Storm and Tigers Player Swap for Season - Done Deal!

The Wests Tigers and Melbourne Storm are on the verge of agreeing to the first loan deal in the NRL’s history, with youngsters Paul Momirovski and Harry Grant set to swap clubs for the upcoming season while their 2020 wages are paid by their current sides.

According to NRL.com, Momirovski will depart for Melbourne within the coming days to aid the Storm’s plea for a boost to their outside back options, while returning to the Tigers come season’s end.

While the Tigers are hoping to lock down a contract extension with Momirovski past 2020, they will look to send him south while still paying his wage for the year and in return will see Grant arrive to Concord as the Storm continue to pay his wages for the season.

The deal is being closely surveyed by the NRL, but both Melbourne and Wests are hoping to have the players trade places within the next week.

Well that sounds okay to me.

I like Momirovski a lot.

Think I'll have to bring him into my Supercoach squad now.

• 2 weeks later...

or will it happen?

Things went quiet on this for a couple of weeks and now...

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy is unsure if the proposed swap with the Wests Tigers for centre Paul Momirovski will go ahead.

Melbourne will be looking to swap young hooker Harry Grant in any sort of swap deal, but Bellamy is unsure if it will happen.

With the Storm lacking depth in the outside back department and the Tigers lacking options at dummy-half, both clubs had arranged to trade the players for this season before both returned to their respective clubs in 2021.

Both the Storm and Tigers must discontinue both players’ current deals before both can be signed to one-year deals with their new team.

The Rugby League Players Association are all for this new unique deal by both clubs, but Bellamy said he isn’t sure where the deal is at, at the moment.

https://www.zerotackle.com/tigers-storm-player-swap-in-doubt-52087/

So after the quiet spell we now know what the reason was.

Storm's calculation of their salary cap room was a bit out.

It seems that if this deal went ahead they would be $15,000 over their limit.

Tigers apparently need to know whether the swap will go ahead by next Monday or Tuesday so that if not they can make adjustments to their plans - they say that if no swap Moses MBye will have to start training at hooker. Mbye has spent some time in at dummy-half over the summer but if the Grant deal’s off, he’s the Tigers No. 9 for round one.

No, it’s off.

The NRL won’t sanction the move as it would mean Storm overspending on their $9.8m salary cap by $16,000.

So despite the clubs and players wanting the swap to go ahead it can’t.

Tigers are looking at going ahead with signing Grant on anyway. They have room in their salary cap.

• 2 weeks later...

The media have had Harry asking for a release from Storm so Tigers could sign him. That's been the news for the last few days.

However despite these reports/rumours he has said that he is willing to step in for Storm in the first four to six weeks while Brandon Smith is out through injury. if that is so then he would be in the mix to earn the No.14 shirt.

Grant:

"Brandon is more of a middle unit player with the role he plays, but I will put my hand up if Bellsa (Craig Bellamy) is looking for a smaller forward off the bench."

"I will tell him I can play the middle and do the tough stuff for him. I did it a little bit in the juniors, so I haven’t done it for a while, but I will give it a crack."

His focus has now turned to what he can provide the Storm this campaign.

"I have got to look after the Storm," Grant said.

"I don’t want to be selfish and leave when they are looking for a back-up hooker with Brandon out."

Of course it all now depends on how Craig Bellamy sees it.

It's always a difficult one for Coach's and Management with regards to upcoming talent and keeping them onboard  and happy despite limited 1st team opportunities. Still at least Storm are looking to plug the gap re replacement wingers for next season https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-melbourne-storm-jake-wardle-bulldogs-ardie-savea-warriors-roosters/7a686f8c-afcf-4bec-a536-60854ceb2f2e

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

Apparently:

... the passing of the March 1 deadline has given the Storm more wiggle room in their cap, allowing the clubs to re-enter talks.

The Tigers remained keen on acquiring Grant at some stage this season despite the swap with Momirovski getting torpedoed.

The Storm would be unlikely to release Grant at this stage, but and he and Momirovski remain keen on making the swap ahead of the new season.

maybe

maybe it'll happen after he possibly stands in for Brandon Smith in the opening rounds of the season?

• Graham changed the title to Storm and Tigers Player Swap for Season - Done Deal!

Archived