Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

8-9 Feb: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

58 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Hmm...I'd say there were at least 250 Fev fans in the North stand at last season's game plus maybe a sprinkling seated in the main stand, and that followed immediately after our worst performance of the season when Barow hammered us at home.

If true then it would suggest some fiddling of the numbers going on or that we had less home fans than we normally do although that does go along with the thinking that the Fax V Fev games are no longer the big draw they were.

17 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

I thought about going to Ealing to see the Broncos play Whitehaven as it's not far from me in West London. But £25 ??

I went twice last season against Wigan and Salford and for a Superleague game it was OK but against Whitehaven?

Hardly any shelter and standing on a grass bank! Also I noticed that Broncos 'have to charge' disabled fans full price. Do other clubs  have concessions for disabled fans?

Well if that was us there would already be a 25 page thread on it by now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

57 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

If true then it would suggest some fiddling of the numbers going on or that we had less home fans than we normally do although that does go along with the thinking that the Fax V Fev games are no longer the big draw they were.

The South Stand was more empty than I'd ever seen it that day, very sparse for some reason.

Just from the highlights I've seen from the first round, the most eyecatching thing was how slick Widnes seemed to look in their passing movements. How much of that was down to the weakness of the opposition (Oldham) I don't know, nor how well their pack will stand up to stronger teams, but in those very limited highlights they did look quite impressive.

23 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

I thought about going to Ealing to see the Broncos play Whitehaven as it's not far from me in West London. But £25 ??

I went twice last season against Wigan and Salford and for a Superleague game it was OK but against Whitehaven?

Hardly any shelter and standing on a grass bank! Also I noticed that Broncos 'have to charge' disabled fans full price. Do other clubs  have concessions for disabled fans?

Assume you mean the 4G banked surface on the scoreboard side and yes there’s no cover there. However plenty of shelter at each end of the ground. £25 even for Whitehaven is hardly a bad price in London.

Approach to disabled entry is must pay full price, not sure where the ‘have to charge’ comes from. It would be enlightening to discover. They do enable carer in free on basis of evidence. Whether you agree with that is a matter of opinion.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

13 minutes ago, Southern Reiver said:

They do enable carer in free on basis of evidence. Whether you agree with that is a matter of opinion.

Thats a fair call in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Southern Reiver said:

Assume you mean the 4G banked surface on the scoreboard side and yes there’s no cover there

I don’t think bazzzz has ever been to Trailfinders

Leigh 58 - 10 Sheffield. As clinical a Leigh performance as I've seen for a few years now. Seem to have picked up where we left off in the second half against Dewsbury.

• Like 1

Leigh to big, to fast, to strong for a game Sheffield outfit, albeit I would have liked Leigh to have played a more expansive type of game once the game was won i.e. half time at 26-0 it became a test of strength for a very dominant Leigh pack.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh to big, to fast, to strong for a game Sheffield outfit, albeit I would have liked Leigh to have played a more expansive type of game once the game was won i.e. half time at 26-0 it became a test of strength for a very dominant Leigh pack.

Harry I think the conditions as the game went on had an impact on an expansive game.Very strong performance from Leigh and IMO Nil pts would`ve flattered the Eagles.

Edited by Bartholemew Smythe

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

4 minutes ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

Harry I think the conditions as the game went on had an impact on an expansive game.Very strong performance from Leigh and IMO Nil pts would`ve flattered the Eagles.

Yes Bartholomew, but trying things in actual games when someone wants to clout you around the earhole means hell of a lot more than on the training pitch, we had won and completely dominated the test of strength with 30 minutes left on the clock, why wait until we need to put a different aspect on the offensive till we need it.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes Bartholomew, but trying things in actual games when someone wants to clout you around the earhole means hell of a lot more than on the training pitch, we had won and completely dominated the test of strength with 30 minutes left on the clock, why wait until we need to put a different aspect on the offensive till we need it.

As I stated the windy conditions IMO were`nt conducive to an expansive game,overall I thought that was our best performance for 2 seasons but each to their own.

1 hour ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

As I stated the windy conditions IMO were`nt conducive to an expansive game,overall I thought that was our best performance for 2 seasons but each to their own.

Yeah as you say each to their own, but I think your last sentance is a little disrespectful to the lads who came in last season with no expectation anď produced some performances no one expected they would be capable of.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yeah as you say each to their own, but I think your last sentance is a little disrespectful to the lads who came in last season with no expectation anď produced some performances no one expected they would be capable of.

Why am I being disrespectful to last years squad? ......Last years squad which was hastily formed played valiantly throughout the year.I`m just making a judgement on todays game that IMO that was as clinical a performance across the park that a Leyth side have done in the last 2 seasons! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Too, Too & Too

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Interesting  coincidence that both Leigh and Toulouse each scored 11 tries and 7 goals in their respective victories today.

Leigh let in two tries, Toulouse one.

It is looking like Toulouse and Leigh could perhaps be playing against each other at the season's end for the right to be promoted to Super League.  I suppose that Featherstone, London and Widnes might also compete, but of course it is too early to know.

I am surprised that Sheffield performed so poorly today. Were they suffering from injuries to regular first choice players?

Edited by Manfred Mann

Gregg McNally achieved the milestone of 1000 career points today by kicking the final conversion at the whistle 

Well done Gregg , top player for us over the years , not forgetting he was the last player to score at Hilton Park ( for Haven ) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

Interesting  coincidence that both Leigh and Toulouse each scored 11 tries and 7 goals in their respective victories today.

It is looking like Toulouse and Leigh could perhaps be playing against each other at the season's end for the right to be promoted to Super League.  I suppose that Featherstone, London and Widnes might also compete, but of course it is too early to know.

I am surprised that Sheffield performed so poorly today. Were they suffering from injuries to regular first choice players?

Jean/Steph Curry............How do you know that Sheffield performed so poorly from your armchair in Chorley?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Gregg McNally achieved the milestone of 1000 career points today by kicking the final conversion at the whistle 

Well done Gregg , top player for us over the years , not forgetting he was the last player to score at Hilton Park ( for Haven ) 

Glad he got to kick the last goal ,well done the Leyth Marra.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Leigh played a Friday night fixture, Sheffield played a tough Sunday fixture. It would have had a bearing.