Israel Folau (Merged threads)

RMBJ

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Fair enough, really.

If sponsors do pull out or investors go cold on Super League citing the Folau signing, we’d all be saying Catalans have ruined things etc. Other clubs would be well within their rights to go after Catalans.

Whatever the whys and wherefores, Folau is toxic. 

Would they ?

Catalans haven't done anything illegal 

I doubt hull kr can sue for damages they suffer from catalans signing folau 

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That will be near on impossible to prove in a litigation battle. Sponsors walking away at clubs unrelated to Catalans will not be deemed suitable grounds and in fact they themselves should be the ones that are facing legal action.

What if a sponsor/potential sponsor cites Folau as a reason for withdrawing? That would be pretty good proof!

Where does this all end?

I'm sure some high end sponsors are put off sponsoring Super League because some clubs are sponsored by gambling companies, vaping companies etc.  Can clubs sue each other for that?

If a club has crowd trouble do they get sued because of the reputational

damage to Super League?

If we have disciplinary incidents like the Ben Flower incident, should Wigan be sued if clubs don't want to be associated with a sport?

There are countless factors at play when it comes to attracting sponsors. Things like Folou are a small part of a much bigger picture. 

12 hours ago, RMBJ said:

BBC article

In an email obtained by the BBC, Neil Hudgell wrote to the Dragons to put them "on notice" if his club suffered "financial loss" due to the signing of Folau.

He said: "I reserve my position to take proceedings v Catalans Dragons."

Perhaps Hudgell was having a job to attract new sponsors to the Robins even before Folau signed for the Catalans,but now can blame Folau 

6 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Your point being we should all just dicuss sports, not religion or politics.

I'm fine with that

That's one of the things I'm saying, and for the longest time in Australia that was one of RL's main selling points, so long as you were a good player and/or a fair dinkum fan nobody cared about your race, creed, gender, sexuality, politics, etc. 

But on top of that I'm also saying that if RL allows it's self to become politicised then it'll become a political battle ground, and if it becomes a political battle ground there'll be casualties on both sides, and if that were to happen the biggest loser would be the sport it's self.

I have read all through this thread and albeit the vast majority view is that Mr Hudgell is sensationalising the situation (which I most definatley agree with) I will say he is jumping on the very same bandwagon as those journalists who decided to stand aghast at just one part of Mr Folau's original statement, there were 8 catagories of condemnation that he criticized but only one being the inclusion of the word 'Homosexual' that they knew would sell the journals, newspapers, TV and Radio space.

I am not religious at all, but to quote a famous passage from the Bible "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" makes me wonder are the other 7 catagories Mr Folau mentioned being:-

Drunks, Liars, Fornicators, Adulterers, Theives, Atheist's and Idolaters

Are these such commonplace that they can be readily identified with by a lot of people and do not warrent comment, Mr Folau said "Hell awaits You" relating to all 8 are these 7 that insignificant that they deserve no further comment so don't sell media space?

These were my thoughts when it first hit the headlines last year, it's one man's beliefs and thoughts, if everyone is to be castigated for everything they believe say and think very few people would speak to each other.

I remember Isreal Falou as a very very good Rugby League player, and that is how I am looking forward to judging him again, on the field of play.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

My God that involves players, admimistrators, refs, the LGBT, tag RL journos er everyone in TGG and every poster  on here in one way or another! Is nothing sacred?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am not religious at all, but to quote a famous passage from the Bible "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" makes me wonder are the other 7 catagories Mr Folau mentioned being:-

Are these such commonplace that they can be readily identified with by a lot of people and do not warrent comment, Mr Folau said "Hell awaits You" relating to all 9 are these 8 that insignificant that they deserve no further comment so don't sell media space?

You can choose to be a liar or a drunk etc. That's the difference.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What if a sponsor/potential sponsor cites Folau as a reason for withdrawing? That would be pretty good proof!

And what if they site not liking the shape of the ball? You can't just make up reasons after the event so to speak - they can't just 'pull out'. If they could believe me we would have had a statement from them by now. 

38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have read all through this thread and albeit the vast majority view is that Mr Hudgell is sensationalising the situation (which I most definatley agree with) I will say he is jumping on the very same bandwagon as those journalists who decided to stand aghast at just one part of Mr Folau's original statement, there were 8 catagories of condemnation that he criticized but only one being the inclusion of the word 'Homosexual' that they knew would sell the journals, newspapers, TV and Radio space.

Are these such commonplace that they can be readily identified with by a lot of people and do not warrent comment, Mr Folau said "Hell awaits You" relating to all 9 are these 8 that insignificant that they deserve no further comment so don't sell media space?

These were my thoughts when it first hit the headlines last year, it's one man's beliefs and thoughts, if everyone is to be castigated for everything they believe say and think very few people would speak to each other.

I remember Isreal Falou as a very very good Rugby League player, and that is how I am looking forward to judging him again, on the field of play.

Sorry but let's not go back to the rights and wrongs of what he said, Harry - 2 threads were rightly locked because that conversation was done to death. This is very much about the behaviour of Mr Hudgell now and what action (if any) may be taken. 

40 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Sorry but let's not go back to the rights and wrongs of what he said, Harry - 2 threads were rightly locked because that conversation was done to death. This is very much about the behaviour of Mr Hudgell now and what action (if any) may be taken. 

Fair enough, I don't remember commenting on it before, but I get your point.

1 hour ago, RMBJ said:

You can choose to be a liar or a drunk etc. That's the difference.

Do people really choose to be fornicators and adulterers though?

I mean sure in a sense they do, but people are compelled by base instincts to fornicate and adulter, they don't really choose to have that attraction anymore than the teenage boy chooses to be attracted to the girl next door, it's just an uncontrollable biological urge. You could argue that they choose to act on that attraction, but that is no different to homosexuals, something inside them makes them attracted to people of the same sex and they then choose whether or not to act on that compulsion as well, so really at the end of the day what is the difference?

What about Athiest's, do they really choose to be atheists?

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but I don't feel as though I chose to be an atheist so much as i find it impossible to believe any religious nonsense that I've been introduced to. Even if I wanted to believe in e.g. Christianity I don't think that it would be physically possible for me to truly do so, so am I choosing to not believe in Christianity or am I simply incapable of believing it?

Taking it further does the starving man choose to steal the apple, or is he compelled by starvation?

Does the alcoholic choose to drink, or are they compelled to by their addiction?

These are deep philosophical and biological questions and I think you are massively underselling that.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Folau is a moron and I have no respect or sympathy for his views.

Hudgell is the biggest hypocrite in the game.

It would be better if both kept their mouths shut but if they are going to fight in public, I hope they bankrupt each other. 

Stop sitting on the fence. 

10 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Folau is a moron and I have no respect or sympathy for his views.

Hudgell is the biggest hypocrite in the game.

It would be better if both kept their mouths shut but if they are going to fight in public, I hope they bankrupt each other. 

Yes. It really is a contest where you hope it's possible for them both to lose.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

it is the BBC who wrote the article stating 

In an email obtained by the BBC

One might speculate as to who the BBC ‘obtained’ the email from. Unless there is evidence that it was Hudgell, its a bit harsh to declare him damned for a story appearing on the basis of a leak of an email that he sent last week. Fire and brimstone/outrage seems to be the first weapon of choice for some ?

52 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Do people really choose to be fornicators and adulterers though?

I mean sure in a sense they do, but people are compelled by base instincts to fornicate and adulter, they don't really choose to have that attraction anymore than the teenage boy chooses to be attracted to the girl next door, it's just an uncontrollable biological urge. You could argue that they choose to act on that attraction, but that is no different to homosexuals, something inside them makes them attracted to people of the same sex and they then choose whether or not to act on that compulsion as well, so really at the end of the day what is the difference?

What about Athiest's, do they really choose to be atheists?

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but I don't feel as though I chose to be an atheist so much as i find it impossible to believe any religious nonsense that I've been introduced to. Even if I wanted to believe in e.g. Christianity I don't think that it would be physically possible for me to truly do so, so am I choosing to not believe in Christianity or am I simply incapable of believing it?

Taking it further does the starving man choose to steal the apple, or is he compelled by starvation?

Does the alcoholic choose to drink, or are they compelled to by their addiction?

These are deep philosophical and biological questions and I think you are massively underselling that.

I choose to be a fornicator as often as I can 

Sadly girls don't choose to fornicate with me as often as I like 

Such is life 

44 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

I choose to be a fornicator as often as I can 

Sadly girls don't choose to fornicate with me as often as I like 

Such is life 

Did Izzy include self - fornication as a vice destined to send you straight to hell  ? Just asking for a friend 

I'm not really sure of what benefit any of this is? I'm ok with clubs making their views known last week, but surely we just move on, and anything other than distancing yourself from Folau is over the top. 

If he wanted his voice heard (again) why didn't he just go and sound off to the media again, they would lap this one up.

Even when you agree with Hudgell's principle he makes it hard to be on his side1 

Archived