Rams v Widnes

myview

40 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Only able to watch it live stream but fantastic disciplined performance. 4 forwards as subs worked well and the defence was immense. Great win.

Immense defence from start to finish and sykes’ies kicking game was best I’ve seen for a while.   With tackling like that surely we won’t  be looking over our shoulders this year?
hopefully LG will rest a few for Wednesday as both teams looked knackered by the end. 
Shame more than a few decided to watch remotely rather than attend as the atmosphere in south stand was pretty good throughout.  

8 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Can't believe there aren't more posts about today's game, but I'm putting it down to shell shock. That's two really hard-fought wins in a row now. Normally one win like that a season would be something special. A real hearty congratulations to all the players, coaching and backroom staff for giving us supporters a big lift.

I think we're all out celebrating such a good win..

It was a tenacious, gritty defensive performance from the lads. For me, it was a moral nilling of a side with Widnes' reputation. Okay, they scored, but that was a very fortunate try for them and, had they not scored, that penalty on half time meant they would have had to run the ball, not kick a penalty goal..

'League Express' suggests the penalty count went in our favour, yet I suggest otherwise (5-9), but that matters not one iota with such a determined performance in conditions that were definitely wintery. I have no idea what the statistics show, but I thought we made very few handling errors and scored three good tries, the pick of which must have been the one finished off by Michael Knowles and I gave him my MoM, as did our sponsors, but Sykes' second half kicking was really astute. Finny seems very determined that he's soon going to score those two tries he needs for his personal career; he was working for it yesterday, as he did at Halifax. 

Widnes continued for most of the game to try and force their way down the middle, but could not break through our line and when they tried to move the ball out wide, a combination of their own errors and our defence snuffed out any danger. They have a young team and am sure when the conditions are dry, we shall see them produce a different kind of game. They have to accept that last night they were up against a much better team, nor should their supporters go away thinking their team had simply had an off day, they were beaten by a better side.

The defeat at home to Leigh by 36-10 was a lot closer than the score would suggest, but last night's victory was far more emphatic that the 20-8 result would have you believe. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Clearly the team have decided to give up losing for Lent! Top class performance in challenging conditions and Sykes was terrific in pacing the second half in particular with judicious kicking pinning Widnes back time and time again. And think on - we didn’t make one clean break or offload all match and still won - so if we can start to do that as well it has the makings of a good season. Only concern really is the pitch, looking more and more like the Baseball Ground in the 70’s and can only get worse before it gets better unless the Bulls rent covers re-laying the pitch....

24 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

f. Only concern really is the pitch, looking more and more like the Baseball Ground in the 70’s and can only get worse before it gets better unless the Bulls rent covers re-laying the pitch....

Not concerned about the pitch to be honest. It suits our style of play and glad we faced Widnes on it last night rather than August 6th.  Might have been completely different result.  We’ve got to remember too that once weather picks up so will the pitch.

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Only able to watch it live stream but fantastic disciplined performance. 4 forwards as subs worked well and the defence was immense. Great win.

I can't make evening matches, and would have loved to have watched it on ourleague, but after half an hour of trying to access the live stream I lost the will to live, and watched countryfile instead. Fantastic result for the lads though - early days yet, but dare to dream eh ?

:kolobok_swoon:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

A  Great performance from all the lads.Good noise from the south standers.

Just the usual foul language from the widnes fans

Sykes,superb kicking.     Knowles,like a man possessed, he reminds me of the great Gary Cox.

That game showed why we should never give away home advantage to go to new headingley.

3 hours ago, NickD said:

Not concerned about the pitch to be honest. It suits our style of play and glad we faced Widnes on it last night rather than August 6th.  Might have been completely different result.  We’ve got to remember too that once weather picks up so will the pitch.

Boggy and narrow pitch, that'll give opposition coaches two excuses when they lose. It's strange how when opposing teams win at our place that the width of the pitch doesn't seem to be a problem.....

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Boggy and narrow pitch, that'll give opposition coaches two excuses when they lose. It's strange how when opposing teams win at our place that the width of the pitch doesn't seem to be a problem.....

Good team even last season. I thought Dewsbury were one of the best teams to play Fev. Good organisation without being flashy. You need to do the basics at half back and the rest follows.

Well I was optimistic after the Leigh game, which I think the score flattered them somewhat. I was surprised if not pleased at the victory away to Fax but didn't read too much into it. Last night has certainly given me more confidence and optimism for the season. We actually look like a "team"

I'd say that the Vikings were poor in all areas but you can only play whats in front of you and we did that very well last night. Our game management in the last quarter was spot on, playing to a lead & not forcing it, thanks largely to Sykes. How many times have been in front but thrown the ball about or tried the fancy stuff only to become unstuck.    

Knowles was definitely deserving of the MOM, but it could easily have gone to any one of the 17 on duty last night

Not going to get carried away yet though, as no doubt we'll get spanking when shouldn't"! 

I'd be happy to see fringe players go up to Cumbria mid week as, as great as the CC is, I honestly believe it a distraction we could do without this year, especially if we are looking for a firm mid table finish. 

It happy days and great start tho. 

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

A great team performance with Finn,Sykes and Knowles outstanding. Thought the props did the hard work earlier doors and gave us the platform to push on.

Watched the re-run on the RL app and thought the coverage was very good including an excellent piece on Monday nights Rampage work.

Add to this the success of the pre match meal etc I think we made the best we could out of the 6.15 start, having said that I do wonder how many more would have attended given that the afternoon was almost warm. Would perhaps a 12.00 kick off time for the RL app games be better till say April ?

Onwards to Oldham and more of the same please.

Dewsbury looking a team to take seriously again in the Championship, well done. Conditions at one stage reminded me of that game v Fev about 5 years ago when Fev just scraped by you in appalling freezing wet weather.

Sykes' tactical kicking into the wind was top drawer, it's remarkable how effective a player he still is, there was a thread about Sykes defying his age on the Wakefield forum about 6 years ago and he's still producing the goods.

I normally look at Fev's early-season fixtures hoping we won't have an away game in Cumbria in Feb or March but am really glad we aren't coming to Owl Lane until August this year, and won't be counting my chickens even then. If Halifax and Widnes are supposedly contenders to be up in the top 5 or 6 then why not Dewsbury?

Archived