Thur 6 Feb: SL: Warrington Wolves v St Helens KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/02/20 at 19:45

Rugby League, don'tcha just love it! Whatever Saint's excuses about injuries they were outplayed and out enthused by Wire, which is something you haven't been able to say about them for a long time.

Charley's try was a classic bit of League that we rarely see nowadays, let the ball do the work. Wire now have to back this up with more suchlike performance's, and I agree Burrell still looks like a fish out of water, the game look's too fast for him. Those of you who like a bet if you can get Saints with a 30 pts start for the WCC I would jump on it.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Cannibal!?

There's a great story from Pete Allan who is a Hull fan. He wrote a couple of books about his time as a fan and in it he says about when he worked for the council gardening. At one point in his career he was working at the boulevard. One day he saw a trail of dust leading across the pitch and assumed it was some kind of fertiliser. He says how back in the day you tended to taste whatever it was to see what kind of fertiliser it was so he did. He only found out later on that someone had had their ashes spread on the pitch that day... hmm... ?

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There's a great story from Pete Allan who is a Hull fan. He wrote a couple of books about his time as a fan and in it he says about when he worked for the council gardening. At one point in his career he was working at the boulevard. One day he saw a trail of dust leading across the pitch and assumed it was some kind of fertiliser. He says how back in the day you tended to taste whatever it was to see what kind of fertiliser it was so he did. He only found out later on that someone had had their ashes spread on the pitch that day... hmm... ?

'Roaming the Range together' and I forget the other, yes I enjoyed both of them, seemed like he got a good job at the City Hall was it? Got to see plenty of bands close up.

5 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

'Roaming the Range together' and I forget the other, yes I enjoyed both of them, seemed like he got a good job at the City Hall was it? Got to see plenty of bands close up.

Yeah that's the ones, really good reads, he did work at the City Hall, lived in the flat in the hall itself. Haven't read them in a couple of years so can't remember all the details, anyway, point is I'm not the only cannibal in hull! 

Out of context this sounds rather dodgy! 

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah that's the ones, really good reads, he did work at the City Hall, lived in the flat in the hall itself. Haven't read them in a couple of years so can't remember all the details, anyway, point is I'm not the only cannibal in hull! 

Out of context this sounds rather dodgy! 

That sounds like a good epitaph for your headstone?

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Great to back up last week's performance. 

if your happy with a 3 trys to one defeat againast a team two players down you don't have very high standards.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

2 minutes ago, my missus said:

if your happy with a 3 trys to one defeat againast a team two players down you don't have very high standards.

You what chief

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Clogiron said:

That sounds like a good epitaph for your headstone?

Great idea! That's clearly got to be my catchphrase from now on. I'm definitely getting it on a t-shirt! And maybe even a tattoo, although I don't reckon you'd be able to see it through the feathers! 

Anyhow, bedtime, derby day tomorrow, absolutely buzzing, I will try to sleep...

...nope can't get to sleep..!

19 minutes ago, my missus said:

you heard.

Even I’m unsure by that one missus.

It was 3 to 1 defeat WITH 2 players down.

Still I agree a win with 13 men would and should have been the case. Our fault. Not happy.

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

All the plaudits must go to Warrington and it seems that Matty Ashton has what it takes at Super League level.

As for Saints, it’s been a real mess including the Walmsley thing, then the Percival thing, culminating in the not-catching-the ball thing down their right edge.

Hoping St Helens can score next to make a real contest in the second half.

Ashton played two games for God sake. Don't make him a super star before his time.

2 hours ago, meast said:

Good performance from Warrington, how much Walmsley pulling out affected saints, we'll never know, but they still had a job to do and failed to do it.

Good game and some good performances, then there is Luther Burrell 

And Jonny Lomax.

Enjoyed the game, thats two cracking games to start the season. Still say saints are the best side but they have managed 1 try in the last 2 games against us. Someone started a thread after round 1 about a team going all season unbeaten, looks a bit premature. Critics of Burrell are a bit picky, two very tough games to start and he held his own, there were international players in both games who were poorer. 

Superb performance from Warrington. A week ago there was 'who can stop Saints' and then they go and nil them. 

I love the way this Warrington team are playing this year, offloads and ball movement in attacking and stinging in their defence.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Well done Wire I guess. Very good performance from them and two games to start the year where they've played at a very high intensity which is difficult to handle. Thought we were in for a cracker the first 10 minutes but then we got completely dominated for the next hour. Some really good play from them and it's hard to keep up the pace with Wire's offloads. Tough defence from them as well. Certainly looks a step up from last year.

As for us, with the disruption to the side and it being round two I'm not massively concerned. Disappointed in a few individual performances, some of the senior guys who you need to step up when the going gets tough, even when you're playing out of position.

Hoping Josh Eaves gets some game time at hooker this year. Replacing Roby is going to be hard enough as it is but I can't see Smith cutting it and Bentley just isn't a hooker no matter how well he's done in pre-season. Similarly I'm still to be convinced of Saints trying to turn Welsby into a fullback.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Superb performance from Warrington. A week ago there was 'who can stop Saints' and then they go and nil them.

Like I said on that thread, no one, absolutely no one thought Saints would go unbeaten. Every single year those threads get started so people can come back with 'this aged well' or to claim some non-existent arrogance.

Oh well, that's life, hopefully we learn some lessons from that schooling last night, got to do it pretty quickly though.

6 minutes ago, Moove said:

Similarly I'm still to be convinced of Saints trying to turn Welsby into a fullback.

What position did Welsby play most of his junior rugby, I saw him at fullback against the Aussie Schoolboys?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

What position did Welsby play most of his junior rugby, I saw him at fullback against the Aussie Schoolboys?

Think he's mixed it up a bit to be fair. His best performances I've seen though have been half back at junior level when he's able to get his hands on the ball a bit more. It's a massive step up to FB at SL level.

I suppose these days, a FB is used a bit like a third half back in attack. I just worry about him defensively where he looks quite awkward. Hopefully he comes good and proves me wrong.

Archived