Who's Excited?

Been a long, long off season, but there is loads to look forward to. And some genuine uncertainty.

How will Toronto go? Can Salford back up? A genuinely competitive Championship with at least 6 or 7 clubs with realistic hopes of going up. 

Ditto League One.

Whats more we have 3, yes 3 full RU internationals playing in SL this season (Burrell, Folau and SBW). All 3 of them were genuine contenders for RU World Cup places with countries who thought they had a chance of winning it, this time last year.

Been a long time since we even had one of them in the NH game.

So, yes, I am excited! Be Thursday night already...

It’s certainly been a long time since rugby league has made so many headlines in the off-season (mostly for the right reasons)!

There’s still too much mediocrity at the bottom end of Super League for my money but the quality of imports to Super League is very high this year, arguably never higher.

I think Saints will be extremely difficult to overcome but equally the top five is extremely difficult to call with any certainty. 

Really looking forward to the coming season.With Falau and Williams playing it has to add  some excitement to the game .Both had a very good grounding in League and learnt their basic skills there.Not sure about Burrell, just another RU hack who will have to prove himself in a more skillful game.

May seem strange coming from a Saints fan but I hope the title race is a lot closer this season, with the contenders improving rather than us getting worse. Hopefully the relegation battle is as close as last year though, that was superb. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

May seem strange coming from a Saints fan but I hope the title race is a lot closer this season, with the contenders improving rather than us getting worse. Hopefully the relegation battle is as close as last year though, that was superb. 

That's definitely it - Saints were incredible last year but in truth they were champions elect from April due to how dire some of the other 'big sides' performed. I still believe Saints are the best team in SL but you'd hope a few sides will push them a lot closer this year. 

On 28/01/2020 at 15:58, dixiedean said:

Been a long, long off season, but there is loads to look forward to. And some genuine uncertainty.

How will Toronto go? Can Salford back up? A genuinely competitive Championship with at least 6 or 7 clubs with realistic hopes of going up. 

Ditto League One.

Whats more we have 3, yes 3 full RU internationals playing in SL this season (Burrell, Folau and SBW). All 3 of them were genuine contenders for RU World Cup places with countries who thought they had a chance of winning it, this time last year.

Been a long time since we even had one of them in the NH game.

So, yes, I am excited! Be Thursday night already...

Eh? I probably had more chance of making the England RUWC squad last year than Burrell did by virtue of the fact that Eddie Jones has never seen me play!

Burrell is a dud I'm afraid. 

2 hours ago, RMBJ said:

Eh? I probably had more chance of making the England RUWC squad last year than Burrell did by virtue of the fact that Eddie Jones has never seen me play!

Burrell is a dud I'm afraid. 

Well, not long 'til we find out (if he's playing tonight). Apparently he's lost a lot of weight and had intensive coaching for the positional problems he had when he first joined Warrington. This is the season for him to prove himself, not 2019.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Well, not long 'til we find out (if he's playing tonight). Apparently he's lost a lot of weight and had intensive coaching for the positional problems he had when he first joined Warrington. This is the season for him to prove himself, not 2019.

His main problem is a lack of dog. Not sure weightwatchers and a compass will sort that.

Really looking forward to this year, some class players brought in by the big boys and a lot of unpredictability.

How will the Toronto fairytale do in SL?  How fast can SBW get up to speed?

Were Salford really Hastings RLFC or can they remain competitive now he's gone?

Are Wigan and Warringtons huge signings enough to close the gap to saints?

Will Hull make an impression on the top order for once?

Can Luke Gale resurrect the Rhinos?

Can Wakey make the 5 if they ever get their first team out of the infirmary?

I am looking forward to the year as far as the game as a whole is concerned. Things do feel more positive than a year ago and there is much to look forward too (in fact its already started with the CC).

I'm less optimistic about my team's chances this year. I think we will struggle although L1 should be an interesting league.

I am going to be heading up north to watch some Super League games live this season, which I am looking forward too. 

18 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Some great fixtures to start the season,just hope with the new play the ball rule the games are not penalty ridden but are allowed to flow.

Is it too much to ask clubs have built in some off-season play-the-ball drills to make sure their players stay within the laws?

Archived