Now the SL season is about to start, I wondered how refs wold fare on here. I suspect they'll be treated to the usual respect. So, what about this 's idea, shamelessly stolen from That Peter Crouch  Podcast 

Instead of chanting "The referee’s a w.####r, fans should chant "The referee’s doing an excellent job under testing circumstances. " ?

Wait, there's more! The suggestion is for neutral fans to wear refs kit, not their own teams colours! ?

Why are there no SL quality Canadian refs yet???. It's an outrage. They've had three years to get this sorted out. Never mind the "putting rugby balls in kids' hands" mantra.... we need a string of Canadian whistleblowers now !!!!

Oops sorry...wrong thread  ?

On a serious note though....no ref equals no game. Very few are willing to put themselves in the firing line. Obviously some love the limelight and have the skin of a rhinoceros but you've got to admire those that choose this path, even if they occasionally drop some absolute clangers. 

Showing displeasure at the ref and claiming they are biased are part and parcel of being a spectator. What isn't acceptable is when a line is crossed and that turns into pure hatred and vitriol. It's only a game after all.

10 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The abuse referees get at all levels in the game is disgusting.

If only people took as much of an exception to that as they do to homophobic comments on social media.

A player who criticises a ref on social media, or in post match comments, will find himself up before the beak.

Similarly, a coach.

I agree more needs to be done to respect the ref etc but to suggest that there's free rein to speak out about them is untrue.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The amount of times I get into arguments with fans of my own team over refs is ridiculous - people still act like every single ref is out to get their team. I remember a game last year against Huddersfield when it was the 'most offside try of all time' and so on and so on. When they were presented with video/photographic evidence after the game that showed the decision was bang on, not a word was spoken.

Yes the referees are not consistently great but there are a few good ones and with the amount of abuse they get how can we expect to attract new referees to push them to get better?

46 minutes ago, LR23 said:

The amount of times I get into arguments with fans of my own team over refs is ridiculous - people still act like every single ref is out to get their team. I remember a game last year against Huddersfield when it was the 'most offside try of all time' and so on and so on. When they were presented with video/photographic evidence after the game that showed the decision was bang on, not a word was spoken.

Yes the referees are not consistently great but there are a few good ones and with the amount of abuse they get how can we expect to attract new referees to push them to get better?

Haha yep I've been there. Half the time the fans shouting don't even know the rules themselves. Wish I had a quid for every time I've had to explain the impact of momentum on the direction of a pass.

@JohnM

? "You're not fit to referee" >>> "We're not fit to comment on decisions" ?

? "You don't know what you're doing" >>> "We don't know half the rules" ?

? "Six points, to the referee" >>> "Cudos, to the referee" ?

Roll on tomorrow night... ?

Archived