Fri 31 Jan-Sun 2 Feb: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

5500 would have been an exceptional crowd for a game against an obscure British town. I would love to know if it was true.

Meanwhile Toulouse seem to have a better coach and a better team spirit than Catalans. Wake up Bernard!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

5500 would have been an exceptional crowd for a game against an obscure British town. I would love to know if it was true.

Meanwhile Toulouse seem to have a better coach and a better team spirit than Catalans. Wake up Bernard!

York is a major historical heritage city, not sure what you mean by obscure 

32 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

What’s an obscure town got to do with it? Anyway I expect that while it won’t be that well known, York will be among the best known places in the UK with a SL or Championship RL team. 

I only caught the last 15 minutes of this but the stream and game were both very good.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

The stadium "Ernest-Wallon" holds 19,000 and was populated on both sides. I don't know how many were there but it looked much bigger than the normal 1500 they get. A crowd of 1500 would give less that 8% occupancy? Seriously?

3200 official paying and more  than 500 invitation .. 

47 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The French commentator reckoned there were 3k+ ahead of kick off. They said there were a lot more in the main stand where the tv cameras were than the stand where the cameras faced

Think he said that there were a lot more in the main stand as well as the other stand,. Not as many as the Toronto game but a good number anyway, maybe some in from Toulousaine to see what the fuss was about. Chapeau to the York fans who managed the trip, not many but noisy enough. Good natured enough appart from the guy with the coronavirus chants...not funny fellah, drop that one from the repertoire.

The game was scrappy until TO went down to 12, it was the linesman who spotted it....The linesman FFS! One that woke up and did something...and he was french too. I think TO should play all their 2nd halves with 12, far more entertaining, if they can stop the stupid mistakes and penalties as per usual they should give broncos/fev/Leighton a good run for their money this season

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Jean/Steph Curry ... How`s the weather in Chorley?

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Also bigger than nearly all the towns and villages in the French Elite, including Perpignan. An odd comment, even by his standards.

5 hours ago, The Daddy said:

York is not obscure to the British. I mean obscure to the French. How many French people would recognise British cities apart from London, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Hull and Newcastle?

Maybe Wigan would also be recognised because of  its football team.

9 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Were you there?

Yes I was there and I'd be amazed if there were more there than a typical York home game.  More than they normally get but still about 1500 by my reckoning, though I've no idea about corporate boxes etc. Been to Toulouse several times and their reported crowd figures are always generous.  No matter though.  Good luck to them.  They were the better side. 

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

York is not obscure to the British. I mean obscure to the French. How many French people would recognise British cities apart from London, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Hull and Newcastle?

Hull? 

I doubt if Leeds or Newcastle would be well known in France, other than for football fans. Oxford and Cambridge would be much more famous, probably Dover and Portsmouth too. 

5 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

LOL. Pretty much all of them.

In any case, the activities of the duc de York and "l’alibi Pizza" have made it into the pages of Le Monde and Le Figaro quite a lot recently, let alone the French celeb mags. 

2 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

Yes I was there and I'd be amazed if there were more there than a typical York home game.  More than they normally get but still about 1500 by my reckoning, though I've no idea about corporate boxes etc. Been to Toulouse several times and their reported crowd figures are always generous.  No matter though.  Good luck to them.  They were the better side. 

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not sure why you’re being sarcastic, it was you that suggested Toulouse’s gates are influenced by whether Catalans are at home that day or not. 

Well it's a factor but I disregard it given small fanbase in France and there willing to travel

14 minutes ago, bromleybulldog said:

At 10-10 with only about 8 minutes to go, York had six tackles starting 10 metres from the Toulouse line and didn't once try for a drop goal. Would have completely changed the dynamic of the game if they had scored. Very poor game management.

Agree with that. Toulouse are an erratic side and York nudging ahead there could have set the panic button going for the home side.

Archived