Thu 30 Jan: SL: Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/01/20 at 19:45

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kendall in the friendly went all out to lay down the law as per the new enforcements, so I expect the usual early season penalty-fest which won’t exactly be a great advert for the first game on TV.

Might help Warrington though; as the back end of last season suggested penalty kicks rather than free-flowing rugby suited our game ?

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Kendall in the friendly went all out to lay down the law as per the new enforcements, so I expect the usual early season penalty-fest which won’t exactly be a great advert for the first game on TV.

Might help Warrington though; as the back end of last season suggested penalty kicks rather than free-flowing rugby suited our game ?

We even took a penalty kick at goal in the pre-season game vs Salford Ffs :kolobok_biggrin:

Cracking way to start off the season! I probably won't be saying that after the annual four or five meetings though!

Interested to see how Wigan line up, is French at 1 and Hardaker at centre most likely? I suspect we might see a more expansive Wigan this year, as they do have the players this year who can play that way.

Warrington clearly have a great squad, but aren't that much stronger than last year when they had a shocking ending! I'd back Wigan to edge this one.

Looking forward to this but  I can't quite work out if this is for real or a Muhammad Ali style publicity stunt to sell a few more tickets https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/18190909.wigan-warrington-cancel-joint-press-conference/

One thing I would post is that all predictuions for this season are currently being made on the basis of last season. Sides have changed and whether or not teams gel remains to be seen.

On paper Wigan should win this with home advantage and Jackson Hastings now in the line up - presumably on the basis of if you can't beat them buy them . Against a Warrington side shorn of marquee signing Gareth Widdop winding down his career in Super League. The favoured option for all NRL players at the end of their career.

But I am going to go againist the grain here and I see Blake Austin's Warrington triumphing. IMO Warrington are a big game side more suited for a sprint than a marathon which is why they will be there or therabouts in both cup and league at the end of the season. I think Warrington will make the early running in the game and their away following, which will be louder than the home crowd, will roar them onto a win. Anthony Gelling will be happy along with Josh Charnley - point proved..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Should be an acid test of where Wigan are. No excuses for Lam now - he has the team he wants and has had plenty of time to shape them to put in place his plans. For Warrington, they have a really good squad, who will be even better when Widdop gets fit. They are top 3 material and a known quantity. I have now idea who will win as Lam’s ability as a coach is yet to be determined, whereas we know what we will get from the Wire. I hope it’s a classic, as these often were before we were all worn down by over familiarity.

18 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Warrington clearly have a great squad, but aren't that much stronger than last year when they had a shocking ending! I'd back Wigan to edge this one.

Yeah, this is the bit that worries me about Wire. Despite the Cup win, it has to go down as a really poor season based on the number of wins we picked up in the early season. It was worrying how bad we became and the team couldn't turn it around. 

But where have we improved? A new halfback, if it clicks there we could be great, but he ain't playing tomorrow. A new centre, great, but Goodwin was one of the best anyway. 

But 3 of the 6 new signings are likely to be squad players, and that could be 4 depending on Latu. So there is a lot of dependence on Widdopp changing our performances. I also have some hope that Currie can get back to anything like his best, and BMM hitting top form. 

I hope I am wrong, and I suspect my fatigue from the end of the SL season is still there. 

2 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

I expect Wigan to start as they mean to go on, Wire are obviously a good side and will be a handfull for any side this season, I just think Wigan are going to be the team that Saints were last year, A great match to start the season.

Surely the GF winners should open tbe season?

Archived