Israel Folau (Merged threads)

RMBJ

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh whatever your view on this signing  one could argue that there’s a certain element of hypocrisy here from some clubs if they’re so concerned with a controversial signing and the potential look on the image of SL

As I said on the original thread, it's just utterly ludicrous that Superleague doesn't have the power to block a signing in the name of protecting the brand of the competition. Folau's legal position is irrelevant, no player is entitled to a contract, and all signings should be at the discretion of the league. Pretty much every other major sports league has this power. The fact that SL doesn't shows what a weak organisation it is. A strong league commissioner must be the way forwards. 

didn't take him five minutes to sign tomkins who wigan had sacked. stirring things up like this is not helping the rugby league let it lie i say.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

13 minutes ago, Moove said:

It doesn't seem that long ago since they only fined Ben Cockayne for racist Twitter comments. Pretty sure Hudgell was in charge at the time

People remember what they like to. I'm no supporter of Folau, but the same owner is happy to employ him in a senior role, and the RFL allowed him a testimonial! 

You hope when people dig further into things, they don't discover that, or actual convictions other Super League players have picked up along the way.

You just can't over estimate to ability of SL to shoot itself in the foot can you?

Great opening weekend, with large crowds, a decent re-brand, all the hype over SBW and some great tries being scored. 

And then super-whinger Hudgell opens his big mouth and puts SL on the front page of BBC Sport for negative reasons...

Fair enough, really.

If sponsors do pull out or investors go cold on Super League citing the Folau signing, we’d all be saying Catalans have ruined things etc. Other clubs would be well within their rights to go after Catalans.

Whatever the whys and wherefores, Folau is toxic. 

23 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

People remember what they like to. I'm no supporter of Folau, but the same owner is happy to employ him in a senior role, and the RFL allowed him a testimonial! 

You hope when people dig further into things, they don't discover that, or actual convictions other Super League players have picked up along the way.

Absolutely. The criminal list in RL is pretty long.

Thought I'd better fact check myself anyway as the memory plays tricks. Turns out that not only did Hudgell only fine Cockayne for a racist tweet, he signed him again a few years later after finally sacking him for another off the field incident. Don't think you can really get much more two-faced than that.

Given his line of work though it's perhaps not surprising he's throwing threats to sue around.

48 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

As I said on the original thread, it's just utterly ludicrous that Superleague doesn't have the power to block a signing in the name of protecting the brand of the competition. Folau's legal position is irrelevant, no player is entitled to a contract, and all signings should be at the discretion of the league. Pretty much every other major sports league has this power. The fact that SL doesn't shows what a weak organisation it is. A strong league commissioner must be the way forwards. 

So where do we stop? There are various players knocking about Super League with criminal records, should these be banned forever more too?

Hull KR should now be charged for bringing the game into disrepute with this ridiculous statement

As above there are players who have done all sorts in the past who have/are still playing. Where is the line drawn.

Hull KR will not lose cash as a result of Folau. Local sponsors wont care and if anything they will gain from bums on seats when he comes to town. 

The game has made its views known and it seems clear that no further utterances will be tolerated. On that basis let him get on with playing and the media storm will blow over

Jealousy rather than moral objections is behind all of this.  

Archived