breached a term of his contract.

The best thing we can do as a sport is show how inclusive we are and I like Wigan's idea of a pride day when the sides meet albeit a bit of a cynical marketing/PR ploy given they happily employ Hardaker who has been banned for worse than Falou. 

• Like 3

Just home after a 12hr shift and wow 480 posts,good job he didn't sign for Toronto !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Who’ll give me a price on Folau moving to Toulon or some such in French onion?

During or after the season?

2 minutes ago, Colin James said:

The best thing we can do as a sport is show how inclusive we are and I like Wigan's idea of a pride day when the sides meet albeit a bit of a cynical marketing/PR ploy given they happily employ Hardaker who has been banned for worse than Falou. 

It has the potential to become a two bit circus.  I hope it doesn't come back to bite them...decisions like this need to be made with thought; not in a knee jerk way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Every single one of us should stand up to homophobia. It needs to be confronted.

The issue here is whether homophobic 'opinion' - which is unpleasant but not criminal - should result in the holder of that opinion being barred from pursuing their profession. Moreover, the individual in question here has not incited hatred in any legal sense, nor claimed that gay people should be discriminated against. He has said that he believes (knows?) that they are condemned to hell.

That isn't the same as wanting them there (he doesn't) or launching an unprovoked assault.

IR is bonkers. But that's it.

But exactly what is "Hell" ? It is a place in the mind of some religious people who believe it is there.  So if you don't believe in an actual place of Hell then how can anyone moan about a person being condemned there when you think it doesn't exist ?

• Like 1

The game has an opportunity to differentiate itself from Folau. We dont have to discriminate against him to show that we dont agree with him.

The game should be louder in its support of acceptance and LGBTQ rights. We have a proud history of doing so. And if Folau steps out of line he should be kicked out quickly and without equivocation. 

If folau agrees to uphold the games support of tolerance that what reason should we keep him out? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But exactly what is "Hell" ? It is a place in the mind of some religious people who believe it is there.  So if you don't believe in an actual place of Hell then how can anyone moan about a person being condemned there when you think it doesn't exist ?

It’s in Norway . Apparently we’re all going there so put a big coat on 181BE986-8303-47E6-B40D-E6CB5AF21B9A.thumb.jpeg.00a237a6e70579471dee645da4733c16.jpeg

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

During or after the season?

At half time, given the loyalty he's shown in the past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Martin Offiah is right on the money. Super League has signed two of the biggest names in rugby union. Now if only someone would sign Owen Farrell!

I wonder how people will react if Israel Folau -- playing in the centres more likely than on the wing -- helps Catalans become a powerful top five team. Following on the signing of James Maloney, with the signing of Israel Folau Catalans now have a very impressive backline, perhaps the best in Super League. It is now up to the Catalan pack to lay the platform for the star studded backline.

Australia's Israel Folau runs through to score a try during the international rugby union test match between Scotland and Australia at the M...

18 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I've been told to go there several times 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Will the fact that Folau is playing for the Catalans have any effect on the degree of pride you take in your son?

Probably the most stupid, ill conceived and pointless question you've ever asked of anyone Martyn. 

I always thought you were a well informed and educated champion of our sport, engaging and analytical in your writing........until now.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The guy is a dumb ass and thinks the majority of us are going to hell for our various sins etc but so what? I know it’s a knee jerk reaction to be ###### off but once it settles do you really care about his view? I don’t. If he agrees not to bring it up again and has a good season what is the point of continuing to go after him? It’s like others have said we tolerate violence, cheating and criminality but not a guy saying we might end up in an imaginary place. It could turn out to be a positive for him and our game if some constructive conversations take place or turn to 💩 with Abu Hamzi, Tommy Robinson remarks and milkshake attacks etc 

Edited by Bert1

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

Don't  know if this has been posted already but it's a valid point:

Or, put another way, the most famous and most infamous!   Just sayin'.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I've been told to go there several times 

I've been there and back a few times...only one more trip left I figure.