Workington Town v West Bowling

WTRLFC WEBSITE

9 hours ago, town4me said:

The answer is having something in place to keep young promising players in west Cumbria  to develop.  Easier said than done but only that can counter the need to pay silly money to try and get a higher standard of player to travel up to WC.

Barrow seem to be running a good youth system with the help of the amateur clubs and coach's in the Barrow area, and after 3/4 years it has shown that it was worth the effort, they now have some of these youngsters stepping up to the first team. 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, JMB said:

Barrow seem to be running a good youth system with the help of the amateur clubs and coach's in the Barrow area, and after 3/4 years it has shown that it was worth the effort, they now have some of these youngsters stepping up to the first team. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but is Barrow youth system not just Furness College rugby team? 

8 hours ago, Town utd said:

Rugby league need to invest in A teams again,let the local amateur clubs look after the youth ,then when ready pro clubs sign lads on when they have developed through the open age league.

But SL clubs would still pick them up from amateur level before they get to the A team. A west cumbrian academy would be better. Not cheap and not easy but it would be better long term than having  to chuck daft money at out of county players to take a club to the next level. 

11 hours ago, Callum Linford 98 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but is Barrow youth system not just Furness College rugby team? 

Yes  created by cresta and Barrow rlfc

3 hours ago, town4me said:

But SL clubs would still pick them up from amateur level before they get to the A team. A west cumbrian academy would be better. Not cheap and not easy but it would be better long term than having  to chuck daft money at out of county players to take a club to the next level. 

Id be more worried by  Newcastle than Superleague clubs,they are building a strong looking youth system with several young West Cumbrian lads signed up already.

The last Cumbrian academy lasted 2 or 3 years before the RL pulled its backing,not sure where the money would come from to run another one even if the RL granted it a licence to join.

13 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Id be more worried by  Newcastle than Superleague clubs,they are building a strong looking youth system with several young West Cumbrian lads signed up already.

The last Cumbrian academy lasted 2 or 3 years before the RL pulled its backing,not sure where the money would come from to run another one even if the RL granted it a licence to join.

Didn't the rl give the lakes academy to widnes or something stupid? 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Didn't the rl give the lakes academy to widnes or something stupid? 

They did as they were the only team willing to take over the running of the academy.

Widnes are a good example though. They could run one team and be spending more money on ready made stars but instead have chosen to run an academy which has a great reputation and now a reserve team.

Which is the best business model to create a sustainable club?

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

Brings up the question (again) of sustainability, Newcastle have spent in the region £800k setting up their scholarship and academy structures, they have a wealthy owner who supports the club financially , Town and Haven can only dream unless someone can bankroll the clubs.

1 hour ago, snoopdog said:

Brings up the question (again) of sustainability, Newcastle have spent in the region £800k setting up their scholarship and academy structures, they have a wealthy owner who supports the club financially , Town and Haven can only dream unless someone can bankroll the clubs.

But that's not a season and that includes the extra improvements to the training facilitys they have done, and Barrow haven't invested that in setting up there youth set up, but the bigger issue would be both Town and Haven getting the trust of the local amature clubs, it would be fantastic if it could happen, 

Thunder have a super league set up, my son was at Wigan then signed for Newcastle, there set up is 10x better than Wigan’s and that’s through out the whole club, only thing letting them down is there a league 1 club, there ambition is to be a super league team by 2030 and there backer has said he will support them and falcons, Cumbria need a massive sponsor to obtain anything near there’s, the the only way it will happen if there is a Cumbrian team IMO.

I still believe an A team at ever pro an semi pro level is the key.let youth development be at the amateur clubs who turn out players year after year,let them come through the open age level then when ready sign pro,but let the pro  clubs support the amateur clubs with coaching and letting the juniors from the clubs come to games for free?

13 minutes ago, Town utd said:

I still believe an A team at ever pro an semi pro level is the key.let youth development be at the amateur clubs who turn out players year after year,let them come through the open age level then when ready sign pro,but let the pro  clubs support the amateur clubs with coaching and letting the juniors from the clubs come to games for free?

Without funding from the rfl can we afford one? It's not cheap running a reserve team. 

7 minutes ago, Town utd said:

That is a fantastic statement and so true, but neither local semi pro clubs look to support the local amateur clubs, what a shame.

Unfortunately JMB that isn't true. 

We put out an open invite for all clubs to take part in 'Town takeover days' and we had over 500 kids play on the pitch in 2019. 

Maryport, Seaton, Distington, Lowca, Cockermouth, Broughton/Cockermouth junior section, West Cumbria Girls all enjoyed free entry and days at the club. 

We understand that we have to help inspire youngsters to play and want to play professionally or to their own full potential , if they fall short they will hopefully stock up the amateur clubs and keep producing strong sides. 

We had Stevie Scholey coaching at Maryport, Tom Curwen, Carl Forber and Caine Barnes all coached at Seaton, Distington had two coaches invited to do video analysis with Chris, we held a Seaton Rangers ARLFC festival too. 

Presentation night for Aspatria junior section saw Carl and Tom attend that. 

Jamie Doran handed out awards at Kells and St Benedicts RUFC. 

That invite is open for 2020, although with the weather and temperatures it isn't ideal for youngsters at the moment so we're just holding back for an improvement. 

Millom ARLFC have been invited as part of the connection developed when trialling then signing Hanley Dawson and Mathew Johnson our conditioner is providing a weights programme for their U16s. 

Anyone interested in working with the club please contact myself on 

graemepeerstownrlfc@gmail.com 

We welcome all initiatives and ideas. 

Thank you 

Graeme 

Director 

Workington Town RLFC 

3 hours ago, WTRLFC WEBSITE said:

Unfortunately JMB that isn't true. 

We put out an open invite for all clubs to take part in 'Town takeover days' and we had over 500 kids play on the pitch in 2019. 

Maryport, Seaton, Distington, Lowca, Cockermouth, Broughton/Cockermouth junior section, West Cumbria Girls all enjoyed free entry and days at the club. 

We understand that we have to help inspire youngsters to play and want to play professionally or to their own full potential , if they fall short they will hopefully stock up the amateur clubs and keep producing strong sides. 

We had Stevie Scholey coaching at Maryport, Tom Curwen, Carl Forber and Caine Barnes all coached at Seaton, Distington had two coaches invited to do video analysis with Chris, we held a Seaton Rangers ARLFC festival too. 

Presentation night for Aspatria junior section saw Carl and Tom attend that. 

Jamie Doran handed out awards at Kells and St Benedicts RUFC. 

That invite is open for 2020, although with the weather and temperatures it isn't ideal for youngsters at the moment so we're just holding back for an improvement. 

Millom ARLFC have been invited as part of the connection developed when trialling then signing Hanley Dawson and Mathew Johnson our conditioner is providing a weights programme for their U16s. 

Anyone interested in working with the club please contact myself on 

graemepeerstownrlfc@gmail.com 

We welcome all initiatives and ideas. 

Thank you 

Graeme 

Director 

Workington Town RLFC 

Wath Brows must have been lost in the post then graeme

5 hours ago, JMB said:

Wath Brows must have been lost in the post then graeme

It was an open invite that went out on our social media via a link to our website and those parties mentioned all emailed back and it proceeded from there. 

It was also in the Times and Star. 

My email is graemepeerstownrlfc@gmail.com 

Please drop me an email and let's see how we can work together from here. 

Regards

Graeme 

54 minutes ago, havenhater said:

The amateurs have been named on here a few times and was in the league Express so would expect that too be the case but it's this third one what's possibly exciting.

Hope it is the young aussies half back tbh 

It must be a ball ache that the express are reporting on players the club have 'signed' before the club even announce it. 

Hopefully a prop, back row and a HB. Really interesting reading Chris' article in the Times and Star yesterday about the journey the club are on. Anyone who has the ourleague app he's on the League one season preview at 55 minutes. 

Archived