RL Publicity Hugely Important

RayCee

RL largely flies below the radar in the UK. Surely not in 2020.

A team from NA for the first time. I didn’t think it was possible.

SBW and I Folau signed up from RU, This is creating publicity beyond the usual boundaries. Surely it will put derrières on seats too.

Prince Harry and the WC draw, taking a non event for 99% of the world's population up a notch or two.

The game is getting exposure you can’t buy. This and a great season of RL bodes well for the next round of media bidding for broadcasting rights. This could be the most important season since the introduction of SL. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

On 30/01/2020 at 05:17, RayCee said:

RL largely flies below the radar in the UK. Surely not in 2020.

A team from NA for the first time. I didn’t think it was possible.

SBW and I Folau signed up from RU, This is creating publicity beyond the usual boundaries. Surely it will put derrières on seats too.

Prince Harry and the WC draw, taking a non event for 99% of the world's population up a notch or two.

The game is getting exposure you can’t buy. This and a great season of RL bodes well for the next round of media bidding for broadcasting rights. This could be the most important season since the introduction of SL. 

Positive publicity is the key

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

Within reason, isn't any publicity going to elicit more awareness?

It's the right sort of awareness that's important. After all, Prince Andrew has been in the news recently and I'm not sure it's doing him much good. The "there's no such thing as bad publicity" idea is the sort of Max Clifford BS that was never really true, and should have died a long time ago. 

I think it's important to remember that publicity isn't just going to happen and it isn't something that the clubs can expect the media or certain clubs to do for them. We've already seen comments from certain club owners asking "what has <insert club here> done for us yet?", as if <insert club here> owes them a living. We see similar comments like "why isn't the BBC / Sky promoting us?" and again, it's not up to the BBC or Sky to do that. 

We've had a really good start, but it's day one. There's a lot of time until the end of a season and a lot of media attention that is out there to be earned. 

5 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

It's the right sort of awareness that's important. After all, Prince Andrew has been in the news recently and I'm not sure it's doing him much good. The "there's no such thing as bad publicity" idea is the sort of Max Clifford BS that was never really true, and should have died a long time ago. 

I think it's important to remember that publicity isn't just going to happen and it isn't something that the clubs can expect the media or certain clubs to do for them. We've already seen comments from certain club owners asking "what has <insert club here> done for us yet?", as if <insert club here> owes them a living. We see similar comments like "why isn't the BBC / Sky promoting us?" and again, it's not up to the BBC or Sky to do that. 

We've had a really good start, but it's day one. There's a lot of time until the end of a season and a lot of media attention that is out there to be earned. 

I agree that there is publicity that’s unwelcome and hurtful. However, in a sport like RL in the UK that is largely ignored, some of the recent publicity is amazing and hopefully translates into better crowds, more column inches in the media and a broadcast deal that keeps the sport financially sound.

A woman with great big knockers running on the pitch topless will get shedloads of publicity. Erica Rowe is still famous. 

Have a word with wives and girlfriends and ask her to do her duty.

Flat-chested fuglies need not apply.

Looking at The Twitter account of the writer of the newspaper article,it seems Hull KR have been instrumental in this abhorrence.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/31/super-league-clubs-endorse-legal-action-warning-catalans-dragons-israel-folau-sponsorship?CMP=share_btn_tw

Now I care little for politics,but I don't think Brexit,this very night,means the end of the Human Rights Act.

I care even less for solicitors,sorry if a firm of solicitors sponsor any clubs,but a firm of solicitors ran by the owner of Hull KR has a Human Rights solicitor currently acting in a very unusual case.

This is seriously bad publicity.How can it be? Does Super League NOT have a legal department? Could they not converse with people involved with the RFL?

https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/human-rights/what-are-human-rights/human-rights-act/article-9-freedom-religion-or-belief

Can these Super League clubs just allow the players to play the sport - and generate some money themselves?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

23 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Looking at The Twitter account of the writer of the newspaper article,it seems Hull KR have been instrumental in this abhorrence.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/31/super-league-clubs-endorse-legal-action-warning-catalans-dragons-israel-folau-sponsorship?CMP=share_btn_tw

Now I care little for politics,but I don't think Brexit,this very night,means the end of the Human Rights Act.

I care even less for solicitors,sorry if a firm of solicitors sponsor any clubs,but a firm of solicitors ran by the owner of Hull KR has a Human Rights solicitor currently acting in a very unusual case.

This is seriously bad publicity.How can it be? Does Super League NOT have a legal department? Could they not converse with people involved with the RFL?

https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/human-rights/what-are-human-rights/human-rights-act/article-9-freedom-religion-or-belief

Can these Super League clubs just allow the players to play the sport - and generate some money themselves?

The whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Some SL club owners need to grow up and show some initiaitve themselves as you say AC.

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

I agree that there is publicity that’s unwelcome and hurtful. However, in a sport like RL in the UK that is largely ignored, some of the recent publicity is amazing and hopefully translates into better crowds, more column inches in the media and a broadcast deal that keeps the sport financially sound.

I take issue with the assertion that the sport is ignored. 

The sport doesn't do enough to make itself noticed. It doesn't create the sort of stories that people, and by extension news editors, care about.  

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Thats a joke. No sponsor of any club will withdarw their cash just because Catalans sign Folau

The risk is solely on Catalans who will suffer badly if he repeats his comments. The other clubs will not lose a penny and if anything sell a few extra tickets when he comes to town

Perhaps the other clubs are just jealous that they did not take a punt

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I take issue with the assertion that the sport is ignored. 

The sport doesn't do enough to make itself noticed. It doesn't create the sort of stories that people, and by extension news editors, care about.  

I agree with that, I don't think the two points are mutually exclusive.

The thing is some events have happened to make news editors take notice of the game and then certain clubs start talking about suing another club. The self destruct button is always there within RL,  just in case it starts to progress. 

When the only way an individual could consume information or news was a few terrestrial tv channels and print media, I think the sport had a legitimate complaint about a la lack of coverage.  Not least because the editors and commissioners of these outlets came from a demographic or targeted a demographic that was unlikely to be favorable to Rugby League. 

But the world has changed. With social media and streaming services access to the consumer is only limited by the capabilities and imagination of the broadcaster. 

I think our sport has been very slow to take advantage of the new era but that is slowly changing and if we do get this right we could really see a step change in awareness for our sport.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Sensible from Tony Adams in todays Guardian...

Adams is connected to another sport, as president of the Rugby Football League. The signing of Israel Folau by Catalans Dragons this week has provoked a significant backlash because of homophobic comments the Australian made on social media last year, but Adams declines to offer an opinion.

“I don’t really want to go there to be honest with you,” he says. “I have been told not to get into it and I don’t know enough about it. I know a little of Keegan Hirst’s story [the only current out gay rugby league player in Britain] and I like him a lot.”

He explains that his one-year role is aimed at cementing the relationship between the RFL and Sporting Chance and helping player welfare more broadly. “It’s a not-paid, to the disgust of my wife, honorary position, and I’m not going to get involved commenting on stuff.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/31/tony-adams-alcohol-gave-me-good-hiding-i-needed-pain-sporting-chance-arsenal

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

14 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

We may be getting left behind other minority sports.

Whatever happened to getting rugby league in The Olympics?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2020/01/29/new-streaming-site-minority-sports-launched-tokyo-2020/

For me that article says the opposite.

It says minority sports have seen a perceived decline in television coverage in the post-Grandstand era. Yet we have 4 live games of Rugby League this week to enjoy.

They list sports such as rowing, cycling, ice hockey, field hockey, canoeing, taekwondo and amateur boxing. And I would say these sports don't get nearly as much coverage as us.... maybe with the exception of cycling with their big events.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

When the only way an individual could consume information or news was a few terrestrial tv channels and print media, I think the sport had a legitimate complaint about a la lack of coverage.  Not least because the editors and commissioners of these outlets came from a demographic or targeted a demographic that was unlikely to be favorable to Rugby League. 

But the world has changed. With social media and streaming services access to the consumer is only limited by the capabilities and imagination of the broadcaster. 

I think our sport has been very slow to take advantage of the new era but that is slowly changing and if we do get this right we could really see a step change in awareness for our sport.

I disagree - club and test RL was regularly televised on BBC1 on Saturday Grandstand when there were only 3 channels available. 10m+ viewers was not unusual. RU club matches got an hour of highlights and talking heads on Sunday afternoon after Ski Sunday plus the 5 Nations internationals. I don't know what the total hours output per year was, but if I had to guess I reckon RL got more TV coverage than RU back in the 70s and 80s. 

9 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

I disagree - club and test RL was regularly televised on BBC1 on Saturday Grandstand when there were only 3 channels available. 10m+ viewers was not unusual. RU club matches got an hour of highlights and talking heads on Sunday afternoon after Ski Sunday plus the 5 Nations internationals. I don't know what the total hours output per year was, but if I had to guess I reckon RL got more TV coverage than RU back in the 70s and 80s. 

That could certainly have been the case. Maybe I should have been clearer. I was referring to the media coverage and not the actual broadcasting of the sport itself.

Just now, Dunbar said:

That could certainly have been the case. Maybe I should have been clearer. I was referring to the media coverage and not the actual broadcasting of the sport itself.

When the only way an individual could consume information or news was a few terrestrial tv channels and print media, I think the sport had a legitimate complaint about a la lack of coverage. 

Seemed clear to me. 

RL actually had a number of huge advantages to grow in the 70s and 80s. Football was not anything like the financial behmoth it is now, the quality was mostly poor, stadiums were terrible, pitches abysmal and hooliganism was driving fans away. RU was also still amateur and it was easy to simply pick off their best talent without any real competiton. It was a golden age for RL with few real excuses. 

2 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Seemed clear to me

So you agree I was referring to media coverage and not the actual broadcasting of games then?

Anyway, on reflection, it's pretty clear I was referring to media coverage and not broadcasting of the games as...

1. how can a newspaper (which I explicitly mentioned) actually broadcast a game?

And 

2. The title of the thread and therefore the context of my point must have been about notice or attention given to the game by the media (the dictionary definition of 'publicity') rather than the actual broadcasting of games.

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So you agree I was referring to media coverage and not the actual broadcasting of games then?

Anyway, on reflection, it's pretty clear I was referring to media coverage and not broadcasting of the games as...

1. how can a newspaper (which I explicitly mentioned) actually broadcast a game?

And 

2. The title of the thread and therefore the context of my point must have been about notice or attention given to the game by the media (the dictionary definition of 'publicity') rather than the actual broadcasting of games.

You specifically mentioned 'terrestial tv channels'. If you were just referring to Ceefax then perhaps you have a point.

50 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

I disagree - club and test RL was regularly televised on BBC1 on Saturday Grandstand when there were only 3 channels available. 10m+ viewers was not unusual.

Source for your viewer figures please.

And does anyone have any actual figures for how many games of Rugby League the BBC showed in the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s? Because I suspect it was less than people would have us believe.

1 minute ago, RMBJ said:

You specifically mentioned 'terrestial tv channels'. If you were just referring to Ceefax then perhaps you have a point.

You may have missed it but for the last 80 or 90 years or so terrestrial tv has had a programme called 'the news'. It covers the news.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Source for your viewer figures please.

And does anyone have any actual figures for how many games of Rugby League the BBC showed in the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s? Because I suspect it was less than people would have us believe.

Well I was around in the 70s and 80s and I watched Grandstand - as many did as there was nothing else. 

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

You may have missed it but for the last 80 or 90 years or so terrestrial tv has had a programme called 'the news'. It covers the news.

You said terrestial TV channels. 

You also appear to think short news reports of RL count as better publicity than the actual live broadcast of a match!

Archived