Sat 8 Feb: SL: Salford Red Devils v Toronto Wolfpack KO 2pm

Who will win?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Toronto Wolfpack

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/02/20 at 14:00

12 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

You have to feel sorry for Salford, No sooner do they get a decent side together than it is pillaged by their rivals, 8 players leaving the club and 12 arrivals- The loss of Jackson Hastings near irreplaceable, in recent years they have lost Ben Murdoch-Masila, Robert Lui, Marc Sneyd, Steffan Ratchford and  Stephen Myler all payers on which you could have bulit a club around.

You cannot blame the players as you have a short career and you maximise your earnings in that time. Problem is the Big five in Super League operate on the basis of If you can't beat them buy them and the players get to replace them are of inferior quality and I could not help but notice Rhys Williams beaten yet again on the touchline in the St Helens a sight familiar to Broncos fans.

Toronto Wolfpacks "Wild geese" to win this one...

And the big clubs do this in these days of a "Controlled" salary cap, what would happen in an open ended market, when they could buy any number of player's? or if the cap was kept in place and the crack-pot idea of taking the young guy's off the Cap including those who are seasoned first team player's, that would just allow the rich clubs to buy in more seasoned players, not because they would need them but to prevent the opposition having them. 

Iv'e always been against any breakaways in RL but I am coming round to thinking that let the Big Five (and let TWP join them) as you term them should go their own way and have their own division, isn't  this what the fans of those clubs relish to be able to dominate the market?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My money is on Salford as they are a better coached side.

From what I saw last weekend Toronto need to improve their defence a lot.

I think most of the sides you'd expect to be nearer the bottom will want to make sure they beat Toronto at home.

The TWP side will get the vast majority of their points back in Canada on their plastic pitch as the season goes on.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

10 hours ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Toronto will have learnt a lot from their Cas outing (specifically that they need decent half backs). But, that aside, they might just sneak this one.

Anybody who has watched TWP last season could tell you they needed decent Half's, love him or hate him Jon Wilkin is still their most creative player, it would also help a long way if they got some forwards who could cover the ground unlike those they employ who look like they have got their footware from one of those cut-price retailer's and left the 6" piece of string which ties the boots together still attached.

Just an observation which most people agree with, nothing else, nothing to do with it being Toronto before I get accused of that I would use the same words whichever team had that roster in SL. 

3 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

My money is on Salford as they are a better coached side.

From what I saw last weekend Toronto need to improve their defence a lot.

I think most of the sides you'd expect to be nearer the bottom will want to make sure they beat Toronto at home.

The TWP side will get the vast majority of their points back in Canada on their plastic pitch as the season goes on.

Totally agree, but your last sentance I don't comprehend, haven't both Widnes and London performed at home on plastic pitches in SL, considering they are both now in the second stream doesn't say that they gained much advantage from it, TWP are slow covering the ground, faster teams will still be faster on plastic pitches.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Anybody who has watched TWP last season could tell you they needed decent Half's, love him or hate him Jon Wilkin is still their most creative player, it would also help a long way if they got some forwards who could cover the ground unlike those they employ who look like they have got their footware from one of those cut-price retailer's and left the 6" piece of string which ties the boots together still attached.

Just an observation which most people agree with, nothing else, nothing to do with it being Toronto before I get accused of that I would use the same words whichever team had that roster in SL. 

I think that they need Wilkin for level-headed guidance more than anything else. He's the glue which binds the rest of them together.

However, I'm not entirely sure that the 'whole' set of forwards are a problem. In my opinion, Sidlow is a far better prop than he is given credit for, and Mullaly was a regular starter in the Leeds oufit. The backs also look to be in good shape - Miloudi made a good showing against Cas, for example.

It really is the halves. They just aren't good enough and can't get the engine of the team going.

If TWP had a Blake Austin, Jonny Lomax or (cough) Albert Kelly, they would fly this season. I'm certain of it.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree, but your last sentance I don't comprehend, haven't both Widnes and London performed at home on plastic pitches in SL, considering they are both now in the second stream doesn't say that they gained much advantage from it, TWP are slow covering the ground, faster teams will still be faster on plastic pitches.

I mean they will get better as they go on AND have the advantage of a plastic pitch they are used to along with IMO some of the teams heading over there treating the trip as I little holiday and taking their eye off the ball.

You are correct though if they don't speed up and organise their defence they will still struggle.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

After last weeks showing I think the Pack will lift their game and come up with a comfortable win.This is the game that will determine their season.They need to win this one,it's the only game  they are likely to win  before they return to Canada.

5 hours ago, frank said:

After last weeks showing I think the Pack will lift their game and come up with a comfortable win.This is the game that will determine their season.They need to win this one,it's the only game  they are likely to win  before they return to Canada.

Return ? ?

TV will always air the game that draws the biggest potential audience irregardless of the teams involved. Fox and ESPN over here will broadcast the Red Sox and the Yankees half a dozen times a year. Doesn't matter if they're fighting for first or last. They are draws (I despise them both and wont watch either; I'm pretty sure no Fox or ESPN executive is losing any sleep over it).

Dallas Cowboys got to be America's team by always at 4 on Sundays when there might only be a couple of other games on instead of 1 when they'd just 1 game amid 10 others.

It's all part of branding/marketing and in every sport now TV calls the shots. But were I running Sky I'd be sure every Saints game was on.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

TV will always air the game that draws the biggest potential audience irregardless of the teams involved. Fox and ESPN over here will broadcast the Red Sox and the Yankees half a dozen times a year. Doesn't matter if they're fighting for first or last. They are draws (I despise them both and wont watch either; I'm pretty sure no Fox or ESPN executive is losing any sleep over it).

Dallas Cowboys got to be America's team by always at 4 on Sundays when there might only be a couple of other games on instead of 1 when they'd just 1 game amid 10 others.

It's all part of branding/marketing and in every sport now TV calls the shots. But were I running Sky I'd be sure every Saints game was on.

You'd be surprised how well Salford did in the ratings last year. We have a decent amount of stay at home fans it seems - if I was a guessing man I'd say they are interested enough to watch on TV but would rather pay to watch the tripe up the road at Old Trafford. Maybe one day they will come to their senses!

Game Day!  I'll be heading off soon to the AJ bell (via spoons for a breakie)

For the away fan count... The TWP uk fans Facebook has 12 of us listed as going, hopefully more are kicking around!

I'm hoping Salford has a large presence and are just as (if not more) vocal as they were in the 8s against us!

Let's go wolfpack ??   ???

Archived