Israel Folau (Merged threads)

RMBJ

Just now, Eddie said:

What about football, where convicted rapists and people jailed for serious assault and even manslaughter have returned to the game? Do you think theirs is more acceptable behaviour than Folau’s?

If you had read my comments carefully you would have noticed that I’m not trying to ban his return to rugby league.

I am just warning that Folau’s comments about gay people are abhorrent and have been widely condemned.

He is high enough profile for that to garner rugby league a negative image no matter how many tries he runs in for Catalans.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If you had read my comments carefully you would have noticed that I’m not trying to ban his return to rugby league.

I am just warning that Folau’s comments about gay people are abhorrent and have been widely condemned.

He is high enough profile for that to garner rugby league a negative image no matter how many tries he runs in for Catalans.

By that logic all sports must have a tarnished image though, and RL already has. 

9 minutes ago, dboy said:

So you can be a homophobic, student-beating, drug cheat like Hardaker...as long as you're not as high-profile as Folau???

Or you can be a convicted wife-beater like Lui???

When will Elstone and SL take steps to block those players?

I am in  no way defending IF - I'm suggesting we have just set ourselves up for a fall, next time one of our players falls foul of the social standards we are now the defenders of.

I think you’re misunderstanding my point here with this whataboutery.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I am from Warrington and I care about it. The two other people from Warrington I have spoken to on this (my brother and my best mate) also care about it and are disappointed in Catalans and glad Wire went nowhere near him. 

Sorry Dave I am not saying you or others don't care just that most fans I speak too don't. And my experience of changing rooms is that most players care very little about Folau and his tweets. 

I’ve just read the Martyn Sadler piece

https://www.totalrl.com/a-foul-or-a-fool/

Homosexuality may be illegal in Tonga but having sex with a fakaleiti is often not considered gay. Fakaleiti are third gender people and are less on the fringes of society than transgender people in the West. They aren’t having sex with a man, it’s a Fakaleiti... the fact a fakaleiti has man bits is incidental.

The westernisation of gay culture may eventually make having sex with a fakaleiti a homosexual activity but it currently isn’t for a number of people in Tonga.

I’d also wonder what would happen if a high profile spokesperson for this websites magazine made high profile anti-homosexual comments which resulted in revenue losses? I’m sure they’d be let go.

That makes Israel Folau’s comments about gay people okay then?

Maybe you should get down to Wigan when they play Catalans and organise some special ‘Hating for Jesus’ counter protest?

Perhaps that will help?

Where on here are you seeing people saying his comments are ok?

My point is that Israel Folau’s views will not be forgotten by the media because he runs in a few tries for Catalans.

This isn’t going away in my view.

People have very quickly forgotten that Lui ACTUALLY beat his partner up.

Folau THINKS gays, atheists, etc. will go to hell.

Who is the bad man?

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

On a really simple basis, Folau is telling a section of our customer base (and an often vulnerable one at that) that they are going to hell. 

When we as a game are working in the community this just is completely at odds with what we are trying to do as a sport. 

Super League needs a few villain’s that fans dislike, Folau certainly will take up that role, and people are well within their rights to dislike him and give him some stick for it, but he still shouldn’t be blocked from signing for a Super League club.

How is this new veto going to work ? Anyone seen the detail ?

From what I have heard SL clubs can veto another clubs signing if they think it will damage the league

On that basis we would probably have missed out seeing Ben Barba. Also doesn't that set club against club and will lead to some interesting conflicts.  

7 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’ve just read the Martyn Sadler piece

https://www.totalrl.com/a-foul-or-a-fool/

Homosexuality may be illegal in Tonga but having sex with a fakaleiti is often not considered gay. Fakaleiti are third gender people and are less on the fringes of society than transgender people in the West. They aren’t having sex with a man, it’s a Fakaleiti... the fact a fakaleiti has man bits is incidental.

The westernisation of gay culture may eventually make having sex with a fakaleiti a homosexual activity but it currently isn’t for a number of people in Tonga.

I’d also wonder what would happen if a high profile spokesperson for this websites magazine made high profile anti-homosexual comments which resulted in revenue losses? I’m sure they’d be let go.

I mean where do you start with that article- it’s borderline condescending, probably insulting to some Tongans and worst of all poorly researched. I mean a quick Google search or look on these forums would tell you that IF has expressed his views in more than a sole Instagram post. Nice job offering an excuse for him as well (he was offering those poor homosexuals redemption apparently).

The mind boggles with some of Sadler’s blinkered views these days. 

42 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

He has a much bigger profile than Zak Hardaker, who is utterly unknown by the wider sporting public.

I severely doubt that Folau’s past is going to be forgotten about by a media that brought it up in an instant when his signing was announced.

The more Folau succeeds the more it will be referenced in my opinion as he has shown no remorse for his comments.

So if a nobody says or does something bad that's OK ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So if a nobody says or does something bad that's OK ?

No it’s not okay.

But it seems bleedingly obvious to me that  when you associate with a very high profile person with homophobic views like Israel Folau then there’s going to be negative publicity.

More so than Zak Hardaker that’s for certain who is a virtual unknown.

4 minutes ago, headtackle said:

How is this new veto going to work ? Anyone seen the detail ?

From what I have heard SL clubs can veto another clubs signing if they think it will damage the league

On that basis we would probably have missed out seeing Ben Barba. Also doesn't that set club against club and will lead to some interesting conflicts.  

Absolutely correct, like everything else Robert Elstone comes up with, it’s a complete cockup.

Sonny Bill Williams signing would have probably been vetoed too, both Hull clubs chairmen have complained he’s been paid too much money.

The idea clubs can block other clubs signings is farcical.

Archived