Israel Folau (Merged threads)

RMBJ

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

How come Hull KR didn't complain about when Warringyon Wolves signed a deal with Emirate Airways... 

Or when they signed the ' doggie fiddler ' ? , Where was Mr Hudgell then ?

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Am I?

Where did I say it’s okay.

I made the point that Israel Folau is extremely well known and Zak Hardaker isn’t.

Is that what’s fuelling all this?

Zak Hardaker was an England International and Super League Winner. However I don’t see how it’s relevant. All players should be judged to the same standards regardless of their public profile. If one player is banned for life for been homophobic, so should the other. Especially when the other has also been charged with drink driving and assault.

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

No it’s not okay.

But it seems bleedingly obvious to me that  when you associate with a very high profile person with homophobic views like Israel Folau then there’s going to be negative publicity.

More so than Zak Hardaker that’s for certain who is a virtual unknown.

Only if everybody keeps on making an issue of it , like Mr Hudgell

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What’s your view?

I don't set myself up as the judge and jury or moral compass for the sport of RL.

Lui and Hardaker have both been convicted of quite horrible crimes, have fulfilled whatever punishment the courts have set and have been offered a route to redemption and reform, by clubs within the game. Wigan made a very big deal about the support they were giving the ZH.

IF has broken no laws, despite lots of people screaming "hate speech" - he's far from alone in quoting and have a literal belief in scripture (various religions). He, like them, is a knob and he is WRONG.

By setting standards against which we are going to morally judge players who are legally employable, we are opening ourselves up to a massive downfall in the future.

After Folau, who's next? A player who gets arrested for assault? A player who is DUI? A player with links to gang culture? A player who smashes up a hotel room?

32 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

That makes Israel Folau’s comments about gay people okay then?

Maybe you should get down to Wigan when they play Catalans and organise some special ‘Hating for Jesus’ counter protest?

Perhaps that will help?

No I don’t think they’re ok in the slightest.

2 minutes ago, dboy said:

I don't set myself up as the judge and jury or moral compass for the sport of RL.

Lui and Hardaker have both been convicted of quite horrible crimes, have fulfilled whatever punishment the courts have set and have been offered a route to redemption and reform, by clubs within the game. Wigan made a very big deal about the support they were giving the ZH.

IF has broken no laws, despite lots of people screaming "hate speech" - he's far from alone in quoting and have a literal belief in scripture (various religions). He, like them, is a knob and he is WRONG.

By setting standards against which we are going to morally judge players who are legally employable, we are opening ourselves up to a massive downfall in the future.

After Folau, who's next? A player who gets arrested for assault? A player who is DUI? A player with links to gang culture? A player who smashes up a hotel room?

Why is stating a pretty obvious comment that Israel Folau is very high profile in comparison to Zak Hardaker (or anyone else you have mentioned) such a contentious remark though?

His comments are naturally going to draw negative publicity from the media no matter what he achieves on the pitch.

I don’t believe that by saying that I’m attempting to be the moral compass of rugby league.

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

Didn't Ben Barba have charges against him for domestic violence before he joined Saints?

Yes , there's a good % of Aussie imports that essentially come over because they are complete knobs and are no longer wanted in OZ because of their bad behaviour 

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Why is stating a pretty obvious comment that Israel Folau is very high profile in comparison to Zak Hardaker (or anyone else you have mentioned) such a contentious remark though?

His comments are naturally going to draw negative publicity from the media no matter what he achieves on the pitch.

I don’t believe that by saying that I’m attempting to be the moral compass of rugby league.

You are attempting to use it as a validation for sanctioning Folau, whilst not sanctioning Hardaker/Lui.

Either we don't accept morally-tainted players or we do. Their profile has nothing to do with it.

Just now, dboy said:

You are attempting to use it as a validation for sanctioning Folau, whilst not sanctioning Hardaker/Lui.

Either we don't accept morally-tainted players or we do. Their profile has nothing to do with it.

Only in your mind am I attempting to do that.

Where am I sanctioning Folau or banning him from the sport?

I’m just making the rather obvious point that he is very high profile in comparison to Zak Hardaker and that will mean a much higher level of bad publicity for rugby league no matter what his success on the pitch.

If you can prove I’ve said otherwise then quote me or drop it.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Only in your mind am I attempting to do that.

Where am I sanctioning Folau or banning him from the sport?

I’m just making the rather obvious point that he is very high profile in comparison to Zak Hardaker and that will mean a much higher level of bad publicity for rugby league no matter what his success on the pitch.

If you can prove I’ve said otherwise then quote me or drop it.

Yes but it's like saying if the pope is done for kiddy fiddling then that's bad , but if it's your local Catholic priest dies it , it's OK 

This thread is a whataboutathon!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This thread is a whataboutathon!

It really isn't.

It's about who draws the line about what is morally acceptable (not legally or criminally - IF has been convicted of nothing), and where is that line drawn.

I'm sure we can all look excitedly ahead to 22nd of April, when a current SL winger goes on trial at Leeds Crown Court.

Innocent until proven guilty of course, but by 'eck those moral compasses will be spinning.

Let's see if Hudgell/Elstone et al raise their heads then.

26 minutes ago, headtackle said:

How is this new veto going to work ? Anyone seen the detail ?

From what I have heard SL clubs can veto another clubs signing if they think it will damage the league

On that basis we would probably have missed out seeing Ben Barba. Also doesn't that set club against club and will lead to some interesting conflicts.  

Apparently it's gone belly up already...

"In an email seen by the BBC, Neil Hudgell, owner of Hull Kingston Rovers, has threatened to sue his own club after becoming aware of Shaun Kenny-Dowall's previous indiscretions in Australia. In the email, Mr Hudgell expresses his disappointment that he did not consult with himself prior to the signing and also claims to have the support of the majority of SL clubs to veto the signing under new rules.

Ian Lenegan meanwhile has also weighed in to back Mr Hudgell in his campaign and, after initially considering signing Kenny-Dowall himself, has today announced that their fixture against Hull KR will be in support of a new 'Say No to Drugs' campaign. It is believed that Zak Hardaker will join Kenny-Dowall in wearing a special charity shirt for the occasion"

Archived