Thur 6 Feb: SL: Warrington Wolves v St Helens KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/02/20 at 19:45

53 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are you the one who takes Baz and Tez seriously, every game they sound - especially Tez - to me like they are being interviewed for the job and hoping they are saying the right things, I should imagine their commentary and summarising is nothing at all like their thoughts 'off-air', it would be good to have some honest commentating like Phil Gould or Jack Gibson used to do.

No, I'm saying compared to the praise they give to Leeds, Saints and Wigan breakthrough players the commentary on Ashton wasn't as hyped.   If that was Welsby who'd had that performance we'd be hearing about it non-stop for the full 80.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I would have thought they had a new coach, having seen them start the season. Whatever Price is now doing, he should keep doing it. And who has got BMM fit? His whole body shape is different. Looks world class now.

30 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Amazing what can happen when a move back to the NRL is on the horizon.

Carrying an injury the first two seasons.

Full pre-season after a trip home for the internationals to keep him trim and he's an 80 minute player.

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

Well that's a good result for super league 

Maybe steve price has finally developed as a head coach 

The cc win mayve given them confidence to make the step up

Maybe saints will.miss Holdbrook too 

Price took on a side that finished in the Qualifiers in 2017, got it to a Grand Final in 2018 and won the 2019 Cup Final against the dominant side in that year.

If he has done any development it hasn't been in the last week.

I agree that our approach already looks more attractive in 2019.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Young Jack Walker was a 'superstar' long before he had played two games.

Only with Hemmings.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Price took on a side that finished in the Qualifiers in 2017, got it to a Grand Final in 2018 and won the 2019 Cup Final against the dominant side in that year.

when he was at the dragons (NRL) i couldnt stand him but maybe hes matured.  

15 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

2018 was a fantastic turnaround as he'd managed to instil exactly what was missing - the resilience to grind out wins when it mattered.   All we missed was some star quality in the backs.

2019 started well with Austin and co looking quite enterprising, however I have to admit I was disappointed in the second half of the season and we seemed to have gone backwards.   This left me questioning whether Price really has what it takes to get us a GF victory.

This year will be the true test.   We've got one of the best halfbacks in RL yet to appear for us and a more exciting brand of attacking rugby that should suit our x-factor players.   We'll know by the last third of the season if we really look like a champion team.

However, 3 finals and one win over two seasons is not to be sniffed at.   We just demand more as Warrington fans.   We have to remember that Holbrook has a record of two finals and one win, albeit with a much more entertaining and consistent league campaign.

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

3 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

when he was at the dragons (NRL) i couldnt stand him but maybe hes matured.  

I've made my feelings on Price as a coach pretty clear over the last couple of years (although he seems a good bloke), but I have found this change quite interesting to watch.

At the end of last year there was an interesting exchange played out in the local press where Fitzpatrick (CEO) said:

MT: Taking the Challenge Cup out of it and just focusing on Super League, I asked Steve whether he thought the Super League season had been a failure and he said no. Do you and the board agree with him?

KF: I disagree. I think it has been a failure. How is finishing fourth and crashing out in the first round of the play-offs not a failure? Steve has got us to three finals and has won us one of them. He has done an incredible job but ultimately, this Super League season is a failure.

I think this is quite unusual public disagreement, and I must admit I was impressed with our CEO's honesty and bluntness. He did go on to praise Price though.  The next point was interesting too:

MT: On the style of play, a lot of fans have called it boring and one-dimensional. If you were a paying punter, would you have enjoyed watching them play?

KF: We were good at times but we have also been poor and it’s not been pretty to watch for sure. Sometimes that conservative style can win you big games, but it’s picking when you play like that. We certainly have to look at what we’re doing with the ball. We need to ask more questions of the defence. If we play like we did for a lot of last season, you get what you deserve and we did. Through playing poorly, we crashed out. If we play in that manner again, the same will happen again. Next season, we’ll have a spine of Stef Ratchford, Blake Austin, Gareth Widdop and Daryl Clark – that’s a fantastic spine to have.

As per my comments last year, I was really pleased to hear KF come out with this and was pleased to see Price given the chance to work on this. After 160 minutes it would seem that the club is true to its word.  I have made the point many times before, I don't think grinding out a load of boring wins is the way to go, this is the entertainment business, and I am happy when negative tactics are found out.  I've been delighted so far and I'm interested to see how it goes when form drops off.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've made my feelings on Price as a coach pretty clear over the last couple of years (although he seems a good bloke), but I have found this change quite interesting to watch.

At the end of last year there was an interesting exchange played out in the local press where Fitzpatrick (CEO) said:

MT: Taking the Challenge Cup out of it and just focusing on Super League, I asked Steve whether he thought the Super League season had been a failure and he said no. Do you and the board agree with him?

KF: I disagree. I think it has been a failure. How is finishing fourth and crashing out in the first round of the play-offs not a failure? Steve has got us to three finals and has won us one of them. He has done an incredible job but ultimately, this Super League season is a failure.

I think this is quite unusual public disagreement, and I must admit I was impressed with our CEO's honesty and bluntness. He did go on to praise Price though.  The next point was interesting too:

MT: On the style of play, a lot of fans have called it boring and one-dimensional. If you were a paying punter, would you have enjoyed watching them play?

KF: We were good at times but we have also been poor and it’s not been pretty to watch for sure. Sometimes that conservative style can win you big games, but it’s picking when you play like that. We certainly have to look at what we’re doing with the ball. We need to ask more questions of the defence. If we play like we did for a lot of last season, you get what you deserve and we did. Through playing poorly, we crashed out. If we play in that manner again, the same will happen again. Next season, we’ll have a spine of Stef Ratchford, Blake Austin, Gareth Widdop and Daryl Clark – that’s a fantastic spine to have.

As per my comments last year, I was really pleased to hear KF come out with this and was pleased to see Price given the chance to work on this. After 160 minutes it would seem that the club is true to its word.  I have made the point many times before, I don't think grinding out a load of boring wins is the way to go, this is the entertainment business, and I am happy when negative tactics are found out.  I've been delighted so far and I'm interested to see how it goes when form drops off.

wow your CEO is blunt.  i imagine price wouldve been bricking it after hearing that.

6 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

wow your CEO is blunt.  i imagine price wouldve been bricking it after hearing that.

To put it in a bit more context, the CEO was responding to the frustration of fans who wanted answers.   It was nice to see an honest appraisal instead of the usual excuses, but whether he would have answered in that way if the fans hadn't kicked up a fuss?   Not so sure.

Price has apparently given Briers more freedom to coach the attack.   If true that's exactly what a side needs.  A cheeky halfback who possessed the full bag of tricks himself.

6 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

yeah, it did surprise me, but as long as they are good behind the scenes they should be able to handle this kind of bluntness.

5 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

To put it in a bit more context, the CEO was responding to the frustration of fans who wanted answers.   It was nice to see an honest appraisal instead of the usual excuses, but whether he would have answered in that way if the fans hadn't kicked up a fuss?   Not so sure.

Price has apparently given Briers more freedom to coach the attack.   If true that's exactly what a side needs.  A cheeky halfback who possessed the full bag of tricks himself.

its better he gave fans an honest answer than trying to sugar coat it.  if i was a fan id love that kind of response.  as a dragons fan we get the opposite from our CEOs who defend our awful coaches ie mcgregor now and price when we had him lol.

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I would have thought they had a new coach, having seen them start the season. Whatever Price is now doing, he should keep doing it. And who has got BMM fit? His whole body shape is different. Looks world class now.

This season is the first one he hasn't had his knee strapped up. Seems it has enabled him to have a proper pre-season.

5 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

No, I'm saying compared to the praise they give to Leeds, Saints and Wigan breakthrough players the commentary on Ashton wasn't as hyped.   If that was Welsby who'd had that performance we'd be hearing about it non-stop for the full 80.

Thoroughly agree with that CS, I can recall a few years ago when Kevin Sinfield and Paul Cooke were both performing, Sinfield could throw out an ordinary pass and it got eulogised for the next 6 weeks, Cooke could send out a 25 yard 5 player cut out ball and it  treated as a matter of fact.

Just seen the interview with the Warrington chairman, who confirms that Lee Briers has had the input that’s been making a difference to the attack.

Some nice and varied options, providing we can choose the right times to try it.

9 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Makes complete sense to bring Briers into the attack coaching role. I hope this is true. It certainly looks a lot different from the Wigan and Saints game. I was a bored fan last season - this has re-ignited my excitement for the season ahead.

25 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

Makes complete sense to bring Briers into the attack coaching role. I hope this is true. It certainly looks a lot different from the Wigan and Saints game. I was a bored fan last season - this has re-ignited my excitement for the season ahead.

This was my issue. I was bored. Even in the first half of last year. 

Archived