Luke Thompson

The Australian side of the story is here... https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/04/thompson-leaving-st-helens-to-beef-up-bulldogs-pack/

A quote from McManus

"We are absolutely sure that he will be absolutely sure that he will be absolutely committed to the club and his teammates for the rest of this season.

“There’s no hiding from the fact that this is a bitter disappointment to all of us as Luke has been connected to the club since the age of 11 and has developed into an absolute top player at 24 years old".

One thing I am absolutely sure of is that McManus needs a thesaurus.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

OK, but who has come back?

Its not just the English players. We bring in 10 times more Southern Hemisphere players than go the other way.

Super League players moved to NRL in 2020 - George Williams, Trent Merrin. So the one English player.

NRL players moved to Super League in 2020 - George Burgess, Gareth Widdop, Manu Ma'u, Aiden Sezer, James Maloney, Liga Sau, Sosaia Feki, James Gavet, Mahe Fanua, Matt Prior,  Shaun Kenny Dowall. Others as well.

Yeah, some of those players aren't going to set the world alight but there all top level player for super league. Widdop, Sezer, Maloney could all potentially contend for Man of Steel. What has come in is miles better than what's gone out.

2 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Its not just the English players. We bring in 10 times more Southern Hemisphere players than go the other way.

Super League players moved to NRL in 2020 - George Williams, Trent Merrin. So the one English player.

NRL players moved to Super League in 2020 - George Burgess, Gareth Widdop, Manu Ma'u, Aiden Sezer, James Maloney, Liga Sau, Sosaia Feki, James Gavet, Mahe Fanua, Matt Prior,  Shaun Kenny Dowall. Others as well.

Yeah, some of those players aren't going to set the world alight but there all top level player for super league. Widdop, Sezer, Maloney could all potentially contend for Man of Steel. What has come in is miles better than what's gone out.

Yep, I think the net result is a stronger Super League this year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think clubs are allowed two marque players this season.  We (Saints) definitely have one, in James Roby, but whether we have two I don't know.  However, I doubt Thompson would have stayed regardless of the cash offered to him.  He's young and as far as I'm aware doesn't have children or other ties to the UK.  So it's more likely he's chosen down under for the experience rather than the money per se (although obviously the money will be nice!).  

I think it's unfortunate that Saints have now lost two extremely good props to the NRL just as those props are entering the peak periods of their careers.  I am very disappointed in Thompson as well as in losing Thompson.  He's been with the club since he was 11 years old and the club has invested a lot in him.  He could have given the club a couple more years at his peak before buzzing off.

I hope he doesn't fail but just now I don't feel particularly partial to wishing him luck either.  I'm just too narked about his decision at present.

9 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I think clubs are allowed two marque players this season.  We (Saints) definitely have one, in James Roby, but whether we have two I don't know.  However, I doubt Thompson would have stayed regardless of the cash offered to him.  He's young and as far as I'm aware doesn't have children or other ties to the UK.  So it's more likely he's chosen down under for the experience rather than the money per se (although obviously the money will be nice!).  

I think it's unfortunate that Saints have now lost two extremely good props to the NRL just as those props are entering the peak periods of their careers.  I am very disappointed in Thompson as well as in losing Thompson.  He's been with the club since he was 11 years old and the club has invested a lot in him.  He could have given the club a couple more years at his peak before buzzing off.

I hope he doesn't fail but just now I don't feel particularly partial to wishing him luck either.  I'm just too narked about his decision at present.

What a bitter take on the whole situation. Saints got as much out him as he got out them - he owes them nothing. 

10 hours ago, Saintslass said:

This is poor. Really really poor.

I'm astonished that people have this mentality. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

10 hours ago, AB90 said:

Yeh the loss/gain has been a good outcome for Super League this year, especially with SBW & Folau thrown in as well.

Some of those NRL players are still in their prime and whilst Widdop, Burgess, Maloney etc may be past their peak they still have a good few years left in them.

10 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I personally have pride watching players who I class 'one of our own' playing at a higher level and never begrudge them doing so. It happens in many forms as well. 

Morgan Knowles is from Barrow and Im pretty every person from the town is proud watching him play for Saints. 

When John Bateman/Elliot Whitehead ect play for Canberra I class them as one of our own as its an SL product trying their arm and get excited when they do well. 

If aren't proud of someone coming through your academy, give everything for your club and win trophies and then go on to test himself in the NRL and don't get excited for him and the prospect of watching him I think you have a sad outlook on things. 

24 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I’m sure Saints would have promised him marquee money and as others have said his family is apparently very wealthy.

Hes gone because it’s a better league and Sydney has a marginally better way of life than st helens.

He will do very well out there.

Marginally better than st Helens? Please !

55 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Is this guy good ?

What's his average stats per game 

Dunno if dogs are the best club to go too

Canberra roosters storm would be my choices 

How much did he get? At least 500k pa is normal.

He's very good and at 24 will only get better. Will chew up 150m+ go forward and finds his feet for PTB very quickly - absolute machine in defence. As others have said, he's not quite the ball player Graham is/was but I don't think that's what the Dogs wanted him for. 

9 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

He's very good and at 24 will only get better. Will chew up 150m+ go forward and finds his feet for PTB very quickly - absolute machine in defence. As others have said, he's not quite the ball player Graham is/was but I don't think that's what the Dogs wanted him for. 

Shame it's the dogs he will have his work cut out for him 

For our Australian friends who want to know what type of player athompson is, I would compare him to Jai Arrow. Not huge for a modern middle forward but immensely strong with a huge engine.

18 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Saints could have made him a marquee player.

Besides, his family are multi-millionaires. I'm pretty sure he isn't going because he needs more money, more because the NRL is the premier rugby competition in the world. 

Exactly. Saints made him a comparative money offer but he chose to go to the NRL to test himself not purely for money.

Sad to see him go as he's been exceptional for Saints the last few years, but good luck to him in the NRL. He's probably chosen the right time to go to the Dogs with their SC issues coming to an end. They will be building a strong team again over the next few years so they'll be a club on the up. I do think Holbrook should have gone there instead of the Gold Coast, they'll always be a basket case club.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Marginally better than st Helens? Please !

You've never been to Sydney I take it ?

Its like most major cities, yes it has some really nice areas but it also has some pretty awful ones, and i'd definitely put the Canterbury area as one of those. It makes St.Helens look like Mayfair its that rough !!

(I will caveat that by saying its 7 years since I lived there so it may have changed a lot - but I doubt it !)

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

You've never been to Sydney I take it ?

Its like most major cities, yes it has some really nice areas but it also has some pretty awful ones, and i'd definitely put the Canterbury area as one of those. It makes St.Helens look like Mayfair its that rough !!

(I will caveat that by saying its 7 years since I lived there so it may have changed a lot - but I doubt it !)

oi i live near canterbury.  its a lovely area.  as long as you dont argue with the wrong person and get stabbed lol.

Just now, aj1908 said:

oi i live near canterbury.  its a lovely area.  as long as you dont argue with the wrong person and get stabbed lol.

Your right, it wasn't the area, it was the people. My abiding memory was seeing so many drunk people on the streets in Canterbury !

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Your right, it wasn't the area, it was the people. My abiding memory was seeing so many drunk people on the streets in Canterbury !

the key to sydney is not crossing the anzac bridge.  there is a direct relationship between how far west you travel and how bad it is lol

if you stay in the east or north its absolutely wonderful.

ive had people come from melbourne or queensland and they are absolutely shocked by what sydney is really like.  everyone thinks its just like bondi beach and manly lol

Archived