ITV have confirmed that he wasn’t fired over just one tweet.

But something was being said about lies and the truth?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That’s an answer to a post I didn’t write.

When I lived in the USA, I said many things that were racially insensitive through genuine ignorance. Once told, I understood and stopped. Because I am not a big old racist. It is hard to see what is difficult or oppressive. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, RMBJ said:

A 40 year career over because of this Tweet? 

spacer.png

Unfortunately context is no longer taken into account, the twitter morons decide he's racist and there's no coming back. He apologises he's admitting guilt and they will just double up there efforts to destroy him. 

Edited by dkw
  • Like 2

It was interesting to hear Stewart's supporters praising his attention to detail, and how every word was thought out and in for a reason. 

I did wonder whether they were veiled digs tbh. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Unfortunately context is no longer taken into account, the twitter morons decide he's racist and there's no coming back. He apologises he's admitting guilt and they will just double up there efforts to destroy him. 

Twitter really is a cesspit. 

You can feel yourself losing IQ points the longer you stay on it. 

Not recommended. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

He left ITV before it became properly public what he did though, so not sure that is the case here. 

8 minutes ago, dkw said:

ITV have said it wasn’t just this one tweet.

And the context is that he was asked to consider that maybe he should consider what his words mean and he chose not to.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He left ITV before it became properly public what he did though, so not sure that is the case here. 

Yes. The account had been deleted before most people were even aware. Hasn’t stopped the lie that there was a twitter mob spreading.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."  - Winston Churchill

Just because you're not very well read, don't assume others are as poorly educated.

I'll keep it civilised if you do. Your choice. 

Again, you show your ignorance of the truth.

Keep it civilised? You quoted Churchill. We know where you're coming from, Rupert.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

8 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Again, you show your ignorance of the truth.

Keep it civilised? You quoted Churchill. We know where you're coming from, Rupert.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective not the truth. 

Be more stoic. 

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

ITV have said it wasn’t just this one tweet.

And the context is that he was asked to consider that maybe he should consider what his words mean and he chose not to.

Like I said, if he apologises it just legitimises his racism in the eyes of the toxic vermin on twitter. 

Crikey this thread has gone off on a tangent. Who’d have thought there was a game on when you lot were busy posting stuff? Personally I prefer watching the game rather than writing about former newsreaders. 

3 hours ago, Rob Nash said:

I find it amusing as an atheist he thinks I'm going to hell. His views on homosexuals however are abhorrent. I feel he will help to portray our sport as a whole in a positive light with the inevitable protests. Catalans as a club however should be ashamed.

Just to clear things up a bit, now will this get me a ban on here?? Everyone goes on about rights but clearly some are more taboo than others.1165627133_slide_19(1).jpg.b50008d7e34afc1002bb4014d30cdf2b.jpg

39 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective not the truth. 

Be more stoic. 

Tell others to be more stoic when you are stoic.

Edited by Mister Ting

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

13 hours ago, Dave T said:

The bit that seems lacking from many of these posts making any kind of defence is the acknowledgement of the people that are the target of this hatred. Many LGBTQ+ people are still vulnerable in many parts of the world, including the UK, where we see regular homophobic attacks. But it can be much worse in other parts of the world where people can be thrown off buildings or stoned for being gay, often driven by a religious cult. But hey, its what they believe in

Im not picking a fight bro. But Christians also face the same plight across the world.... very sadly for both.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-50924266

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Here is my last word on the subject.  This is my thought process on the whole matter.

1. I do not believe that what Folau said was hate speech or indeed homophobic.  I think that he sincerely believes that he is helping gay people (among others) to see the error of their ways and find eternal salvation through redemption.

2. He has every right to post what he did on social media and everyone will decide if he is correct or not

I agree with you on these 2 points, and fair play. I do believe (as a Christian) he was careless and misinformed in his style of communication. 

1 minute ago, RMBJ said:

ISIS will chop your head off for just about any reason they like. They hate just about everyone. 

Mate, not just ISIS, Christians are persecuted globally in nations that don't hit mainstream news Im sorry to say. 

1 hour ago, Mushy said:

Crikey this thread has gone off on a tangent. Who’d have thought there was a game on when you lot were busy posting stuff? Personally I prefer watching the game rather than writing about former newsreaders. 

I agree.

The season has started and this is the Rugby League forum.

This subject more suited to AOB now.

Locking it here before anyone gets banned for breaking the forum T&Cs, which is inevitable the way these threads go if left to run on indefinitely.

• Like 1