4 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Leigh Centurions v Sheffield Eagles
Toulouse Olympique v Oldham
Featherstone Rovers v Halifax
London Broncos v Whitehaven
Swinton Lions v Dewsbury Rams
Widnes Vikings v Batley Bulldogs
York City Knights v Bradford Bulls

I am going for a couple of upsets in this round. Halifax to win at Fev Rovers and Bradford to win at York. IMO both Fax and Bulls being better teams than most givem credit for - including some of thir own fans.

If your wondering,  I never tip the Broncos to win - even if they were playing Brisbane Girls School for the Blind. if I tipped a win the curse of the Rooster would strike and they would find a way to lose...

Wouldn't Timbuktu/Mogadishu Girls School for the blind be a better analogy? At least Brisbane would have a bloody good idea of what game they were supposed to be playing.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I were hoping after last week the bookies would continue to get the odds out early but looks like it were just a once off.

They seem to do this every year, first week odds out at xmas but wait until friday/saturday for the rest of the year. I always try to take advantage of the first week as the handicaps are always well off.

On 05/02/2020 at 09:33, Bulliac said:

I'll travel in hope but definitely no expectation. I wasn't impressed with York in our pre-season game but they are a good side and will take some beating on their own paddock. It could be a tight game.

Indeed.  Connor Robinson being banned won't help them.  Also, prediction is very bad weather.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

48 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

A tip for those predicting Oldham's results. Look at the result of Oldham athletic the day before. Whenever they win the Roughyeds lose and vice versa. Although not 100% it seemed to work last year and definitely last week. 

Isn’t that because Athletic were woeful and the Roughyeds good last season though? You could probably say the same about Liverpool and Norwich this season ?

18 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

On last Sunday's showing:

-We have three good props, two good halfbacks, one good centre, one really fast winger and a good fullback.

- The rest of the team is decent and, if it can join the dots, we should win this week.

- Providing we let Milnes do the place kicks.

?

Good luck with that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633352/day3

I thought about going to Ealing to see the Broncos play Whitehaven as it's not far from me in West London. But £25 ??

I went twice last season against Wigan and Salford and for a Superleague game it was OK but against Whitehaven?

Hardly any shelter and standing on a grass bank! Also I noticed that Broncos 'have to charge' disabled fans full price. Do other clubs  have concessions for disabled fans?

1 minute ago, Gav Wilson said:

Knights charge disabled fans the concession price and they get a carer in for free if needed. 

I don't know why Broncos say they have to charge disabled fans full price. Who is making them?

So handicap wise....

Leigh -16 V Sheffield

Toulouse -34 V Oldham

London -32 V Whitehaven

Swinton -4 V Dewsbury

Widnes -20 V Batley

York -8 V Bradford

Fev -12 V Halifax

I said I would take Toulouse with anything up to -36 so Im still taking that. Nothing really stands out apart from maybe Batley at -20. I expect Widnes to win the game comfortably but not sure if its 20 points comfortably.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I expect Widnes to win the game comfortably but not sure if its 20 points comfortably.

Tend to agree. It was 28-22 last year and Batley won their home game 20-18. Pretty stormy conditions forecast for Sunday, I would think that might keep the scores down in one or two games.

10 hours ago, JonM said:

Tend to agree. It was 28-22 last year and Batley won their home game 20-18. Pretty stormy conditions forecast for Sunday, I would think that might keep the scores down in one or two games.

I would have fancied Haven with that handicap on a normal pitch but on the plastic I think London will be somewhere near that.

15 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

Hardly any shelter and standing on a grass bank!

Well that is completely inaccurate as you will know if you went to a game last season! There are fully covered stands at either end, and the main stand, albeit that is generally full of season tickets holders. And technically the bank is 3G and not grass …...

On 05/02/2020 at 19:39, The Blues Ox said:

Fax V Fev games don't have the same sort of pull that they used to have. That was clear at the home and away games last season with maybe only a hundred or so travelling away fans at each. Our home games against Fev used to be our biggest attended games but last season it was in line with games against teams like Batley.

Hmm...I'd say there were at least 250 Fev fans in the North stand at last season's game plus maybe a sprinkling seated in the main stand, and that followed immediately after our worst performance of the season when Barow hammered us at home.

58 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Hmm...I'd say there were at least 250 Fev fans in the North stand at last season's game plus maybe a sprinkling seated in the main stand, and that followed immediately after our worst performance of the season when Barow hammered us at home.

If true then it would suggest some fiddling of the numbers going on or that we had less home fans than we normally do although that does go along with the thinking that the Fax V Fev games are no longer the big draw they were.

17 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

I thought about going to Ealing to see the Broncos play Whitehaven as it's not far from me in West London. But £25 ??

I went twice last season against Wigan and Salford and for a Superleague game it was OK but against Whitehaven?

Hardly any shelter and standing on a grass bank! Also I noticed that Broncos 'have to charge' disabled fans full price. Do other clubs  have concessions for disabled fans?

Well if that was us there would already be a 25 page thread on it by now.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

57 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

If true then it would suggest some fiddling of the numbers going on or that we had less home fans than we normally do although that does go along with the thinking that the Fax V Fev games are no longer the big draw they were.

The South Stand was more empty than I'd ever seen it that day, very sparse for some reason.

Just from the highlights I've seen from the first round, the most eyecatching thing was how slick Widnes seemed to look in their passing movements. How much of that was down to the weakness of the opposition (Oldham) I don't know, nor how well their pack will stand up to stronger teams, but in those very limited highlights they did look quite impressive.

23 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

Assume you mean the 4G banked surface on the scoreboard side and yes there’s no cover there. However plenty of shelter at each end of the ground. £25 even for Whitehaven is hardly a bad price in London.

Approach to disabled entry is must pay full price, not sure where the ‘have to charge’ comes from. It would be enlightening to discover. They do enable carer in free on basis of evidence. Whether you agree with that is a matter of opinion.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Archived