Live album

Given that live albums are often put out by record companies in a band's hiatus, or a band member has left, the band splits up etc, and are oft recorded on a "last tour" e.g live in japan was ian gillan's final tour... the band recorded who do you think we are with gillan and blackmore in the studio at different timrs as they couldn't stand each other...

Or, strangers in the night, UFOs live album before alcohol dependant micky shenker called it quits

Or Thin lizzy after Robertson quit.

Or, free live, recorded after highway failed to hit the previous albums highs and kossoff deteriorated.

Or shameless attempts by record companies to trot out another album of what is essentially a live greatest hits album like "who's last", clash at shea stadium etc.

Question then..... is there a really great live album? I have a few. Most are bloody awful

Y&T - Open Fire, best album they did I reckon.

Scorpions - World Wide Live

Ozzy Osbourne - Tribute to Randy Rhodes all live recordings.

Cheap Trick - Live at the Buddakan

Dokken's live stuff was all pretty much better than their studio stuff too.

Pink Floyd - -Delicate sounds of thunder is pretty good too.

41 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Question then..... is there a really great live album? I have a few. Most are bloody awful

Although there are some bits on live albums that never appear anywhere I've still found them a waste of space.

It always struck me as a pointless contradiction.It also reminds of the guy doing the Salford winning the champioship GF "If you weren't here buy the video!"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

For me there is one that would prove almost impossible to beat. I may be a tad biased as I was actually there but, "The Who - Live At Leeds" has everything a live album should be. The original even retained the crackling picked up during the recording. Even the "cleaned up" version which actually has the entire concert sounds well with the volume up to eleven! The original vinyl album was packaged as a bootleg with all sorts of bits of random paper, bills and photos.

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Roger Daltrey reckons the show recorded either before or after that gig, ‘Live at Hull’ is the better recording.

I've heard that as well. There were all sorts of tales of lost recordings, failing equipment and a school of thought that the actual recording on the album was the Hull concert. Various sources have since said that the original album was the Leeds one. The later compilations on cd etc have bits from both I think.

I like live albums, I think some people are disappointed with them because they compare them to the studio version. I just like the energy and excitement of being at that concert, warts and all.

My favourite is Genesis Live (1973), it includes my two favourite tracks of theirs, The Knife and Musical Box (IMO The Music Box has the best finale to any modern day number)

I like live because it's er  well live

I noticed someone mentioned the excitement of the crowd ......

....drugs!

I did have some live Beeb Sessions on tapes that I quite liked.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

"Pictures at an Exhibition" by ELP is a great live album.

I also like Mountain Live, "The Road Goes Ever On". However, it's only one side that I really like - the live version of "Nantucket Sleighride". It's brilliant!

My favourite live album, though, is without a doubt, "Live at the Fillmore East" by the Allman Brothers Band. It is sublime. 

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

I also like Mountain Live, "The Road Goes Ever On". However, it's only one side that I really like - the live version of "Nantucket Sleighride". It's brilliant!

Really good album that! Took me ages to link that with the theme to "Weekend World" with Brian Walden on ITV. Used to think "that sounds so familiar!" and couldn't place it for a good while,  Penny dropped when I actually bought that album! Had a simialr episode with Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain". You have all heard that theme I will bet!

16 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

J Geils Band: Live - Full House

"Whammer Jammer" from that album always gets me going.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some good choices already on here , i might add

Dr Feelgood   -  Stupidity

Genesis   -  Seconds Out

Kate Bush  - Live at Hammersmith Odeon

Mothers   - Live at the Fillmore , Just Another Band From LA

Rory Gallagher    - Live In Europe  , Irish Tour

Roxy Music   -   Viva Roxy

On 03/02/2020 at 15:56, distantdog said:

A pillar of my teenage years!

Paul Raymond (Geoff to his mates) was a good mate of mine, he spent a lot of time in Workington as his fiancee Helen was from here.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Nobody mentioned Scorpions' Tokyo Tapes yet ? 

Or Rainbow On Stage ?

But the best live album, in the sense that it captures the band's live energy best, is Motorhead's No Sleep 'til Hammersmith.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

On 03/02/2020 at 15:58, Johnoco said:

Roger Daltrey reckons the show recorded either before or after that gig, ‘Live at Hull’ is the better recording.

The band wanted to release the Hull City Hall gig but there was a cock up with the recording. When they came to listen to it the bass track was missing from the first three or four songs. They released the Hull gig a few years back with the bass from the Leeds show cleverly edited in to those songs. It's pretty good too.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 03/02/2020 at 15:09, Johnoco said:

It’s Alive - The Ramones 

I would include Live & Dangerous by Thin Lizzy but there’s a bit too much studio work involved. Great album all the same

Two of my favourites right there. It's Alive is one of the few live albums that really captures a band in their pomp.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived