8-9 Feb: Coral Challenge Cup Third Round Match Thread

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Not really a shock but expected it to be closer than that especially when Raiders were at home

Being from South Wales and having originally played junior RL down there I should have sympathy for WWR but I don’t.

Their preparation for this season has been awful.

- They had only 9 players at a training session three weeks ago.

- Today they had a hooker on the wing, a full back in the halves alongside a centre.

- There are numerous spelling and grammatical errors in anything they post in their website which still looks like it was made by a GCSE student for a homework project.

- The RFL revealed their home kit before the club did.

- They promised day-by-day player announcements but went 6 days without posting a thing to their socials - let alone a new signing.

Their own ground they may have, financial stability they may have but the trust of many in South Wales they do not!

On a decent day I would have fancied Underbank to have added 15-20pts to that.

Through my time watching RL there have been some appaling excuses for pro clubs in the game: Donny, Huyton in their various guises, Southend, Maidstone, Nottingham, Blackpool Gladiator's all with the exception of Donny who pulled themselves up by their bootlaces, thankfully lost to the game but it has to be said WWR take being carp down to a new level. The RFL should do the right thing and withdraw them from the game, shed your Crocodile tears if you want but for 125 years it's been shown RL is not viable in Wales so why push against the immovable.

22 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

On a decent day I would have fancied Underbank to have added 15-20pts to that.

Through my time watching RL there have been some appaling excuses for pro clubs in the game: Donny, Huyton in their various guises, Southend, Maidstone, Nottingham, Blackpool Gladiator's all with the exception of Donny who pulled themselves up by their bootlaces, thankfully lost to the game but it has to be said WWR take being carp down to a new level. The RFL should do the right thing and withdraw them from the game, shed your Crocodile tears if you want but for 125 years it's been shown RL is not viable in Wales so why push against the immovable.

I don't know too much about the rugby league scene in south Wales but perhaps more due diligence from the RFL is required before they go ahead with the various clubs.

One club given the go ahead,South Wales Ironmen,had a paid employee of the governing body on the board of directors and they failed to finish the one and only year of their existence.

This allowed West Wales Raiders to take over their position.

The different owners for Crusaders,in Bridgend and Wrexham,had various warnings from several quarters.

I would suggest that the board,and the volunteers,at WWR is far less than any other League 1 side.

The top clubs in full time operations fail to  input the required skill sets into cross-code players.

How can a newly formed club hope to do that,alongside a whole lot of student players,scattered around various universities.

It's probably just as well the weather in Keighley has prevented WWR going to Newcastle Thunder next week.

The infrastructure,or lack of it,amongst other things,do not augur well with any imminent improvements for WWR.

Very well done Underbank Rangers.I hope they get a good draw for the next round.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Excellent result that for 'Bank who are nothing more than a hamlet team from Holmfirth near Huddersfield who play out of a cow field, to travel down to West Wales to play a league one team on their own patch and stuff them is a good day whatever standard WWR are at.

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

When will the cancelled games have to be played has it been scheduled? Will it be next weekend thus affecting many games in the leagues  Championship 1 and NCL.

Next weekend, cup takes priority over league.

56 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Excellent result that for 'Bank who are nothing more than a hamlet team from Holmfirth near Huddersfield who play out of a cow field, to travel down to West Wales to play a league one team on their own patch and stuff them is a good day whatever standard WWR are at.

My favourite away trip when Coventry were in the NCL. The setting is gorgeous although the pitch is hilariously atrocious. Underbank were always one of the toughest sides we came up against. Knew they would win today. 

Now after a horrendous trip up the motorway we are now sitting outside Leeds General Infirnary trying to find out about one of our players who was taken there by ambulance. A late hit on 14 minutes which was not even put on report.

i don’t know what the penalty was count but the Bears were hammered by the ref. Almost every try Hunslet scored was preceded by a nothing penalty.

Best team won but result was skewed by some questionable decisions.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

21 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

My favourite away trip when Coventry were in the NCL. The setting is gorgeous although the pitch is hilariously atrocious. Underbank were always one of the toughest sides we came up against. Knew they would win today. 

The coldest ground I have ever refereed at and it was April ?

10 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Now after a horrendous trip up the motorway we are now sitting outside Leeds General Infirnary trying to find out about one of our players who was taken there by ambulance. A late hit on 14 minutes which was not even put on report.

i don’t know what the penalty was count but the Bears were hammered by the ref. Almost every try Hunslet scored was preceded by a nothing penalty.

Best team won but result was skewed by some questionable decisions.

I heard it was a shocking tackle, and on a young lad trying to make his way in the game. Late hits are the most cowardly thing any player can do so I hope retrospective action is taken. No need for it in the game.. 

Archived