New stadium

TIWIT

Steve Simmons in today's Sun (Jan 30) writes that according to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Arthur Blank, owner of the Atlanta Falcons/Atlanta FC (and Home Depot) the only thing preventing the NFL from moving into Toronto is the lack of a suitable stadium.

Simmons theorizes that with the World Cup coming here in 2026 the inadequacies of BMO Field will be exposed to the world, making the city look bad. So why not seriously consider building a proper stadium now for the NFL and soccer (he dismisses the Argos as irrelevant) much like Tottenham Hotspur's.

That would leave BMO as a perfect home for TWP. And the Argonauts should they still be around but I suspect MLSE would dump them immediately if they could get in on an NFL deal. Maybe even the Arrows should they outgrow Lamport. 

BMO would certainly solve the current weather situation, while replacing it with others - snow, freezing rain, -10 - but hey, RL fans thrive on lousy weather.

It's all pretty much a pipe-dream but doesn't everything start out that way?

If we could somehow cover BMO field that'd be great but the place is pretty soul-less compared to the cosy confines of Lamport with all the pubs n restaurants right around. 

BMO isn't bad, I've enjoyed myself at Argos games when it's about half full.  But if you're used to it packed out for TFC, or Lamport packed for TWP, it would definitely lack compared to that. Nowhere near as bad as say Forge FC with 5k in THF- that feels empty.

But is seriously doubt NFL comes to TO. 

Don't need NFL and all the BS rattmattaz that comes with American sports. Forge our own identity and that means RL as it is part of our heritage. Just my two cents worth.

3 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Don't need NFL and all the BS rattmattaz that comes with American sports. Forge our own identity and that means RL as it is part of our heritage. Just my two cents worth.

Even NA sport is moving away from big stadiums.  CFL teams are building stadiums that seat 20-25k with the possibility to expand if required.  

Ottawa and Montreal both have great little stadiums that seat around 25k.  

19 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

BMO is too big for Club Rugby.  There isn't a Rugby Club in the world that draws that many fans to require a stadium that big.

Tbh - 15-20k is about the right size.  It keeps it nice and intimate.

The Brisbane Broncos usually average around 30,000 each home game.

On 31/01/2020 at 15:39, CanadianRugger said:

Even NA sport is moving away from big stadiums.  CFL teams are building stadiums that seat 20-25k with the possibility to expand if required.  

Ottawa and Montreal both have great little stadiums that seat around 25k.  

A World Cup stadium would probably be around 70000, which is also minimum capacity for the NFL. Rogers Centre is out as far as football/soccer/rugby. Plus its sightlines suck for those. BMO Field is 30000 and then there's 10000 Lamport. That's it. The former is possibly too big for TWP but who knows. If a sport catches on 30000 is achievable. Back in their heyday the Argos drew 50000. Last year their paid crowds were under 10000.

As for finding an NFL team, the Bills are making noises about a new stadium or else. 

• 1 month later...
On 30/01/2020 at 19:41, TIWIT said:

Steve Simmons in today's Sun (Jan 30) writes that according to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Arthur Blank, owner of the Atlanta Falcons/Atlanta FC (and Home Depot) the only thing preventing the NFL from moving into Toronto is the lack of a suitable stadium.

Simmons theorizes that with the World Cup coming here in 2026 the inadequacies of BMO Field will be exposed to the world, making the city look bad. So why not seriously consider building a proper stadium now for the NFL and soccer (he dismisses the Argos as irrelevant) much like Tottenham Hotspur's.

That would leave BMO as a perfect home for TWP. And the Argonauts should they still be around but I suspect MLSE would dump them immediately if they could get in on an NFL deal. Maybe even the Arrows should they outgrow Lamport. 

BMO would certainly solve the current weather situation, while replacing it with others - snow, freezing rain, -10 - but hey, RL fans thrive on lousy weather.

It's all pretty much a pipe-dream but doesn't everything start out that way?

The only way a Nfl size stadium gets build is if its 100% private money and with what has gone on with MLSE/Rogers i don't see them willing to spend billions out of there own pockets for a stadium.

On 31/01/2020 at 17:20, Copa said:

The Brisbane Broncos usually average around 30,000 each home game.

Yet the NRL average is a little over 16,000.  Like I said, Club Rugby isn't a big draw attendance wise.

Archived