Sat 1 Feb: SL: Catalans Dragons v Huddersfield Giants KO 5pm (UK Time)

Who will win?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/20 at 17:00

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a shocker of a defeat for Catalans. The squad they have now and squads they have had previously should not be getting hammered at home by teams who are frequently in the bottom half. But this has happened for years and looks like its continuing.

What is it about Catalans? Poor coaching, bad attitude from players or a culture of accepting failure? Possibly all three and more.

In fact, I recall posting this after a heavy Catalans defeat on the opening weekend of 2018 to Widnes. And little seems to have changed, save for a remarkable mid-2018 run.

12 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

That's a shocker of a defeat for Catalans. The squad they have now and squads they have had previously should not be getting hammered at home by teams who are frequently in the bottom half. But this has happened for years and looks like its continuing.

What is it about Catalans? Poor coaching, bad attitude from players or a culture of accepting failure? Possibly all three and more.

In fact, I recall posting this after a heavy Catalans defeat on the opening weekend of 2018 to Widnes. And little seems to have changed, save for a remarkable mid-2018 run.

I think you summed it up pretty well there, why Gausch is happy to accept such mediocrity season after season is the real puzzle. If he is the one who has the final say on their recruitment policy it may well be his sanity that should be called into question though asking that question of a man who's a dab hand with a Meat Cleaver isn't sensible either! Maybe he should take a few training sessions with a couple of said items to hand and see if that improves commitment and performance ?

27 minutes ago, JonNgog said:

why is McNamara still in a job? does anyone besides Guasch actually know?

He turned Catalans around from utterly mediocre form not so very long ago.

I hate to say it, but the club's recruitment policy seems very similar to that of the top French RU sides. A chairman chucking money at anyone who's been in the headlines and hoping that a mis-matched bunch of high-profile names will work better than a properly-assembled squad. It would also explain their dismissive attitude towards the French players compared to foreign signings.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

I think Cats will be a force in SL this season.

Every year they have a handy squad but their attitude is poor and they don't achieve half as much as they should. This year won't be any different. 

16 minutes ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Well done Giants,  Wasn't supposed to happen and  won't be anything to do with them playing well or anything, Great way to spoil Wally Wayoo's  night though

I think you have a good side. I can't remember if it was on here or rlfans but on one of the squad threads I remember commenting that you have a much stronger squad than people are giving you credit for. I can't see you being in any relegation bother. 

Archived