18 minutes ago, dkw said:

Does hardaker also endorse this I wonder..... 

Hardaker and Folau will be wearing a special rainbow kit for the game as part of their rehabilitation 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

This is an argument that I've seen prop its head up a few times. 

The concept of heaven or hell or God does not have to be believed in order to find this comment offensive. To say that someone should go to a place like that is offensive, or that someone being homosexual is the reason for the bad things that happen in the world spreads hate.

Let's not stop these people playing though. What's the point in hiding them away? They exist. Let's challenge them and their beliefs. Loudly.

He hasn't said " they should go " , he has said he believes they will , there is a difference 

1 minute ago, Moove said:

Hardaker and Folau will be wearing a special rainbow kit for the game as part of their rehabilitation 

So which one will be zippy and which one will be bungle? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CiderWire said:

Probably the most stupid, ill conceived and pointless question you've ever asked of anyone Martyn. 

I always thought you were a well informed and educated champion of our sport, engaging and analytical in your writing........until now.

I'm aware that it was stupid, ill-conceived and pointless precisely because the answer was obvious, which was why I asked it.

Of course nothing Folau could tweet would have any effect on the pride you take in your son's achievements.

So bearing that in mind, why should that affect whether or not you support the Catalans Dragons?

As I have pointed out earlier, my daughter and son-in-law are evangelical Christians who have some views that I strongly disagree with.

But that doesn't mean that I would not give them as much support as I could with their lives and with bringing up their children.

Part of the art of living is recognising that some people who you might otherwise admire and respect have opinions that you might dispute, but not to the extent of driving a wedge between you.

But unfortunately in the modern world far too many people seem to want to exacerbate division while hypocritically proclaiming that they are encouraging diversity.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

But unfortunately in the modern world far too many people seem to want to exacerbate division while hypocritically proclaiming that they are encouraging diversity.

Amen (or am I allowed to say that?)

• Like 1

This is an article on the BBC Sport website ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51282586

My only comment is that Dave Woods says "It's fair to say that the whole game is appalled by Catalans' decision to sign Israel Folau ....."

No, it is not "fair to say" that.  As seen in this thread, some are against it but some are not bothered, so "the WHOLE game" is NOT appalled by it (unless we as supporters are not considered as part of the game by Dave Woods). This is the type of journalism that causes animosity and could entice some people to overreact to an incident about which they really don't know the full facts. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

This is an article on the BBC Sport website ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51282586

My only comment is that Dave Woods says "It's fair to say that the whole game is appalled by Catalans' decision to sign Israel Folau ....."

No, it is not "fair to say" that.  As seen in this thread, some are against it but some are not bothered, so "the WHOLE game" is NOT appalled by it (unless we as supporters are not considered as part of the game by Dave Woods). This is the type of journalism that causes animosity and could entice some people to overreact to an incident about which they really don't know the full facts. 

The whole game includes statements by almost all the media, clubs (including Catalans ffs), administrators and players that have said anything. 

Fans are more difficult to judge, purely on the basis that they don't have an official platform and so until the season gets underway reaction is hard to work out. It will be interesting to see the response at the Catalans club amongst their fans.

10 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Part of the art of living is recognising that some people who you might otherwise admire and respect have opinions that you might dispute, but not to the extent of driving a wedge between you.

But unfortunately in the modern world far too many people seem to want to exacerbate division while hypocritically proclaiming that they are encouraging diversity

This is all true, but doesn't mean we should tolerate intolerance (or financially support it).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Its called the "Trump Effect".

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The whole game includes statements by almost all the media, clubs (including Catalans ffs), administrators and players that have said anything. 

Fans are more difficult to judge, purely on the basis that they don't have an official platform and so until the season gets underway reaction is hard to work out. It will be interesting to see the response at the Catalans club amongst their fans.

Maybe the odd one might bother about it but I don't think too many will. They'll be more bothered about his rugby skills.

People and the game are quick to ban somebody that has said he doesnt believe in homosexuality, amongst other things. What crime has Folau committed? Has he hurt or attacks physically anybody? So why stop him from playing? Is it even legal to even try and stop him? We may not like what Folau believes or has said. But is that reason to ban him? What happened to freedom of speech?

Funny how people and the game want to ban Folau, yet accept and even immortalize people Who are criminals or have regularly committed criminal acts like Drug taking/traffiking, physical attacks on others, including Partners, Police etc, fraud etc. Why is it OK to have repeat criminal offenders like Greg Bird, Andrew Johns, Zak Hardakre, Joel Tomkins, Shane Flanaghan, Kenny Edwards involved in the game and lauded as Heroes and not Folau Who has done nothing wrong

I would rather have somebody like Folau involved in the game, that does not act like a dick or commit criminal acts before a few other individuals mentioned.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

This is all true, but doesn't mean we should tolerate intolerance (or financially support it).

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." - Nietzsche

Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

Maybe the odd one might bother about it but I don't think too many will. They'll be more bothered about his rugby skills.

I don't know and I wouldn't want to speak for Catalans fans, but I know if my club signed him there would be at the least some discontent on the terraces verging to protests.

1 minute ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." - Nietzsche

Ahhhh...the yawning void.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't know and I wouldn't want to speak for Catalans fans, but I know if my club signed him there would be at the least some discontent on the terraces verging to protests.

But how many would actually show that discontent and not go to the matches as a protest? Again, I think not many

Hopefully he keeps his opinions to himself has a change of heart. Pride game vs Wigan is a big hit and Catalan go on to do the treble and all is forgotten.

5 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But how many would actually show that discontent and not go to the matches as a protest? Again, I think not many

These days it doesn't have to mean not going to matches, it can be bombarding social media with negativity for example - making sponsors much less likely to want to associate themselves with the club. As with any form of protest there are varying levels of success and traction.

You can think not many, I can think a larger number. Neither of us know who is correct.

Edited by Tommygilf

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

These days it doesn't have to mean not going to matches, it can be bombarding social media with negativity for example - making sponsors much less likely to want to associate themselves with the club. As with any form of protest there are varying levels of success and traction.

You can think not many, I can think a larger number. Neither of us know who is correct.

Agreed. I just wondered that if the actual fans of a team were so against him playing then how many might not go to the match. Again, I just think they'd be more bothered about watching their team than his views.  As you say, however, we will have to wait and see.

9 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

I have done half a degree on political philosophy if you want this to descend into a quote vs counter-quote fest that will achieve absolutely nothing. 

I'm well aware of the risks of illiberal censorship of free speech being enacted in laws etc and the potential threat that poses to our society. That said, standing up to homophobia is not "becoming a monster". 

3 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Agreed. I just wondered that if the actual fans of a team were so against him playing then how many might not go to the match. Again, I just think they'd be more bothered about watching their team than his views.  As you say, however, we will have to wait and see.

Put it this way I don't see this getting them any more fans out of this, both directly or external. 

1 minute ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

People and the game are quick to ban somebody that has said he doesnt believe in homosexuality, amongst other things. What crime has Folau committed? Has he hurt or attacks physically anybody? So why stop him from playing? Is it even legal to even try and stop him? We may not like what Folau believes or has said. But is that reason to ban him? What happened to freedom of speech?

Funny how people and the game want to ban Folau, yet accept and even immortalize people Who are criminals or have regularly committed criminal acts like Drug taking/traffiking, physical attacks on others, including Partners, Police etc, fraud etc. Why is it OK to have repeat criminal offenders like Greg Bird, Andrew Johns, Zak Hardakre, Joel Tomkins, Shane Flanaghan, Kenny Edwards involved in the game and lauded as Heroes and not Folau Who has done nothing wrong

I would rather have somebody like Folau involved in the game, that does not act like a sweet and lovely person or commit criminal acts before a few other individuals mentioned.

Its not legal to try and stop him no. But common decency and financial principles should tell you that as a club you should want to stay miles away from him just for the bad PR it generates. 

34 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Just as a contrast, the replies to the Pink News twitter feed on the story are far more humorous than those on here.

Gist of it is, they think he's probably in the closet.

So actual gay people can see the lighter side whilst we have the fake moral outrage on here

Shame we don't have more lgbt posters the discussion would be more pleasant 

• Like 1