Sat 1 Feb: SL: Catalans Dragons v Huddersfield Giants KO 5pm (UK Time)

Who will win?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/20 at 17:00

You cannot take a talented but ill disciplined team and then add some even more talented but even more ill disciplined players and expect success.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Blimey, it’s only the first game! I’d still bet my last Euro on Catalans finishing above Huddersfield. 

Impeccable logic in identifying it was the first game. There are no over the top predictions from Hudds supporters on the thread and nobody has reacted like a kent to the win.

I'll take your euro, and match it with a pound.

31 minutes ago, MZH said:

I think you have a good side. I can't remember if it was on here or rlfans but on one of the squad threads I remember commenting that you have a much stronger squad than people are giving you credit for. I can't see you being in any relegation bother. 

cheers for that mate and i hope your right.  This season is the first for 3/4 years that we haven't  had 8/9 players out for the start of the season,  Last season was the worst i can remember we were still playing kids at the end of the season, the good news is they did well for us. I'm hopeful for this year, we have finally got a bit of aggression in the pack coinciding with a half decent pair of halves.

Not expecting to win the grand final you understand but it's not beyond us to get a trip to Wembley if we can have a bit better luck with injuries..

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

24 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You cannot take a talented but ill disciplined team and then add some even more talented but even more ill disciplined players and expect success.

Indeed, indiscipline has rectum on a number of occasions in recent seasons.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

He turned Catalans around from utterly mediocre form not so very long ago.

I hate to say it, but the club's recruitment policy seems very similar to that of the top French RU sides. A chairman chucking money at anyone who's been in the headlines and hoping that a mis-matched bunch of high-profile names will work better than a properly-assembled squad. It would also explain their dismissive attitude towards the French players compared to foreign signings.

when did he turn them around? the league record under McNamara has been consistently poor since he took over. one year of Challenge Cup success is the only thing propping him up.

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Bit early to describe them as under achievers, they’ve only lost one game. 

They under achieved last season. And the season before. And the season before. And there are no signs of anything changing.

51 minutes ago, winnyason said:

Yeah tomkins over gigot seems to be working hmmm

While Tomkins is no doubt a great player, I did feel at the time there would have been better choices for a high wadge long term signing, given Les Dracs had a very good full back already. 

A big money signing in the forwards might have been a better choice or an organising half back. 

Its a shame this season Gigot isn't at the Dragons. They miss something without him imo. 

2 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Well done Giants,  Wasn't supposed to happen and  won't be anything to do with them playing well or anything, Great way to spoil Wally Wayoo's  night though

Although I do generally want Shudds to lose, that specific comment was linked to a quote if you remember.  I will be cheering you on v Toronto btw.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 minute ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Although I do generally want Shudds to lose, that specific comment was linked to a quote if you remember.  I will be cheering you on v Toronto btw.

Very good.

Follow the man mountains.

2 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

While Tomkins is no doubt a great player, I did feel at the time there would have been better choices for a high wadge long term signing, given Les Dracs had a very good full back already. 

A big money signing in the forwards might have been a better choice or an organising half back. 

Its a shame this season Gigot isn't at the Dragons. They miss something without him imo. 

He is was the team the club president a idiot. So influential on last 4 seasons he won them a cc. Honestly wrong call. 

Is it me, but watching this team last season and by the look of it tonight only Sam Tomkins really gives a dam out if all those players for Cats?

Given that hes still also a top class player, who could get into just about any team in the NRL or SL I think Cats are very lucky to have him.

11 hours ago, JonNgog said:

when did he turn them around? the league record under McNamara has been consistently poor since he took over. one year of Challenge Cup success is the only thing propping him up.

Seems to me, when thinking of current SL coaches born in Hull, there's summat of a theme running here...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

The commitment was there for the catalans, but the attack is so predictable, he's trying to play an aussie style(roosters style with wingers making the hard yards then attacking when the opposing team is on the back foot) that he doesn't have the players for, the attack lifted briefly when kasiano came on as he sucked in defenders to open up the exteriors. The tries for hudersfield came from excellent kicks and a couple of bad decisions from the slow centre (à second row) and slow winger(a centre) 

Criticizing the the players commitment is harsh, the system doesn't go with the players and I have a feeling bosc as attack coach has been forced onto mc namara. 

3 minutes ago, barnyia said:

The commitment was there for the catalans, but the attack is so predictable, he's trying to play an aussie style(roosters style with wingers making the hard yards then attacking when the opposing team is on the back foot) that he doesn't have the players for, the attack lifted briefly when kasiano came on as he sucked in defenders to open up the exteriors. The tries for hudersfield came from excellent kicks and a couple of bad decisions from the slow centre (à second row) and slow winger(a centre) 

Criticizing the the players commitment is harsh, the system doesn't go with the players and I have a feeling bosc as attack coach has been forced onto mc namara. 

Thanks for the analysis. It makes sense. Given the predictability of their attack, they are going to have to do something differently to score more points, as that was a issue in quite a few games last year. 

Do you think more French Lads would help? 

I know it was an end of season game, however didn't 13 French men in the 17 away to Hull prefrom rather well at the end of last season? 

Archived