Fri 7 Feb: SL: Hull FC v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Hull Kingston Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/02/20 at 19:45

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Hull's forwards play with the same intensity as at Leeds it will be a comfortable win. Rovers will be game but if you aren't physically big and strong enough you can only compete for so long before you get overwhelmed. 

I wouldn't put in past Hull being really flat and getting turned over, but all things being equal I will go for Hull by 18.

Gonna be a real cracker, only single seats available in lower tier and about half of upper west open so should be getting towards 21,000 tickets sold so far. 

Our forwards will dominate, haven't felt this confident for a Derby in a long time but you never know what will happen in these games. 

Hull by 22.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I love the Hull derby (watching on TV that is), the many posters on here who seem to think Hull KR shouldn’t be in Super League For whatever reason should watch one and see if they change their mind. 

No I won't.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

How can you not tip Hull to take this after the way they crushed Leeds last week, That said if any team is going to get up for this game it's KR, I don't see them winning this game but i do think they are going to surprise a few this season, Hull too strong, win by three scores.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

1 hour ago, jacksy said:

It's FC v KR so i have no idea.

That's always the cliche that gets brought up, but whilst I don't have stats to back it up I'm pretty sure Hull KR at home has been one of our easiest fixtures in the Radford era. We have given them some real pastings.

It's a Hull Derby so chuck any preconceptions out of the window.

But we'll stuff 'em.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Hull were the first professional club of either RL or Football in the city, so they had first dibs at choosing "Hull Football Club" as their company name. I don't like them being known solely as "FC" without the Hull name first but I think the younger generation like it so who am I to grumble.

Eddie Hemmings always referred to Hull by their traditional knickname as the "Airlie Birds" and I much preferred that to the bloody awful "Sharks" that we were known as when SL first started.

Those upstarts "Hull  KR"  came along 23 years after Hull FC were founded so had to call themselves summat different.

As for Hull City, the current owners the Allams had a massive falling out with the owners of the KCOM Stadium, Hull City Council, so wanted to drop the "City" word from their name to distance the club from the council and just be known as "Hull Tigers". Even though the Football Association told them to "do one" when they applied to change their name, they still insist on using that term on many aspects of their website. Which tells you quite a lot about the mentality of the Egyptian owners of the club

Isn’t the city really called Kingston upon Hull (with the Hull bit referring to the River Hull)?

Seems odd that the city hasn’t been shortened to Kingston really.

Must be something about the fish!

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Isn’t the city really called Kingston upon Hull (with the Hull bit referring to the River Hull)?

Seems odd that the city hasn’t been shortened to Kingston really.

Must be something about the fish!

I've read loads of history about this city and it's never been particularly clear as to why its referred to as Hull rather than Kingston. You're right, Hull is the river. There are a several possible theories as to why people call it Hull though. 

What is now known as Hull started life as a village called Wyke which was established by the monks of Meaux Abbey because they needed a port to sell their wool from. So people referred to this settlement as the port on the River Hull. Its possible that people simply shortened this to Hull seen as it was the only significant settlement on the River Hull which is a really short river.

Wyke became Kingston-upon-Hull in 1293 when it was acquired by Edward I because he needed a port in the North East to resupply his armies that were fighting the Scots. It was at this point that the town started to significantly grow so up to this point it really had only been the Port of Hull and the village of Wyke. At this point you have to think these two relatively separate places began to merge together, the port of Hull being the defining feature. Hull would possibly be called that at this time to distinguish it from other Kingstons. 

During the English civil war Hull supported to parliamentarians (in fact the civil war was declared in hull, in the ye olde white harte Inn where you can visit the plotting room) and so the Kingston bit may have been dropped at this time to show their opposition to the King. 

These are just a few theories, all of which are probably valid and all probably contribute to the reasons for the name. Ultimately what you have to remember is the port has always been the port of Hull and not the port of Kingston upon Hull and seen as the city is known for the port above anything else this is probably the major factor as to why the city is known as Hull and not Kingston. 

Thanks for showing an interest! ?

6 hours ago, MZH said:

That's always the cliche that gets brought up, but whilst I don't have stats to back it up I'm pretty sure Hull KR at home has been one of our easiest fixtures in the Radford era. We have given them some real pastings.

Facts please ?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

We should have this one done and dusted by half time.

We are young, enthusiastic, and play a very specific brand of Rugby.

Hull have a lot of fat lads from Vanuatu that haven't adjusted to the shockingly low temperatures and there is every chance one or two might freeze to death before someone shouts, 'Gateshead'.

Legend has it Manu Ma'u bumped into a polar bear crying his eyes out down Anlaby Road. Partly because he was down Anlaby Road but mainly because he was nithered.

Rovers by 5.

2 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Wesould have this one done and dusted by half time.

We are young, enthusiastic, and play a very specific brand of Rugby.

Hull have a lot of fat lads from Vanuatu that haven't adjusted to the shockingly low temperatures and there is every chance one or two might freeze to death before someone shouts, 'Gateshead'.

Legend has it Manu Ma'u bumped into a polar bear crying his eyes out down Anlaby Road. Partly because he was down Anlaby Road but mainly because he was nithered.

Rovers by 5.

"Gateshull" surely?

And why would a polar bear be crying his eyes out because it was cold?, I thought they lived in the Arctic.

Apart from that, I'd say you were spot on.

14 hours ago, MZH said:

I'm pretty sure Hull KR at home has been one of our easiest fixtures in the Radford era. We have given them some real pastings.

7 hours ago, jacksy said:

Facts please ?

Announced as head coach 18/09/2013.

2014 : Hull 28 Hull KR 0

2015 Hull 6 Hull KR 20

2016 : Hull 36 Hull KR 12

Not sure what happened in 2017 ?

2018 : Hull 16 Hull KR 20

2019 : Hull 56 Hull KR 12

Looks like it's Rovers' turn then.

Polynesia FC to win by plenty ?

As heartened as i was by beating Wakefield last week, they still made plenty of metres up the middle. I aren't belittling the Wakefield pack, but Hull's is a different gravy.

If i'm honest i would be happy to get through it with no injuries and not getting tonked.

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Announced as head coach 18/09/2013.

2014 : Hull 28 Hull KR 0

2015 Hull 6 Hull KR 20

2016 : Hull 36 Hull KR 12

Not sure what happened in 2017 ?

2018 : Hull 16 Hull KR 20

2019 : Hull 56 Hull KR 12

Looks like it's Rovers' turn then.

Lets hope not.

In SL our win/loss ratio v KR is very close.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

No Ellis or Ma'u for Hull. But Houghton, Fonua and Kelly are all in the 21.

That probably means Fonua will come in at centre with Griffin starting in the second row. 

I reckon Johnstone and Kelly will be on the bench. Houghton can do a spell at loose forward when Johnstone comes on. 

Shaul, Naulago, Fonua, Tuimavave, Faraimo, Connor, Sneyd, Taylor, Houghton, Satae, Jones, Griffin, Sao

Savelio, Bowden, Kelly, Johnstone

Thats my best guess. 

Archived