Sun 2 Feb: SL: Toronto Wolfpack v Castleford Tigers KO 2.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toronto Wolfpack
    • Castleford Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/20 at 14:30

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, fevtom said:

It will certainly be interesting to see how they react to defeat after being used to winning for so long.

I expect this is where a good coach earns his keep.
He's definitely got something to work with.

Toronto trying too much when they look rusty, and losing possession far too much.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Cas 22-4 HT. We’re not in Kansas anymore, To(ron)to

follow the yellow brick road.

I certainly aren't writing Sonny Bill off based on this, but I think what we are seeing is that he has been out of the game for a long time and it isn't like riding a bike. The problem is Toronto have put a lot of eggs in his basket, and of he takes a couple of months to get up to speed that might not be good enough.

Just now, MZH said:

I certainly aren't writing Sonny Bill off based on this, but I think what we are seeing is that he has been out of the game for a long time and it isn't like riding a bike. The problem is Toronto have put a lot of eggs in his basket, and of he takes a couple of months to get up to speed that might not be good enough.

What eggs have they put in his basket. 

7 minutes ago, snapski said:

Think folk are forgetting we’ve been a top 5 side for years now. No disgrace in this Toronto performance. Some of you need to reign it in a bit over Toronto.

Yes and no. This is their first game in SL. I expected a massive performance from them. How many times do you see a promoted club win in week one? I don't have any figures but I reckon its more often than not. 

In normal circumstances that half wouldn't be any sort of surprise, but if they can't step up in week one then it doesn't bode well for later on in the season when the weekly grind starts to take its toll. 

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

What eggs have they put in his basket. 

Expensive ones. 

Money aside though he seems to be the talisman that they want to build everything around this year. If he turns out to be totally ineffective then it's a problem for them. What's plan b? 

I'm really enjoying this game.

Its pretty unstructured but it's two teams looking to take attacking chances and halfbacks running at the line and looking to create things.

Very good Rugby to watch.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, fevtom said:

It will certainly be interesting to see how they react to defeat after being used to winning for so long.

Four of the starting 13 played for Widnes in SL, another couple played for Leigh in SL. It's not like they aren't used to playing for losing teams. Three players making their first appearance for Toronto today too. 

1 minute ago, MZH said:

Expensive ones. 

Money aside though he seems to be the talisman that they want to build everything around this year. If he turns out to be totally ineffective then it's a problem for them. What's plan b? 

He’s going to take at least the first ten games to get up to speed and there’s a danger that at his age he still won’t get there. Toronto’s salary cap issues aren’t down to SBW as he will be a marquee player. It’s the fact they are clearly over paying some average players that’s the issue with their salary cap. 

Just now, bobbruce said:

He’s going to take at least the first ten games to get up to speed and there’s a danger that at his age he still won’t get there. Toronto’s salary cap issues aren’t down to SBW as he will be a marquee player. It’s the fact they are clearly over paying some average players that’s the issue with their salary cap. 

When I said about all the eggs I didn't really mean salary cap wise. I was talking about their whole approach. It's all been Sonny Bill this and Sonny Bill that. If he doesn't perform then where do they look to for a leader? 

3 minutes ago, MZH said:

When I said about all the eggs I didn't really mean salary cap wise. I was talking about their whole approach. It's all been Sonny Bill this and Sonny Bill that. If he doesn't perform then where do they look to for a leader? 

Fair enough but I think McDermott's interview before the game shows that they know he’s got a lot of work to do. 

13 minutes ago, MZH said:

Expensive ones. 

Golden eggs. Plan b is to ask for dispensation to have no salary cap applied to them at all so that Argyle can buy a whole new team. They are playing journeymen superstar wages. I 

Archived