'Two Years that will shape rugby league'.

cookey

11 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

London.

And while there's a lot of emotional support for Bradford they're a financial basket case playing out of a money pit. They'd have to get that all sorted and prove themselves stable for at least 5 years before being considered.

And no propping up the weak sisters. A club in financial difficulties of any sort has 1 year to sort them out before they're gone.

ooops i knew i would forget a club i wanted in there.  

on bradford its down to a decent owner.  not sure wood is it.  koucash would be excellent.  they can get 10k crowds easy and they would add loads to other games in yorkshire when they travel.

around 2000 bradford were the best club in english rugby league winning multiple WCC.  

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

True. But they don't all have to be in the same league. And they can still have their derbies in the various Cup competions that will be even more intense as the lesser team aims to knock off the higher.

i cant see super league ever being big enough to leave Hull KR out (not as they are today with crowds, finances and the ground)

remember its only 12 clubs and there arent that many potential expansion teams.  if the TV deals take off they could always go to 20 teams over time.

3 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Geographically?

Part of the problem is that there are too many heartland teams packed into too small an area. The strongest - the ones with the best financial backing, best facilities, on-field success, least objectionable owner etc. - stay up. The others go down. Some of these will undoubtedly die but they have been on life support for a long time. Others might thrive under less financial stress..

Some of their fans will abandon the game. They'd rather support a team that yearly struggles to avoid relegation from SL than regularly competes for the championship in a lower league.

The true fan of the game and not just a team will switch their allegiance to the local team that represents their area in a much stronger SL that stretches across the northern hemisphere. 

If we have 12 places and seven decent candidates, the problem is not the method of selection but the lack of decent candidates.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I agree the process doesnt really matter.

So if we go for the 5 next best  5 strategic areas a mix of both.

We could go with the big 7, leeds, wire, hull, wigan, saints, les Catalans, toronto, and say everybody else give us your best pitch.

We dont even need a 100% success rate. If we go with those 7 and Cas, HKR, Salford, Wakefield and Hudds as the clubs that are already in, and in 2-3years time we have london, nyc, ottawa and bradford banging on the door we can look at either expanding or replacing teams.

Why couldn't the answer be the 5 (or more or less) clubs we think have the best chance of growing the game

Again, that is another method of selection.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

29 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

If we have 12 places and seven decent candidates, the problem is not the method of selection but the lack of decent candidates.

Yeah, you might have to set the bar so low it pretty much negates the whole purpose of doing it in the first place.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Not really. It can be many methods.

That's the point I'm making, the method of selecting doesnt matter, it doesnt even matter if we have one beyond do what we think best at that time.

You are starting from a point that says if we have 12 in the league we must select 12 of sufficient quality.

I'm saying if the process is 'pick the 12 you think are best' it doesnt matter if we only have 7 and doesnt really matter if you are wrong because you can swap them out or add to the league  

Indeed.

Every selection will seem horribly unfair. After all, the last five clubs are pretty much selected by happen chance, which means that those not included would reasonably seem aggrievied. This latter point is at least addressed by P&R.

The major issue is getting another five big clubs.

23 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Precisely.  And to realize Brian Noble's goal of being able to compete with RU and the NRL for players like back in the day (as he stated in the Destination Super League documentary) 10-12 good candidates are needed, not just decent candidates.

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Precisely.  And to realize Brian Noble's goal of being able to compete with RU and the NRL for players like back in the day (as he stated in the Destination Super League documentary) 10-12 good candidates are needed, not just decent candidates.

To be fair super league only was able to compete with the nrl because the Australian dollar was so low and our tv deals were terrible 

I don't think competing with the nrl is realistic.  Even though it's not managed the best the nrl is still.cashed up to the max 

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

To be fair super league only was able to compete with the nrl because the Australian dollar was so low and our tv deals were terrible 

I don't think competing with the nrl is realistic.  Even though it's not managed the best the nrl is still.cashed up to the max 

Indeed.

But, playing a strict national league is increasingly stupid.

I do think Toronto being very far from Europe is a drawback, and I think many reasonable people would agree. But, I think there is too much respect for national borders when it comes to considering the sport.

4 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Of course it's not realistic within the current English RL structure, far more money would be required money than the maximum which could possibly be generated within that structure.

On 29/01/2020 at 10:16, Man of Kent said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51290285

Private equity and restructure is going to come, I feel.

Woods suggests seven heartland clubs but I would start with only five: St Helens, Leeds, Wigan, Warrington and Hull FC.

Add Toronto, New York, London, Catalans and Toulouse and you could have a first-rate Super League with international appeal (and with room to expand).

Other clubs like Hull KR, Cas, Wakey, Huddersfield, Salford, Bradford etc would play in a highly competitive ‘Super League 2’, which would be part of the TV deal. This would be my strategy, anyway.

Mate I'm a Bronco but the idea of KR/Wakey/Cas getting booted out for us makes no sense

I'll be in Ealing tommorow afternoon and there will be a 1000 of us home fans at best. 

I do however like the idea of us in a Super League 2 and a money injection to grow again

Change will come I have no doubt about that.

I think sadly we will see a huge number of clubs either die or become amateur and many of those will be the Championship and Championship 1 clubs.

My prediction is we will see a Super League”Elite”Division and a Super League”Championship”division of 10 clubs in each division.Who will make the final cut we do not yet know but I expect that there will be a lot of casualties in our game.

15 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I think sadly we will see a huge number of clubs either die or become amateur and many of those will be the Championship and Championship 1 clubs.

My prediction is we will see a Super League”Elite”Division and a Super League”Championship”division of 10 clubs in each division.Who will make the final cut we do not yet know but I expect that there will be a lot of casualties in our game.

I think this is the wrong way to go... i just don't understand everybody wanting to send clubs down or not invite clubs in...its silly and a bit like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

No one needs to go down from SL next year...bring the two teams from Championship up and then we have 14 teams which will allow us to get rid of the loop fixtures (?).  The the next year back to P and R.  The regulations do need a bad update though (more fair for all), the cap needs to be increased...as for the style of dress for some of the women folk over there....well....just watch how the Toronto gals dress ladies....imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I think this is the wrong way to go... i just don't understand everybody wanting to send clubs down or not invite clubs in...its silly and a bit like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

No one needs to go down from SL next year...bring the two teams from Championship up and then we have 14 teams which will allow us to get rid of the loop fixtures (?).  The the next year back to P and R.  The regulations do need a bad update though (more fair for all), the cap needs to be increased...as for the style of dress for some of the women folk over there....well....just watch how the Toronto gals dress ladies....imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I understand what you say.

But us fans will have none or very little say.

It will be the money men and women who will decide what they want and what will happen.And if they want a two division system of 10 full time clubs in each one then that is what will happen.

As to whom out of the existing 37 or so clubs will make the final cut into 20 we do not yet know.

But out of them all only the strongest will survive.

And in my personal opinion I do not think that the open,Frank and blunt discussions that need to happen,and happen now,(well they should have taken place some time back ie the end of 2018 season)have STILL not happened.Maybe it is because chairmen are frightened of having to deliver bad and possibly devastating news to fans,and have their heads very firmly in the sand hoping that nothing happens and things will blow over and carry on as normal and everything is Funky Dory(A Rachel Stevens album)in the Rose garden.

And it sure as hell is not.And within the next year and a half you watch the excrement hit the fan.

19 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

What a boring league that will be with just 10 teams. 

5 hours ago, muckymunksy said:

I personally am no fan of potentially 2 divisions of 10 centrally funded clubs.

But ultimately it will come down to money,and what offers there may be on the table.

And by all accounts it has been suggested that whoever is the broadcast partner,the money on offer will be less,a lot less potentially than now.And if that happens as I think most suspect it will,then the Super League clubs will take that money especially as Super League now run the game.

I wish that the discussions that need to happen start happening now in public.

Archived