'Two Years that will shape rugby league'.

cookey

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

Ah well, who cares about their sizeable and loyal fan bases then. 

I think it would need to be something like MoK says though but TO aren’t exactly growing in anything but small incremental stages, despite being on the door of a massive entity.

Even if we threw Cas and Wakey into the mix we don’t have enough ‘Super’ Clubs.  Cas are maxed out with capacity and could really do with a new ground.  How it would work I don’t know.  That area is chaos for crowds and traffic now.  

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I think it would need to be something like MoK says though but TO aren’t exactly growing in anything but small incremental stages, despite being on the door of a massive entity.

Even if we threw Cas and Wakey into the mix we don’t have enough ‘Super’ Clubs.  Cas are maxed out with capacity and could really do with a new ground.  How it would work I don’t know.  That area is chaos for crowds and traffic now.  

Have you been to many premier league or championship football grounds? The vast majority of them are far far bigger than any SL club and traffic around most is horrendous - it’s hardly a criteria for entry into a league. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Have you been to many premier league or championship football grounds? The vast majority of them are far far bigger than any SL club and traffic around most is horrendous - it’s hardly a criteria for entry into a league. 

It might just influence planners regarding the new stadium proposal.  The queues are out onto both sides of the M62 and what with the recent incidents involving smart motorways this also will be factored in.  

23 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Rugby League's eternal problem - everyone loves the idea - Provided their club is in the ring-fenced league.

This is a kite-flying exercise, what sometimes happens is that when an idea develops it is leaked out in broad terms to journalists who then publish the outline and in doing so test public reaction to the plan.

Sadly I am coming to the view that something drastic is going to have to happen and having a private venture company involved provides sufficient cover for the powers that be in rugby league to engage in the social darwinism amongst the lower clubs that they feel is required.

There would not be more than two maximum foreign clubs in the top flight, though by creating Super League 1 and Super League 2 with P&R between the two you create enough space with a 20 club league, including Toulouse in the 2nd tier, that when push comes to shove the votes will be there to achieve change.

Put it this way, outside the top flight only Bradford, Newcastle and London are running reserve teams with other clubs reliant on dual registration players to ensure they are competitive. This is not going to last and although as with Super League, there is a split between top 6 and bottom 6 in the Championship in respect of can you afford to be full time professional or not and the crunch is now coming fior many clubs in and out of Super League reliant on TV funding.

Wherther this will be good or bad for the game in the long run depends on where your club ends up. One thing though is for sure if such action is taken Rugby League as a sport will survive as I cannot see a young player brought up at Wigan St Pats refusing to join a Super League club in a fit of pique because certain clubs have been excluded from the new set up as is expounded on message boards.

I can also predict some busy nights for the webmaster once the plans break for real...

I guess you missed the news that Bradford will be relying on DR players from Hull to be 'competitive'? 

18 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I guess you missed the news that Bradford will be relying on DR players from Hull to be 'competitive'? 

I certainly did and it's dissapointing that they are doing so but still runnng a reserve side when mjost others are not.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 29/01/2020 at 13:36, YCKonstantine said:

What?

Murdoch's Foxtel / Sky Super League came 25 years too soon. Would the real Super League please stand up. 

If something credible and genuinely super was implemented with decent funding set aside for Championship, NSW Cup & Queensland Cup. Then an end to P&R would be accepted by heartland powerhouses Bradford, Widnes, Leigh, Featherstone & Halifax etc.

On 29/01/2020 at 10:16, Man of Kent said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51290285

Private equity and restructure is going to come, I feel.

Woods suggests seven heartland clubs but I would start with only five: St Helens, Leeds, Wigan, Warrington and Hull FC.

Add Toronto, New York, London, Catalans and Toulouse and you could have a first-rate Super League with international appeal (and with room to expand).

Other clubs like Hull KR, Cas, Wakey, Huddersfield, Salford, Bradford etc would play in a highly competitive ‘Super League 2’, which would be part of the TV deal. This would be my strategy, anyway.

You missed Ottawa. I think TWP & the Game in Canada needs Ottawa. In the same way Catalans & the Game in France needs Toulouse.

19 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Murdoch's Foxtel / Sky Super League came 25 years too soon. Would the real Super League please stand up. 

If something credible and genuinely super was implemented with decent funding set aside for Championship, NSW Cup & Queensland Cup. Then an end to P&R would be accepted by heartland powerhouses Bradford, Widnes, Leigh, Featherstone & Halifax etc.

If super league is to become super why should it have to take money it gets for non super league clubs ?

Why wouldn't they keep the money to become more super 

The problem with p and r is a club like Wakefield as an example.  Good luck to them for never being relegated but other than that they offer little to rugby league.  If they were replaced by Leigh Widnes Fev it wouldn't change anything either.

English rugby lesgue has to stop pretending it's like soccer and adopt a system which works for a small sport with some crucial expansion clubs 

Toornto toulose les.catalans London and Ottowa If they replicate Toronto all should be exempt from relegation if the system is retained 

Clubs outside super league should be allowed to be parachuted in without winning the championship 

If a club like wakey gets replaced with Leigh or something similar in the name of p.and r it's ok.  But if leS cats get relegated for a Leigh or a Widnes that's just daft 

10 hours ago, aj1908 said:

The problem with p and r is a club like Wakefield as an example.  Good luck to them for never being relegated but other than that they offer little to rugby league.  If they were replaced by Leigh Widnes Fev it wouldn't change anything either.

English rugby lesgue has to stop pretending it's like soccer and adopt a system which works for a small sport with some crucial expansion clubs 

Toornto toulose les.catalans London and Ottowa If they replicate Toronto all should be exempt from relegation if the system is retained 

Clubs outside super league should be allowed to be parachuted in without winning the championship 

If a club like wakey gets replaced with Leigh or something similar in the name of p.and r it's ok.  But if leS cats get relegated for a Leigh or a Widnes that's just daft 

This is essentially the same argument that says there are too many clubs in Sydney for a captive market and some of the Sydney clubs should either relocate or merge in order to free up space in the NRL for expansion clubs.

I assume you are ok with that as well?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This is essentially the same argument that says there are too many clubs in Sydney for a captive market and some of the Shdney clubs should either relocate or merge in order to free up space in the NRL for expansion clubs.

I assume you are ok with that as well?

Nah lol 

I actually think Sydney could handle more clubs 

But the nrl isn't short of money is it? It's also already a massive sport which gets saturation media coverage 

And the nrl doesn't have p and r

They would never allow the Broncos to get replaced by Newtown 

And the worst Sydney club would still be one of the biggest super league clubs 

But if you want you can have Cronulla they are ###### 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure. Part of me thinks Ottawa should be a feeder club (ie a club that produces Canadian players) for Toronto. 

Excellent.

Managed to slam both of them in one post and still look like you aren't 

I'm taking notes 

On 30/01/2020 at 11:33, EastLondonMike said:

Ideal situation for me would be a SL without P+R but with teams able to apply to join SL at anytime, providing they meet certain criteria. Clubs that want to succeed and prosper will always be able to become a part of SL.

Agree 100%

10 hours ago, aj1908 said:

If super league is to become super why should it have to take money it gets for non super league clubs ?

Why wouldn't they keep the money to become more super 

Every true 'Super' League has a miriad of feeder & development leagues. 

For many many good reasons. 

On 05/02/2020 at 11:03, aj1908 said:

So, from the seven decent candidates, how should we choose which twelve teams get a place?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Is there anything unfair with the next best 5?

Or maybe 5 strategic areas

People get hung up on the process but but I'm not really sure that any franchised sport like the NFL or NRL.or NBA have that sort of set process

The point is the process is not the issue.

If there are not enough big clubs, that nonsense does not matter.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 05/02/2020 at 10:12, Man of Kent said:

Not sure. Part of me thinks Ottawa should be a feeder club (ie a club that produces Canadian players) for Toronto. 

It's only part of you so that's ok ?

I'm not sure Ottawa will come to fruition at this point TBH.  It's gone rather quiet. Either something big is coming (calm before the storm) or its fizzling out.

Great city though, and Les belle province is just across the river for when/if TO or Les Drags come visit

13 hours ago, Bob8 said:

So, from the seven decent candidates, how should we choose which twelve teams get a place?

let me choose.  i couldnt do a worse job than the rfl did last time with licensing.

first rule, any club starting with w is kicked out of SL (*)

(*) except wigan 

(*) except warrington

any club starting with L isnt allowed in SL (*)

(*) except leeds

how am i going?

13 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Geographically?

Part of the problem is that there are too many heartland teams packed into too small an area. The strongest - the ones with the best financial backing, best facilities, on-field success, least objectionable owner etc. - stay up. The others go down. Some of these will undoubtedly die but they have been on life support for a long time. Others might thrive under less financial stress..

Some of their fans will abandon the game. They'd rather support a team that yearly struggles to avoid relegation from SL than regularly competes for the championship in a lower league.

The true fan of the game and not just a team will switch their allegiance to the local team that represents their area in a much stronger SL that stretches across the northern hemisphere. 

1 minute ago, TIWIT said:

Geographically?

Part of the problem is that there are too many heartland teams packed into too small an area. The strongest - the ones with the best financial backing, best facilities, on-field success, least objectionable owner etc. - stay up. The others go down. Some of these will undoubtedly die but they have been on life support for a long time. Others might thrive under less financial stress..

Some of their fans will abandon the game. They'd rather support a team that yearly struggles to avoid relegation from SL than regularly competes for the championship in a lower league.

The true fan of the game and not just a team will switch their allegiance to the local team that represents their area in a much stronger SL that stretches across the northern hemisphere. 

they had a franchising thing before ie no P&R it wasnt very succesful.

clubs were ranked on loads of criteria including geography, crowds, new ground.

a club like Hull KR would be kicked out on geography but in terms of where super league is at they are a fairly decent club.

leigh, as much as it pains me, also are a similar decent SL club.

league in england will always have loads of clubs near each other, that cant change.

21 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

let me choose.  i couldnt do a worse job than the rfl did last time with licensing.

first rule, any club starting with w is kicked out of SL (*)

(*) except wigan 

(*) except warrington

any club starting with L isnt allowed in SL (*)

(*) except leeds

how am i going?

London.

And while there's a lot of emotional support for Bradford they're a financial basket case playing out of a money pit. They'd have to get that all sorted and prove themselves stable for at least 5 years before being considered.

And no propping up the weak sisters. A club in financial difficulties of any sort has 1 year to sort them out before they're gone.

8 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

they had a franchising thing before ie no P&R it wasnt very succesful.

clubs were ranked on loads of criteria including geography, crowds, new ground.

a club like Hull KR would be kicked out on geography but in terms of where super league is at they are a fairly decent club.

leigh, as much as it pains me, also are a similar decent SL club.

league in england will always have loads of clubs near each other, that cant change.

True. But they don't all have to be in the same league. And they can still have their derbies in the various Cup competions that will be even more intense as the lesser team aims to knock off the higher.

Archived