Luke Thompson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Not famous but his dad owns Mark Thompson transport and they apparently do quite well for themselves. 

I thought Mark Thompson Transport sold out in 2017 to Kinaxia Logistics.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

I thought Mark Thompson Transport sold out in 2017 to Kinaxia Logistics.

They did. I have just been doing a little research and it looks like the full consideration for the sale was £12M with £10M cash and £2M in share options in the Kinaxia Group. As Mark Thompson was the sole share holder I think the 'they do quite well for themselves' stands up.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

They did. I have just been doing a little research and it looks like the full consideration for the sale was £12M with £10M cash and £2M in share options in the Kinaxia Group. As Mark Thompson was the sole share holder I think the 'they do quite well for themselves' stands up.

So that’s the same Kinaxia who are sponsors on the Saints shirt? It’s like u12s again when some lad’s dad would stump up for new kit and have his dodgy scaffolding firm on it ?

19 hours ago, aj1908 said:

the key to sydney is not crossing the anzac bridge.  there is a direct relationship between how far west you travel and how bad it is lol

if you stay in the east or north its absolutely wonderful.

ive had people come from melbourne or queensland and they are absolutely shocked by what sydney is really like.  everyone thinks its just like bondi beach and manly lol

Ha ha I know what you mean. I worked in Chatswood (or Chatswoo as it was affectionally known given the predominantly spoken language there was Chinese) but chose to live out west in 'The Ponds' away from the 'inner city' areas. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Ha ha I know what you mean. I worked in Chatswood (or Chatswoo as it was affectionally known given the predominantly spoken language there was Chinese) but chose to live out west in 'The Ponds' away from the 'inner city' areas. 

not just chatswood lol.

im burwood and if i have to travel west or south of here i get depressed.

On 03/02/2020 at 20:45, Dunbar said:

The Australian side of the story is here... https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/04/thompson-leaving-st-helens-to-beef-up-bulldogs-pack/

A quote from McManus

"We are absolutely sure that he will be absolutely sure that he will be absolutely committed to the club and his teammates for the rest of this season.

“There’s no hiding from the fact that this is a bitter disappointment to all of us as Luke has been connected to the club since the age of 11 and has developed into an absolute top player at 24 years old".

One thing I am absolutely sure of is that McManus needs a thesaurus.

Im sure he is as sick ad a dog.  But money talks.

On 03/02/2020 at 21:18, Saintslass said:

I think clubs are allowed two marque players this season.  We (Saints) definitely have one, in James Roby, but whether we have two I don't know.  However, I doubt Thompson would have stayed regardless of the cash offered to him.  He's young and as far as I'm aware doesn't have children or other ties to the UK.  So it's more likely he's chosen down under for the experience rather than the money per se (although obviously the money will be nice!).  

I think it's unfortunate that Saints have now lost two extremely good props to the NRL just as those props are entering the peak periods of their careers.  I am very disappointed in Thompson as well as in losing Thompson.  He's been with the club since he was 11 years old and the club has invested a lot in him.  He could have given the club a couple more years at his peak before buzzing off.

I hope he doesn't fail but just now I don't feel particularly partial to wishing him luck either.  I'm just too narked about his decision at present.

Yes i can sympathise with that. I do not see why Davo should be upset about your comment.

Wigan did at least get a transfer for Williams and Bateman. And Bateman was not strictly home grown.   Saints failure was not to get a long term contract earlier.  But if they had paid up more with that then they could not have perhaps brought in another player to add to their roster.

Ryan Sutton was from Billinge, so both of us can be upset he went down under.  He has extended his contract of course... I'm sure Wane has him on the radar.

I can't see how Saints and Wigan fans can get upset about losing players to the NRL. Both are high profile UK clubs who have enjoyed signing players from other clubs/districts for decades and now they have lost half a dozen players between them to the NRL.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived