Thu 30 Jan: SL: Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/01/20 at 19:45

Not too bothered by that performance given it's the first game of the season. Wigan have a habit of not really giving the first team players much game time in pre-season and I think it showed. I also think Wigan will have a different pack to that once the season got going. He clearly rewarded Partington, Smithies and Byrne for their performances last year and, as the best prop in pre-season, Ethan Havard was rewarded with a place, but Flower, Bullock and Clark will be in that pack pretty soon. I think Lam is trying to ensure the forwards fight for their place. It could have backfired tonight as Wire looked a bit stronger in the pack for me. We did deal well with Clark.

It's often difficult to play against teams who go a man short. The backs to the wall mentality helps, but referees also tend to give teams who are short a bit more leniency, it leads to the other team getting penalised more and it levels the playing field.

I'd have hoped the margin would have been wider, but realistically one of the Wire tries was simply down to having Burgess on the field when he clearly wasn't anywhere near fit enough to be playing. It took about 5 seconds to work out he was unfit but for some reason Lam kept him on the field, even after being easily brushed off by Blake Austin, and he cost us a try. The reserves were brought back for a reason. We've got plenty of competition for places in the pack and Joe Bullock should have been selected instead.

So overall, some real positives for Wire to take out of the game. Wigan get the win which is the most important thing - clearly have some areas to work on but a shaky start was always expected and selecting Burgess really didn't help us.

Kendall reffed the game well. Sending Hill off was correct. There was nothing malicious in it whatsoever but it was a bad tackle. It also seems he's one of the few people who actually knows the charge down rule.

It's good to have Super League back!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I'd have hoped the margin would have been wider, but realistically one of the Wire tries was simply down to having Burgess on the field when he clearly wasn't anywhere near fit enough to be playing.

It was actually Warrington's only try.

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Nothing worse than getting put on your backside in that manner. I usually do it if I don't get low enough against shorter fatties

Go on, I dare you to call BMM a short fatty to his face ?

25 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Am I the only one who thinks he looks pale... Has his hair got darker? 

Looks like he's turning into a vampire

Very dark hair on the Sky "Inside Super League" interview last night. Almost black, but a lot of the colours on that show were fashionably de-saturated. He did say he'd been doing some acting, so maybe it is for a part.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think Warrington take more out of that game than Wigan do. I haven't watched it on the TV yet, but from being in the ground it felt like Wigan were the team hanging on even when Wire were down to 11 men.

I'm certainly not convinced by the Tommy & Hastings combination, but that could have been affected by losing Powell so early.

I wouldn't expect to be seeing Burgess back any time soon. It's a bit of an inside joke at the club that that the best mate George has made since arriving is the physio.

Pretty clear to me that Wire would have won that game if they hadn't gone down to 12. Daft shot from Hill, but he has become more prone to that sort of rubbish in the last couple of years.

Having read through this thread, it's also nice to see that DKW has retained his ongoing love of Wigan. I await his usual denial of any bias.

Good game to start the season, and I'm sure both clubs will improve from this showing.

50 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The age old injury, bruised pride. 

A hip injury and so no work in pre season and then the same injured inside 20 mins

He should not have been selected and so with Powell stretched off 2 players not able to be available for interchanged.  Andy Pandy would be more professional. I'm not impressed.

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

A hip injury and so no work in pre season and then the same injured inside 20 mins

He should not have been selected and so with Powell stretched off 2 players not able to be available for interchanged.  Andy Pandy would be more professional. I'm not impressed.

There is also the issue of Smithies versus Lockers.

Do you choose a 37 year old player, or a guy who, last season, looked like he could develop into one of the best we have seen for a long time?

I think the roles should have been reversed. Smithies is deserving of being first choice, and Lockers should be used as interchange when needed.

17 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I'm certainly not convinced by the Tommy & Hastings combination, but that could have been affected by losing Powell so early.

I wouldn't expect to be seeing Burgess back any time soon. It's a bit of an inside joke at the club that that the best mate George has made since arriving is the physio.

A lot of rubbish talked up by the local optimistic press about Burgess.  He must be at least  a month away from playing. This is extremely disapointing. If he has a hip problem we will get little out of him this season. 

The half backs are a work in progress.  I like Hastings, but he has still to fit in. 6,7 and 9 have got a lot of work to do.  That's before we get to our middles.  

But it's only the first game. But it's 1 game that does not count to Lam keeping his job next season.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

A lot of rubbish talked up by the local optimistic press about Burgess.  He must be at least  a month away from playing. This is extremely disapointing. If he has a hip problem we will get little out of him this season. 

The half backs are a work in progress.  I like Hastings, but he has still to fit in. 6,7 and 9 have got a lot of work to do.  That's before we get to our middles.  

But it's only the first game. But it's 1 game that does not count to Lam keeping his job next season.

I'm trying to be optimistic about George, but I honestly don't think we are going to get much out of him.

The guy is obviously nowhere near being fit, and it is going to take a hell of a lot of work to get him to the required level.

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Burrell looked fitter than I ever saw him at Franklin Gardens.... Don't think he did much though 

Enjoyed watching him roll away from the ruck after completing a tackle, on his back, hands up looking at the ref... then suddenly remembering to get up to mark..... Old habits die hard

It puts a huge question mark on anybody thinking about bringing in high rated RU players.  Less known but better suited players might fit in though!

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

It puts a huge question mark on anybody thinking about bringing in high rated RU players.  Less known but better suited players might fit in though!

Get 'em young, before they have developed deplorable habits - which is what RL should have done with Burrell.

And he'd have been cheaper that way too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Jim Prendle said:

I'm trying to be optimistic about George, but I honestly don't think we are going to get much out of him.

The guy is obviously nowhere near being fit, and it is going to take a hell of a lot of work to get him to the required level.

I'll take your local knowledge on board and then ask... why on earth was he selected.   Not least it hardly helps the player, because it's not his fault he is injured.  If (if... ) he has had a long term injury then his agent have covered it up well.

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

I'll take your local knowledge on board and then ask... why on earth was he selected.   Not least it hardly helps the player, because it's not his fault he is injured.  If (if... ) he has had a long term injury then his agent have covered it up well.

I have no idea mate. I've seen him knocking around quite a bit, and he just isn't giving off any positive vibes.

If I was picking the team, he wouldn't have been in it tonight. 

4 hours ago, Wollongong said:

One more observation why are Wigan not penalised for feeding the scrum with one hand... the rules are clear on this

Put-in or Feeding the Scrum 6. (a) The ball shall be put into the scrum from the Referee’s side by holding it in a horizontal position with a point in each hand and rolling it along the ground into the tunnel formed by the opposing front row forwards.

That was a funny starter. Plenty of what we've been missing  during the dark off season of the soul and really the sending offs were the difference. The wolves deserved a bit more from that one and I think 13 v 13 would've seen them win.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived