1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

I've been there and back a few times...only one more trip left I figure.

You've been and come back , that explains plenty 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You've been and come back , that explains plenty 

Worse thing is the reason I'm back...I was told to come back for you Gubs.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Worse thing is the reason I'm back...I was told to come back for you Gubs.

Be gone bealzebub 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Be gone bealzebub 

We will hunt ya up...no worries.

46 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It kinda looks like you're not. It looks like you're more bothered about what "the religious right" think.

It kinda feels you'd like to stand up to homophobia by being completely quiet and hoping the mean man goes away.

What a ridiculous take on the situation. so many self righteous people on here judging how other people should feel/act on this.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

What a ridiculous take on the situation. so many self righteous people on here judging how other people should feel/act on this.  

Its Okay...I'm used to it...I'm a Wolfpack fan.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The game has an opportunity to differentiate itself from Folau. We dont have to discriminate against him to show that we dont agree with him.

The game should be louder in its support of acceptance and LGBTQ rights. We have a proud history of doing so. And if Folau steps out of line he should be kicked out quickly and without equivocation. 

If folau agrees to uphold the games support of tolerance that what reason should we keep him out? 

That sounds way too tolerant for some on here! 

Summary:

• Israel Folau signs for Catalan Dragons
  • Bad vibe because of his 'religious' stance on homosexuals, single sex marriage, and a trove of other things that god will (in Folau's opinion) punish us for
  • RFL/SLE powerless to stop his signing (and, potential, attendant bad publicity) so do next best thing and put some contract clauses on him (that worked really well previously, lets hope their lawyers are a bit better than those of the ARU)
  • Wigan rapidly turn tables a bit by declaring Wigan v Catalan a 'Pride Day'
  • Lines drawn on TotalRL forum and the fun begins

Misconceptions:

1. The ARU sacked Folau because of his beliefs/homophobia. He was sacked because, in the opinion of the ARU, he had breached the terms of his contract by issuing statements that oppose the code of conduct that he sighed up to and had had several warnings about
  2. Folau 'won' his court case. He didn't, it was settled out of court. The reasons for this are unknown but the likelihood is that the ARU was advised that the case was likely to go on a long, expensive, journey through the AUS legal system. Folau had little risk as his only downside was that he was sacked (by this time people will have already made up their mind about his 'character' and employability), his upside was enormous, lots of dosh, lots of publicity and no costs to bear (his cost being paid by donations). The case ended with Folau and the ARU parting ways, some words that were agreed they'd both say being said, and the ARU paying off his contract (which was probably less than the cost of going right through the AUS legal system and appeals if he didn't win, and definitely less than if he won!). Upside:
    1. for Folau he gets his pay off, he saves face
    2. the ARU are still in business, their sponsors believe that they will protect their values (and they'll be paying a lot more attention to their player contract terms)

Outcome:

1. no matter what we say on here Folau will become (is ?) a Catalan employee
  2. the lines that were drawn will be fiercely defended
  3. a record breaking single day thread length?

It will be interesting to see how quickly Catalan can get him match fit, given that they've only got his services for a limited time, and whether  a) he plays well and b) doesn't destroy whatever team spirit/harmony they've built to date.

Edited by TBone
  • Like 2

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Discrimination is real my friend - you keep up the good fight! 

You don't gotta tell me....I'm with the righteous Baby!

Trying to bring a sense of balance to my own contribution to this discussion, I don't think that what  Folau has said on the subject of gay people can be classified a homophobia - at least not in the truest sense of the word.

Homophobia is a dislike/hatred of gay people and acting in a discriminatory manner.

I think it is pretty clear that Folau believes what he says and that gay people will suffer in the afterlife if they do not repent in this one.  He undoubtedly believes that he is acting out of compassion or indeed love for his fellow man trying to save them from this fate.

The problem is that the idea that gay people will suffer any punishment for their homosexuality is completely at odds with modern inclusive and tolerant thinking where in 2020 we do not judge people based on some text laid down 3,000 years ago.

He is not being homophobic but he is misguided at best and I would say deluded or worse.

I could not be further away from Folau in his beliefs or statements in this matter and I do find them abhorrent (albeit genuine).  The problem with his views are that they are at odds with modern progressive thinking and unfortunately perpetuate a narrative that there is something 'wrong' or 'unnatural' about gay people, a view which itself can be a breeding ground for genuine homophobia from which discrimination or violence can emerge.

It is very difficult to square a sport that has a stated policy of inclusiveness and tolerance with the signing of a player who believes that homosexuality is a characteristic from which an individual needs to repent.

As a sport we didn't have the dilemma of terminating his contract, we had the really easy decision of not signing him which is the route I preferred we took.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

its just a good thing john hopoate isn't lining up against him in sl this season

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Trying to bring a sense of balance to my own contribution to this discussion, I don't think that what  Folau has said on the subject of gay people can be classified a homophobia - at least not in the truest sense of the word.

Homophobia is a dislike/hatred of gay people and acting in a discriminatory manner.

I think it is pretty clear that Folau believes what he says and that gay people will suffer in the afterlife if they do not repent in this one.  He undoubtedly believes that he is acting out of compassion or indeed love for his fellow man trying to save them from this fate.

The problem is that the idea that gay people will suffer any punishment for their homosexuality is completely at odds with modern inclusive and tolerant thinking where in 2020 we do not judge people based on some text laid down 3,000 years ago.

He is not being homophobic but he is misguided at best and I would say deluded or worse.

I could not be further away from Folau in his beliefs or statements in this matter and I do find them abhorrent (albeit genuine).  The problem with his views are that they are at odds with modern progressive thinking and unfortunately perpetuate a narrative that there is something 'wrong' or 'unnatural' about gay people, a view which itself can be a breeding ground for genuine homophobia from which discrimination or violence can emerge.

It is very difficult to square a sport that has a stated policy of inclusiveness and tolerance with the signing of a player who believes that homosexuality is a characteristic from which an individual needs to repent.

As a sport we didn't have the dilemma of terminating his contract, we had the really easy decision of not signing him which is the route I preferred we took.

This. 100% this. Didn't need to go anywhere near did they.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

This. 100% this. Didn't need to go anywhere near did they.

The trigger seems to have been Williame (sp?) leaving the Dragons and them believing themselves short of top class backs. Either that or they are courting the publicity, maybe even enough to attract a TV deal?

If you accept (which I do) that homosexuality is not a choice but a chance of birth just like skin colour, race, ethnicity then how can you not be disgusted by what Folau believes?  Would we accept the same comments if he'd said them about people with a certain skin colour?  No chance.  So what's the difference?

• Like 3

I hope he fails in his bid to jumpstart his career.

Initially this will bring publicity to Super League and I can see how some might want that.

But eventually any success he enjoys will be accompanied with reference to these idiotic beliefs and that will cast a shadow over anything that is achieved.

I'm staggered how many people don't see how a high profile person pushing out messages very publicly and regularly could influence a large number of people, emboldening dark elements of society and indeed inciting hatred. 

He may not have said outright "go out and hurt gay people" but by normalising the discrimination and repeatedly pushing a message like this it will inevitably lead to a swelling of homophobia. I assume people just don't want to join the dots, then again people voted to trash the economy because of a lie on a bus.

Just hope he sticks to his word, cans the rubbish and becomes an asset to the competition through his performances on the field. If he wants to extol Christian values then he'd be much better served going out into the community in Perpignan and helping out with kids charities etc. That would go some way to making this go away even though we all know that the underlying thoughts are still there.

I'm oddly excited to see what he will bring on the field, such a shame he's so tainted.

• Like 3

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Other than Keegan Hirst, the only openly gay professional RL player, not one other club or player (as far as I’m aware) has publicly condemned Catalans signing Folau. Interesting considering the reaction on here and other social media platforms. 

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But exactly what is "Hell" ? It is a place in the mind of some religious people who believe it is there.  So if you don't believe in an actual place of Hell then how can anyone moan about a person being condemned there when you think it doesn't exist ?

I stopped in a San Antonio apartment many years ago on a stag do and I'd put that pretty close,the temperature was probably compatible.

• Haha 1

Just now, Davo5 said:

I stopped in a San Antonio apartment many years ago on a stag do and I'd put that pretty close,the temperature was probably compatible.

You're supposed to be on the lookout for something hot when on a stag do aren't you ? 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Was there little red pointy eared and tailed Cherubs stabbing you with tridents ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Don't  know if this has been posted already but it's a valid point:

I was going to post the same, it’s very true. We really are in the limelight now, I’m really looking forward to the new season