Play the ball with the foot - a petition

Now the first round of fixtures has been played and it is clear the publicised "interpretations" that were supposed to clean up of the play-of-ball aren't really delivering what people expected, I've decided to be proactive on this hi and start up a petition that I hope you will join me in signing. My aim from this is simple: to demonstrate to the RFL that there is enough discontent among spectators and fans with the current refereeing of the play of the ball and push for the ball to be played with the foot at every play of the ball. No grey "as long as they made an attempt", players either put on a foot on the ball or they get penalised - whether that be by way of a penalty or a scrum as their current interpretation suggests.

Thanks in advance if you choose to support me on this and sign my petition.

http://chng.it/SkCtYBwH

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you suspicious about?

I've never posted before because I'm not someone that likes to actively post on social media or discussion forums like this. However, this is something I feel really strongly about and have been thinking to do for a number of seasons. I have chosen to do it now because of the fact that the RFL publicised that they were going to do something and then haven't. Given the majority of the responses to this either on this forum or others have been disappointed I felt now would be a good time to do it and that I would have some support.

No.

Note - it never makes sense to say in the same text that you have given up watching the game but then be 100% sure of what currently happens in it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

30 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

No.

Note - it never makes sense to say in the same text that you have given up watching the game but then be 100% sure of what currently happens in it.

Alright 99% of UK if you want to be precise. Every season I will watch about five minutes of a Super League game before I turn off or turn over to something.

I do however watch a lot of the NRL matches on Sky given they did go back to generally playing the ball correctly.

I really don’t understand why there is much distrust and negativity towards this? If you don’t agree with me and the play of the ball as is doesn’t bother you then fair enough that’s your prerogative. I don’t, I want to see change and so rather than sit and get angry about it I thought I would be proactive and try to do something that maybe will get things changed. If I don’t so be it. At least I tried.

52 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Are 'play-of-the-balls' the same as 'play-the-balls' in RL? 

Just askin'! 

I mean the play of the ball in rugby league...

I’ve renamed the title of the thread in case people are thinking this is a joke.

The PTB this weekend were definitely more stable than last year’s ones although the foot wasn’t used so is this what the RFL & coaches wanted with the new guidance?

There seemed to be more penalties/ knock ons given for incorrect PTBs

If they go down the zero tolerance route how many fans would be prepared to accept the subsequent penalty fest?

Would hope that wouldn’t be the case. I guess you would think the players would wise up pretty quickly and play the call correctly and not give away penalties or scrums, so turning over possession.

They have done it in the NRL and it didn’t result in huge numbers of penalties based on what I saw at the time. Most players just got on with it and made sure they got their foot on the ball.

Also if you think back to when the play of the ball laws were being properly enforced, how many times a match did you see penalties being given for incorrect play of the ball? I don’t remember it happening that often.

I don’t really understand why things have been let to get into this position. Just my opinion but don’t see it has added to or improved the game.

It's a hard one - I would prefer players to actually use the foot, this whole new rule of "making an effort" just makes another decision come down to the ref's interpretation of what has happened.

Seen on all TV matches this week that various players have still not corrected their play the ball to even look like making an effort - some have been penalised, more haven't been. Mostly the ones that have been penalised are for the players that decide to fall over at the PTB rather than trying to stay on their feet - That is a good change.

But I still feel like it would be better to move back to the direction of actually touching the ball with the players foot.

26 minutes ago, Luobo82 said:

Sorry, not quite sure what your point is?

The term, in common use is ''play the ball'' the verb and/or ''the play the ball'' the noun. Not play of the ball! 

That's the point and because you don't know that, or get-it after so many hints, makes people suspicious that you are a RaRa in sheeps clothing. 

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

The term, in common use is ''play the ball'' the verb and/or ''the play the ball'' the noun. Not play of the ball! 

That's the point and because you don't know that, or get-it after so many hints, makes people suspicious that you are a RaRa in sheeps clothing. 

Ah apologies! No I am a serious league fan and I can’t stand Union. Without wishing to get into drafting up a CV of my previous rugby league involvement, I did use to play for a few years down at South London Storm at the same time RP London and Number16, who are regulars on here.

They can both vouch for me!

If its any consolation, I agree with you but feel lethargic regarding the petition.

What the game needs is concise, completely explicit, objective, unambiguous rules that leave no room for ''interpretation''.

And the play the ball is one example of where it couldn't be simpler, to satisfy those criteria. 

Putting the current rules aside for a mo, whats wrong with rolling the ball back or stepping over, why does the foot have to touch the ball in principle? 

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

22 minutes ago, jannerboyuk said:

Putting the current rules aside for a mo, whats wrong with rolling the ball back or stepping over, why does the foot have to touch the ball in principle? 

T'was ever thus. (I don't want to get into why or whether its necessary, that's a whole new argument). Your question is a reasonable one though. By the way, did you know the Crusaders (Bridgend) players were employed as Development officers on Sport England money? 

32 minutes ago, jannerboyuk said:

I would guess that the reason for having the foot touch the ball is that is a clear marker for when the defending team can move off their line.

Archived